Wiki Posts
Search

US departure bartender(s) MLL

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2002, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

US departure bartender(s) MLL

As I do not have the opportunity to watch this forum daily,has anything been posted on this?
Seems,according to barkeep,that the savings on sodas alone pay for his salary.(never mind the tips)
Many sodas were leaving the lounge,as well as beer.The Aircraft lavs were showing many empty cans ,yet no beer or few beer sold on board.
An AC friend tells me there are a number of hidden cameras in the lounge.

[This message has been edited by acysb87 (edited 08-01-2002).]
Old Aug 1, 2002, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Excuse me, but what "barkeep"? And what tips? AC's MLLs don't have such staff, only lounge attendents who maintain the self-serve counters at all the lounges, unlike the US clubs. As for "smuggled" beer cans onboard, I suppose it happens, but how many get opened onboard is a questionable assertion. Then again, maybe it's all those UA folks who go crazy at the sight of free booze in the MLLs and insist on taking some samples of our great Canadian beers back with them!
Old Aug 1, 2002, 8:43 am
Company Representative - Air Canada

I think someone else has also mentioned that they saw a bartender at YYZ transborder lounge.
Old Aug 1, 2002, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Well, I have been at the T2 Transborder lounge a half dozen times this year and never noticed anyone serving, or otherwise hovering around the self-service bars. Just attendents clearing and restocking. Perhaps the lounge is haunted?
Old Aug 1, 2002, 9:45 am
Suspended

It was me I admit it. When I was unemployed I use to hang around the lounge, pretend I was a bartender and mix drinks for others - the tips weren't bad
Old Aug 1, 2002, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Shareholder
I was on a flight from YYZ/ORD on July 11th.At the transborder lounge,as you come thru security,there was a bartender setup at the MLL.There was no charge for any drink.He poured the white wine for my wife and made my Ceasar.I only had one drink,I was not dreaming.I also tipped him,a glass was there for that purpose.The setup was at the main bar.The secondary area bar had no such setup.
Old Aug 1, 2002, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not to doubt you, but one clears security outside the MLL, then enter into the reception area where the infamous "Red Head with glasses" and her colleagues check you in. Then one walks down a corridor pas magazines on the right and phone and storage alcoves on the left. You then arrive at the first large room, which has a wall of magazines and bar, then seating. From there, a room on the right and walkway down past two or three other rooms and finally the computer area.

Unless AC has opened up the "back door" and rearranged the place since late June when I was last there.

Now there was a small room off to the left, opposite the reception area that used to house the Xerox Centre. Have they turned that into a bar? And they have had a table set up with Baileys in the first lounge area to promote their Ireland service. But no bar counter set up.

Anyone else been to the T2 Transborder MLL during July? Have they rennnovated it, or opened the "back end"?
Old Aug 1, 2002, 11:17 am

I too have seen the bartender in the transborder lounge when I went through a month ago, and did a double-take. You can still take a can of pop from the other fridges though (not that I'd ever condone leaving the lounge with it !).

It appears they've erected a counter in front of the existing self-service bar in that main room.

Tom

[This message has been edited by AirTom (edited 08-01-2002).]
Old Aug 1, 2002, 11:48 am
Suspended

Being the cynic here, is it possible AC is moving to a bar system in preparation of starting to charge for alcohol next year? One of the enhanced benefits they will offer to their most loyal frequent fliers in 2003? It would fit with the UA RCC way of doing things.

I don't trust AC to just do something as a service to customers - there is always a reason behind it.
Old Aug 1, 2002, 11:52 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, MR Plat
I've taken cans of pop from the MLL prior to my flight to YVR. The F/As never give you the full can of pop and it's easy to become dehydrated on a 5 hour flight.

Perhaps Fisch could tell us what he's taken from the MLL
Old Aug 1, 2002, 11:53 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Shareholder:
Anyone else been to the T2 Transborder MLL during July? Have they rennnovated it, or opened the "back end"?</font>
I was there mid-July: No rennovations, the "back-end" was closed and no bartender (though it was the AM).

I must admit I did take a can of OJ - though as I had a 2 hour flight on a BEH with no flight attendant I think it was justified

[This message has been edited by Tractor Boy (edited 08-01-2002).]
Old Aug 1, 2002, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, must be all those UA folks who have brought this on us! Since we're in a confessional mood: I usually take a couple of chocolate chip cookies with me since I don't stay at Doubletrees.
Old Aug 1, 2002, 12:42 pm
Suspended

I admit to taking nothing, although I do recall getting home and unpacking my luggage only to find that certain types of beverages have mysteriously appeared.
Old Aug 1, 2002, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by MapleLeaf:
Being the cynic here, is it possible AC is moving to a bar system in preparation of starting to charge for alcohol next year? One of the enhanced benefits they will offer to their most loyal frequent fliers in 2003? It would fit with the UA RCC way of doing things.

I don't trust AC to just do something as a service to customers - there is always a reason behind it.
</font>
ML: You may be on to something here. Would this be a pilot project or a trial ballon?

Old Aug 1, 2002, 12:58 pm

If as RD indicates that it costs on average US$14 to use the lounge (March 27th FlyerTalk Live chat), then I wonder how that amount will change with a bartender looking after the booze when taking into account salaries, renovations etc.... I certainly hope that the two cans of juice I consume in the lounge and the two cans that I take with me for the flight is not going to change the bottom line. A gatekeeper for the hard stuff may indeed do so. Might be a worthwhile experiment for them although I would not be pleased if they began to charge for beverages.

------------------
I miss Canadian Airlines

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.