Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

ac33 yyz // yvr sent trough customs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ac33 yyz // yvr sent trough customs

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2014, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
I had the exact same thing happen at HGH a number of years ago - flight
cancelled due to fog. I had a multi-entry visa, my travel companion had
already used his single-entry one; but the Chinese immigration were
very good about letting us re-enter - what they did was cancel our exit
stamps, and then the next day re-stamped the exit stamp.
They didn't even do that, as I wrote, just waved us through without even needing to show our passports! That's why the next day when going through the exit immigration I was a bit worried about what might happen, having already "left the country" but re-entered without a valid visa. But agents had been informed about our situation and again just waved us through when they saw our flight boarding pass.
Old May 27, 2014, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by RP TPA
Another occasional issue would be our Sydney NS-Yarmouth-Boston flight (back when Yarmouth had commercial service). Sometimes. due to fog, the flight had to overshoot Yarmouth and fly into Boston. All the psgrs would need to clear US immigrations, including the YHZ-Yarmouth ones. Those psgrs obviously didn't have passports. US immigrations was fine with that, usually just asked for any form of ID, Once out of customs, those psgrs would wait for the return Boston-Yarmouth-Sydney flight. By that time, the fog usually had burned away, and we got those psgrs into Yarmouth.
That was likely well before 9.11 and Homeland Security. Before the Americans tightened their borders a Canadian never needed anything more than a valid government ID to show you resided in Canada, not even being a citizen or landed immigrant or resident alien or whatever.
Old May 27, 2014, 6:06 pm

Programs: AC E75K *G
Originally Posted by tireman77
That is my question.
By asking questions about whether it was AC's fault or not, I hereby declare you to be, with no right of appeal or reconsideration, permanently,

an APOLOGIST.
Old May 27, 2014, 6:55 pm

Programs: AC:50K
Originally Posted by Sean Peever
So just wanted to post a fun detour today. Landing in yvr from yyz on flight 33 all passengers were sent to canadian customs ( best guess someone opened the wrong door ).
This happened to me last year (same flight, wrong door opened) but they caught the mistake after letting J cabin off. Fortunately nobody had gone very far, so they were able to corral us, swear to the CBSA supervisor (who took 20 minutes to turn up) that we had all come in from Toronto, and then let us into the domestic side without going through customs.
Old May 27, 2014, 7:02 pm

Programs: Fairmont Platinum | AC Gate Lice Status | VIPorter
Why if you have Nexus can you just scan your eyes? It might help, though no passport on hand if they check you.
Old May 27, 2014, 7:11 pm

Programs: Cessna TTx Self-Fly
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Had something like this happen years ago when my YYZ-LAX flight was cancelled due to weather shortly before boarding. Since everyone had "entered" the US, we had to go through Canadian customs and pick up our bags from the transborder arrivals area. In this case, AC reps accompanied our group through customs and no forms or anything else had to be dealt with. Customs hall was empty at the time so I guess there was no concern about us intermingling with legit US arrivals.

Also had a similar event occur at PVG when our flight had to turn back from taxiing out due to thick fog. The flight was cancelled and we were all off-loaded and led through Chinese immigration/customs. Now in China you'd expect all sorts of bureaucratic hassles and the like due to expired visas, multi-entry on single entry visas, etc. However, the Chinese agents were very blasé about the whole thing and just waved us through. We didn't have to fill anything out or get new visa stamps. Next morning also expected some hassles leaving with already stamped exit visas but once more, no problems.

If I was producing the border series, I'd certainly want to include this vignette as a light hearted event.
I had a similar event in YOW. We had boarded a flight YOW-ORD and had to deplane because the plane had not had its overnight security check. We passed through Canadian customs no questions asked and went back through security and pre-clearance. If only I'd had somewhere to stash the duty free I purchased on my first trip through!
Old May 27, 2014, 7:27 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by zorn
By asking questions about whether it was AC's fault or not, I hereby declare you to be, with no right of appeal or reconsideration, permanently,

an APOLOGIST.
I was simply asking a question, hoping to get an enlightened answer.

So, will you now drown me and if I survive I will be burned and if I die you will bury me as a saint?
Old May 27, 2014, 8:53 pm

Programs: Fairmont, Amex MR, Marriott
But to dive into the realm of academia, I suppose to be blunt you'd first be stereotyped based on your pattern of speech and ethnicity. If the immigration officer was satisfied you "looked and sounded" like a Canadian (and don't challenge me on what that means), then your provincial driver's license or health card would be enough as long as it had a photo on it, with perhaps something like a business card, employer ID or other form of corroborating item (like a credit card). If there was suspicion about one's "Canadianess" then the basic requirement that landed immigrants carry the always required "papers" and naturalized citizens their citizenship card should resolve that issue. Such documents are provided for just such purposes. This would apply for entry by car, boat or plane...or foot.
You grow up in a border town too?

I am Canadian. Not like the beer commercial, an actual Canadian. I am entitled to be in this country by right of citizenship. May have to know border guard lingo or go through hoops, but a passport is not required to enter, or be in, my country.
Old May 27, 2014, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by drwilliams
You grow up in a border town too?

I am Canadian. Not like the beer commercial, an actual Canadian. I am entitled to be in this country by right of citizenship. May have to know border guard lingo or go through hoops, but a passport is not required to enter, or be in, my country.
Even crossed the St. Stephen/Calais main street "bridge" using my enhanced Ontario drivers license (both ways) though had my passport as backup.
Old May 27, 2014, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
With my recent overall YVR experiences being on the decline, my automatic reaction to the OP was that it was a YVR f'up.

Arriving at YVR on AC33 it should be the simple turn left for SYD and turn right for domestic. Does this flight not dock at C51 usually smack dab between int'l and domestic?
Old May 27, 2014, 10:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
C51 is under construction so it was C52. Left for sydney and right for canada was done correctly. It was past the right for canada where the wrong door was opened (and the other ones blocked and closed) causing the problem.

It wasn't caught by staff so the whole 777-200 unloaded into the customs hall from domestic travel.
Old May 27, 2014, 10:25 pm

Programs: AC SE 200K, SPG PLAT, HH DIAMOND
I had a funny situation flying to LGA once. Upon final approach we aborted the landing and ended up landing in EWR. All of us thought we could get off the plane and take a cab to NYC but we were met by US Customs Agents and were told that we could not leave the plane because we declared we were going to NY and that if anyone leaves, they would get a $10,000 fine and since I could not expense that I sat on the plane for two hours till we finally got clearance for our 10 minute flight from EWR to LGA.
My biggest complaint was that there was no in-flight service and no bathroom usage during the flight from EWR-LGA.
Old May 27, 2014, 10:25 pm
Formerly known as I_Hate_US_Airways

Programs: My Loyalty Programs? I now VOTE with my wallet!!!
Thumbs up Nexus...

And hence ANOTHER reason to have Nexus...walk up to the kiosk, punch a few buttons, leave (-;
Old May 28, 2014, 3:06 am

Programs: AC, SPG, HH +others
Originally Posted by AirCanadaFlyer
I had a funny situation flying to LGA once. Upon final approach we aborted the landing and ended up landing in EWR. All of us thought we could get off the plane and take a cab to NYC but we were met by US Customs Agents and were told that we could not leave the plane because we declared we were going to NY and that if anyone leaves, they would get a $10,000 fine and since I could not expense that I sat on the plane for two hours till we finally got clearance for our 10 minute flight from EWR to LGA.
My biggest complaint was that there was no in-flight service and no bathroom usage during the flight from EWR-LGA.
Had a similar experience at SFO when we landed in Oakland. Frustrating part was that my meeting was closer to Oakland and arrived very late after waiting for the fog to clear, flying across the bay & then driving back.
Old May 28, 2014, 5:10 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
This is rather academic because no country would let a Canadian citizen or resident in without a valid passport (issued by Canada or another country) and that country's entry visa, so there's hardly any way a natural born or naturalized Canadian could return without such a passport...even though to get back in does not require one.

But to dive into the realm of academia, I suppose to be blunt you'd first be stereotyped based on your pattern of speech and ethnicity. If the immigration officer was satisfied you "looked and sounded" like a Canadian (and don't challenge me on what that means), then your provincial driver's license or health card would be enough as long as it had a photo on it, with perhaps something like a business card, employer ID or other form of corroborating item (like a credit card). If there was suspicion about one's "Canadianess" then the basic requirement that landed immigrants carry the always required "papers" and naturalized citizens their citizenship card should resolve that issue. Such documents are provided for just such purposes. This would apply for entry by car, boat or plane...or foot.

I agree with you that you could not go to the other country (including USA by air, even with nexus), without a passport.

But let us say that you did not want to waive your passport on return, but just one of the above identification items. I submit that one can be profiled as being Canadian and still have permanent residence status and not be a citizen; in that scenario, is the p.r. card good enough or does one also needs to show the passport.

If you answer yes to showing the passport to my last question, then how else can the Canadian officer know one is a "Canadian (citizen)" versus a permanent resident - just by showing a photo i.d. with proof of residence.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.