Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Capacity controls for SE's...Already here.!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Capacity controls for SE's...Already here.!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2002, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
And what, pray tell do the analysts say? Andrew's comment aside, the ones I have been reading all say that of the mainline carriers in NAmerica, only AC has done anything remotely sensible to restore fiscal viability to its route network, and responded to low-cost competition without undermining its core business. Week's end financials will tell the story.
Old Jul 30, 2002, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Okay.

Let wait and see.!

Just one point, you say they responded to low cost competition without undermining te core business.

SO...
JAZZ...ZIP..TANGO..JETZ...

Don't undermine there core business.!

Umm SH you do have a way of making me smile.

What exactly do you figure the core business to be/or was.?

Old Jul 30, 2002, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

And this is what they say...

nalysts see clearer skies in Canada.

They expect WestJet to report increased profit tomorrow, and are looking for Air Canada to return to profitability when it reports Thursday, after losing money in six successive quarters.

"When you look at Air Canada compared with the U.S. [full-service airlines], it is going to look extremely good because . . . none of them are even close to profitable," said Fadi Chamoun, an analyst with UBS Warburg Inc. in Toronto.

Air Canada president and chief executive officer Robert Milton has repeatedly said he expects Air Canada to return to profitability in its "seasonally stronger quarters."

In other words, Air Canada might lose money over the full year, but will be profitable in the second and third quarters when vacation travellers help to fill airplanes.

Analysts expect Air Canada to post a profit of roughly $18-million (Canadian) or 15 cents a share for the three months ended June 30, according to a poll by Thomson Financial/First Call. That compares with a loss of $108-million or 90 cents last year.

WestJet is expected to report a profit of $9.6-million or 13 cents a share, compared with a profit of $8.2-million or 12 cents last year.

Shares in both airlines traded much higher yesterday as broader markets soared. Air Canada shares were up 54 cents or 9 per cent to close at $6.55 on the Toronto Stock Exchange. WestJet shares were up $1.42 or 8 per cent to $19.75 on the TSX.

Analysts say Canadian carriers have benefited from a much stronger travel environment than in the United States, as well as the November bankruptcy of Canada 3000 Inc.

Air Canada has already reported that it filled 76 per cent of its seats in the second quarter, compared with a 73.4-per-cent load factor a year earlier when it lost $108-million. Passenger traffic was up 1.4 percentage points in the quarter.

"If you're looking at Air Canada, the numbers are higher year over year and that's because of Canada 3000, absolutely. They picked up most of the traffic from [Canada 3000], so that has been a very positive factor for them," Mr. Chamoun said.

However, he said it is Air Canada's success at cutting costs that will allow the Montreal-based airline to spin a small increase in passengers into a profit.

Air Canada's discount brand Tango has been a key factor in Air Canada's success at lowering costs. By removing business-class seats and cramming more passengers on each plane, Air Canada has been able to carry more people on fewer trips.

Copyright 2002 The Globe and Mail
Old Jul 30, 2002, 3:13 pm
ALW

Bad boy Shareholder, posting that article using Ferrari's ID!

andrew
Old Jul 30, 2002, 3:20 pm
ALW

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">JAZZ...ZIP..TANGO..JETZ...

Don't undermine their core business!</font>
Well Jazz and Jetz don't, although since I confused Jazz and Zip earlier, I think it's a natural mistake, caused by AC.

While I don't like all these spinoff carriers, I'd think selling mainline tickets really really cheap would do more to undermine their core business. It's probably safer to _pretend_ the savings on a Tango flight come from reduced frills and lowered costs instead of simply cutting prices, rather than offer special fares on the mainline carrier and reducing the perceived fair price.

andrew
Old Jul 30, 2002, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

well why not just introduce another Fare class to your Mainline.

Like scum class.

Where you get to eat crap served by rude FA's , the ptich on the seats are 6"
the airplanes are not cleaned.
you bags sometimes arrive

Hang on, now I am confusing the mailine buiness...sorry.

[This message has been edited by Ferrari (edited 07-30-2002).]
Old Jul 30, 2002, 3:36 pm
ALW

Exactly! Better to do that on another carrier (which I emphasize they're _not_) than to try and do it only to the new cheapy flyers on mainline.

By starting Tango, they can claim the lack of a Saturday requirement is somehow possible because they're selling you a bag of chips, or because they took out the J seats. Hard to do that on some cheap mainline seats.

andrew
Old Jul 30, 2002, 9:10 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by AC*SE:
[b]The fact of the matter is that there are still people out there who pay full J.</font>
As far as I understand, this is not the point of this thread. We KNOW that there are people out there who will pay full J and probably a large percentage of SEs do that as well. (I know you mainly fly on full J so you really don't care about upgrading to C class, btw, are you still an SE for 2002 or will you requalify for 2003?)

The point is that if there are large number of J seats remaining on a flight within a 7 days window, why does AC zero out C class? I don't care whether it's key route or not, if there are 20+ J seats open on an A340 with 5 days to go before departure, do they really expect to sell them all?

Honestly, how many SEs are there on each flight on average? I've never seen more than a couple. If we play by the rules by buying H or higher, I expect AC to be fair and release more C seat IF J is empty. I can understand if it's J3 or J5 and they zero it out but NOT WHEN it's J9++.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">But to put aside a dedicated inventory for upgrades implies that the airline will not sell those seats at full fare. That is not a sound practice.</font>
Huh? I wonder why UA & AA does it... Can't the computer pull the seats from the upgrade inventory when regular 'J' is close to sold out? Upgrading is one of the benefit we get for flying 100K per year. If they put aside 5-10% of the J seats for upgrading and they were already taken by the time I request mine, then I'll fully understand. (5-10% is only 1-3 seats on each flight and in reality, not that many people qualify for an upgrade on an international flight these days.)

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Reward seats are a benefit bought and paid for, and the airline sets aside a percentage for that purpose. Upgrades are not. If they are available, they are a nice perk--but when SEs start to bank on upgrades, and no longer buy J fares, the upgrades are undercutting the product.</font>
At last check, upgrades IS listed as a benefit on my SE guide as well as reward travel. (Are you 2002 SE? If so, check out your benefit guide.)

No one is banking on upgrades here. We're upset at AC closing out C class when they know there are no way in hell they can sell all the remaining seats. It's not like there are 20 SEs on each flight, why can't they create a unique fare class for upgrades?

In reality, how many of AC's flights leave with a J cabin which everyone paid full J?
Old Jul 30, 2002, 10:17 pm

By the way Ferrari, I'm glad you got your upgrade. Maybe now you can stop bad-mouthing AC.
Old Jul 30, 2002, 10:27 pm
Original Poster

Hey...

Its nothing more than I am entitled to under the rules, is it not.

It may be bad mouthing from where you sit, but from this side its how I see it.

Gazou2002.
I feel that you are a bit to close to make personel comments like this.
Old Jul 30, 2002, 10:29 pm
Original Poster

Gazou.

Any chance of getting me 2A

Okay ...I guess not.!

Old Jul 30, 2002, 10:35 pm

2A is not available but I can get you 1A.
I'm holding it for you now,give me a shout.
I'm at the SE Desk now.
Old Jul 30, 2002, 10:38 pm

On the Aeroplan side
Old Jul 30, 2002, 10:44 pm
Original Poster

I'm hold....

I will pass on 1A ....the foot rest does not full come up in that seat...

2A is the best on the 763, I think I have ////at the moment...That will do, can you get me a nice brunette along side.
Someone did seat a Italian model next to me once...

Gazou.

Got through, you guys have all gone home for the night I got the standby desk

Thank all the same , I appreciate it.

Old Jul 31, 2002, 7:49 pm

Programs: AC LT E50K; AC*MM; SPG LT Gold
Perhaps I'm too cynical, but I hit the other cap control barrier today. I'm flying revenue to LHR at the end of August and plan to take my daughter on a D award. ITN shows lots of capacity in Y on the return date of August 25th, and the seat maps on PTO show lots of unassigned seats. However, the SE desk reports all YYZ-LHR flights are oversold on that date and therefore there's nothing available for an award. The agent said that the flights were all way oversold, but I had no problem getting an H seat on a dummy booking on the AC website. I don't mind being refused an award if they are oversold, but it is frustrating to see that I can still easily get a revenue seat in a discounted fare class.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.