Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US departure bartender(s) MLL

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2002, 1:05 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by MapleLeaf:
It was me I admit it. When I was unemployed I use to hang around the lounge, pretend I was a bartender and mix drinks for others - the tips weren't bad </font>
I remember at least once "tending" the bar at the old MLL in YOW, as cramped and shabby as it was it was a lot more social than the new one. Used to be that if there was a weather delay all the staff would be busy helping pax rebook at the counter out front and the bar would be self serve, several times I remember pax playing bartender, myself at least once.
Old Aug 1, 2002, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Yes, and you mixed a very wicked Bloody Mary if I recall... That became quite the place during weather delays, for sure. As well as Thursday afternoons as MPs made their way home. Hard to believe so many people could fit into that small MLL, except that the one predating that one was even smaller, and was only accessible with the code of the day [as is Regina today].

ML, where did you say you got those "little" cans of soda?

Old Aug 1, 2002, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

There were 3 to 4 passengers milling about "the bar".The bartender indicated to me that the savings in the fewer numbers of items leaving the MLL,more than madeup for his wages.I did not ask who he worked for,yet he seemed knowledgeable.From my observations,
I might add he was very good at pouring the draught.He had been there less than a week.
To answer Shareholders question,you go down the corridor to the 1st large room on the left.The setup was in front of the alcohol dispensers and fridges.
Old Aug 1, 2002, 2:49 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by MapleLeaf:
Being the cynic here, is it possible AC is moving to a bar system in preparation of starting to charge for alcohol next year? One of the enhanced benefits they will offer to their most loyal frequent fliers in 2003? It would fit with the UA RCC way of doing things.</font>
Good point MapleLeaf. It's quite possible. They'll then start handing out a limited number of drink coupons upon entry. No doubt that alcohol is one of the more expensive component of maintaining a lounge so AC sees a pot of gold there.

I also wouldn't be surprised if they start making everyone buy a lounge pass (whether you're SE or basic). Their excuse will be "everyone else does it, why can't we do it?".

Old Aug 1, 2002, 2:49 pm
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Shareholder:
ML, where did you say you got those "little" cans of soda?

</font>
err, umm... the SAS lounge in CPH actually
Old Aug 1, 2002, 4:55 pm

There was definitely a bartender in the T2 transborder lounge last week, which came as a heckuva surprise to me. According to the MLL staff, it had been that way for about a month. I didn't bring it up here since I assumed it had already been discussed. I'm back through there this Sunday, so I'll see if it's something permanent, or just a concept they're trying out.

-Zombie-
Old Aug 1, 2002, 7:23 pm
Original Member

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FlyerAl:
Perhaps Fisch could tell us what he's taken from the MLL</font>
I have taken some exotic mix, as well as full-size bottle of Naya Water for a YVR-YYZ flight when I had food poisoning. I felt perfectly in my right!

Old Aug 1, 2002, 8:26 pm

Just my 2cents worth but having a bartender would save huge coin. When I worked the CP empress lounge I could not believe the amount of wasteage that would go on. Someone would go out to see if their flight was boarding if it wasn't they would come back open a beer take maybe 2 sips and the leave to go board their flight. Another time I saw a guy pour Baileys into a highball glass and he filled it to the top. He didn't drink even a quarter of it and then he left it. I am not saying that everyone does this but having a bartender there would definatley discourage such practices.
Old Aug 1, 2002, 8:44 pm

If you had to pay for lounge access and then booze on top, hell why not open it to free enterprise and have done right !

I mean, I would rather pay for the choice....If I knew what to expect.
You could do massages/haircuts good food...I would pay for that, without question.

In YVR I vote we get the Cecil or the marble arch to run...I would fly more and more

[This message has been edited by Ferrari (edited 08-01-2002).]
Old Aug 1, 2002, 8:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: UAL Premex
I've never taken anything from the MLL's or RCC's......never thought of it actually....and I don't have a moral problem with it either.

But......I have had 5-6 double vodka sodas when on a 3 hour layover.

The math at say $ 7.00 per double is pretty hefty when you consider the wasteage that was talked about here in other posts......that's also why I stop at 5-6....anymore would be a waste.

[This message has been edited by Carioca Canuck (edited 08-01-2002).]
Old Aug 1, 2002, 10:41 pm

Programs: AlFursan, AAdvantage, Aeroplan, Avios, Bonvoy, All
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">In YVR I vote we get the Cecil or the marble arch to run...I would fly more and more
[This message has been edited by Ferrari (edited 08-01-2002).][/B]</font>
Sadly, 'Arch' is no more.
1D
Old Aug 1, 2002, 10:44 pm
ALW

I'm naively willing to give AC the benefit of the doubt, and assume that they can pay the bartender out of the savings on wastage. (Not so much Diet Cokes and beer cans that walk out, but rather the wasted ones; and having a bartender who knows what s/he is doing is actually more service-oriented than just lining up the bottles and expecting people to make their own drinks).

But I won't be surprised if it turns out they also charge for it, but I can see a reasonable business case for it on wastage alone.

andrew

[This message has been edited by Andrew Webber (edited 08-01-2002).]
Old Aug 2, 2002, 4:58 am
msn

Well, I do recall, with a degree of amazement, seeing a young lady (university age) coming into the MLL, packing her bag with all assortment of snacks and juices, water, and canned non-alcoholic beverages, then grabbing perhaps an apple, and heading out again. It was like watching a professional shoplifter at that rather overpriced store Mrs. Weston owns.
Old Aug 2, 2002, 6:48 am

Programs: AC LT E50K; AC*MM; SPG LT Gold
I've never thought of taking cans out, but I will take a package of nuts or oriental mix to eat en route instead of the awful pretzels.
Old Aug 2, 2002, 10:49 am

Programs: BA GGL, FPC Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
I wouldn't swear to it, but I am pretty sure all of the MLL support staff are employees of a contractor. That's why they don't wear AC uniforms.

I would be willing to wager that AC hires CARA to run the food/bev/cleaning operations of the lounges, and this is CARA's way of trying to cut 'shrinkage.'

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.