Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

ac33 yyz // yvr sent trough customs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ac33 yyz // yvr sent trough customs

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2014, 5:20 am
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
I agree with you that you could not go to the other country (including USA by air, even with nexus), without a passport.

But let us say that you did not want to waive your passport on return, but just one of the above identification items. I submit that one can be profiled as being Canadian and still have permanent residence status and not be a citizen; in that scenario, is the p.r. card good enough or does one also needs to show the passport.

If you answer yes to showing the passport to my last question, then how else can the Canadian officer know one is a "Canadian" versus a permanent resident - just by showing a photo i.d. with proof of residence.
IIRC correctly, to enter the US, even as a US citizen, by air now requires a passport. There was a big hoopla about this a few years ago.

I do not believe this applies to Canadian's (yet). Showing another for of ID is acceptable. In essence, the job of the immigration officer is to a) Identify you and b) determine weather you are admissible into Canada. As a citizen of Canada (and a permanent resident, I would guess) cannot be denied entry. Technically (those who remember driving across the border pre-2001) they are instances where they do not even need to ask for ID. If they cannot identify you, that is where the difficulty begins.

Last edited by PLeblond; May 28, 2014 at 5:43 am Reason: Correct by a decade.
Old May 28, 2014, 5:36 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
I would like to ask anyone on this bulletin board when was the last time you displayed to an immigration officer (when returning by air) an i.d. that was not a passport (in the non-nexus lane), and were allowed entry into Canada.
This includes a nexus card, the enhanced ON driver's license, regular driver's license, provincial health card, or some other form of government-approved photo i.d.

Same question now if returning by car - when was the last time you showed a photo id that was not a passport, nexus card, enhanced driver's license. Note-I have gone by car in either direction to/from USA in the non-nexus lane (as other passengers were not nexus cardholders), and I could get away with showing my nexus card.
Old May 28, 2014, 5:43 am

I would like to ask anyone on this bulletin board when was the last time you displayed to an immigration officer (when returning by air) an i.d. that was not a passport (in the non-nexus lane), and were allowed entry into Canada.
This includes a nexus card, the enhanced ON driver's license, regular driver's license, provincial health card, or some other form of government-approved photo i.d.

Same question now if returning by car - when was the last time you showed a photo id that was not a passport, nexus card, enhanced driver's license. Note-I have gone by car in either direction to/from USA in the non-nexus lane (as other passengers were not nexus cardholders), and I could get away with showing my nexus card.
I haven't in years. Pre 2001 we would sometimes drive across (small) border crossings back into Canada simply by waving to the agent,

That being said, as a Canadian Citizen, you cannot be denied access into Canada regardless of what ID you have on you.

The question then becomes, if you do not have proper ID, how they will identify you? Probably longer questioning of address, DOB mother's maiden name, etc, etc. etc. and they would then check with their files. Maybe even call people you know to confirm your identity. Once they have identified you as 'you the Canadian Citizen', they cannot deny you access.
Old May 28, 2014, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by tireman77
I haven't in years. Pre 2001 we would sometimes drive across (small) border crossings back into Canada simply by waving to the agent,

That being said, as a Canadian Citizen, you cannot be denied access into Canada regardless of what ID you have on you.

The question then becomes, if you do not have proper ID, how they will identify you? Probably longer questioning of address, DOB mother's maiden name, etc, etc. etc. and they would then check with their files. Maybe even call people you know to confirm your identity. Once they have identified you as 'you the Canadian Citizen', they cannot deny you access.
I would put SIN much higher on that list.
Old May 28, 2014, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
As a citizen of Canada (and a permanent resident, I would guess) cannot be denied entry.
PR can be denied entry if they obtained PR through fraud or completed terrorism overseas.
Old May 28, 2014, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I agree with you that you could not go to the other country (including USA by air, even with nexus), without a passport.

But let us say that you did not want to waive your passport on return, but just one of the above identification items. I submit that one can be profiled as being Canadian and still have permanent residence status and not be a citizen; in that scenario, is the p.r. card good enough or does one also needs to show the passport.

If you answer yes to showing the passport to my last question, then how else can the Canadian officer know one is a "Canadian (citizen)" versus a permanent resident - just by showing a photo i.d. with proof of residence.
In 1999 I had to present my passport and PR card upon entry into Canada. The only difference is that my passport was stamped and PR was written beneath my Canadian passport stamp.
(I am a Canadian citizen now so I cannot speak for today.)
Old May 28, 2014, 9:32 am

2005 and it was no problem. Haven't forgotten my passport since then so no chance to try again.

WRT to people suggesting the law could change so you have to show a passport at port of entry: it's not going to happen as it would be blatantly unconstitutional. Canadians have an absolute right to enter Canada. Full stop.

It's also worth nothing that it's not just like you pull out a photocopy and they have to let you in. They can ask you questions as part of that process (for instance, in my case, she asked me where and when I'd last entered the country, which is information they can easily verify). They can detain you while they ensure you are Canadian. They can do pretty much anything they want to confirm you are Canadian. What they CAN'T do is require that you have a specific piece of magic paper to enter.
Old May 29, 2014, 5:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond

I have a friend who recently had a family emergence in YVR two days after she sent her passport for renewal from SFO. She is Canadian, working on an H-1B. She used her NEXUS card in the regular lines at YVR in both directions, explaining the situation, and they let her in both countries without issue.
Old May 29, 2014, 7:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
The only problem is that those documents are not limited to citizens (i.e. work permit holders can get Canadian driving licences after obtaining residence from what I remember. That being said, I never held one. I am excluding PR from this as PR by definition has indefinite right to stay in Canada.)
Work permit is enough to get a Canadian driving licence (in fact you can't use your foreign one after three months).
Old May 29, 2014, 8:05 am

Programs: WestJet Gold; E35K/*Silver
I'm a student and have a Canadian driving licence. When I tried to use it as ID to board a domestic plane, the gate agents scanned my boarding card and that flagged I wasn't Canadian, so they needed my passport.

Not a problem, I always carry it. But it seems the systems know who is a citizen and who is not.
Old May 29, 2014, 8:10 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite
Originally Posted by moorw003
I'm a student and have a Canadian driving licence. When I tried to use it as ID to board a domestic plane, the gate agents scanned my boarding card and that flagged I wasn't Canadian, so they needed my passport.

Not a problem, I always carry it. But it seems the systems know who is a citizen and who is not.
They asked for proof of citizenship on a domestic flight?

I have to say I never experienced that: so far using Canadian DL as a foreigner has always worked for me, ditto on any domestic flight in the US.
Old May 29, 2014, 8:22 am

Programs: AC*SE, AC*MM, SPG Gold, FPC Plat, HHonors Diamond, PC Plat Elite, R&C Club 5C, Hyatt GP
Originally Posted by TravellingSalesman
I have to say I never experienced that: so far using Canadian DL as a foreigner has always worked for me, ditto on any domestic flight in the US.
Same here. I've lived in Canada for 23 years, I'm not a citizen, and I've always used my Canadian DL as photo ID for domestic flights in Canada and the US.
Old May 29, 2014, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by moorw003

Thats weird. You don't have to a citizen to have a driver's licence. Its still a form of government ID. Were you eventually connecting to an international flight?
Old May 29, 2014, 1:15 pm

Programs: FT
I was simply asking a question, hoping to get an enlightened answer.

So, will you now drown me and if I survive I will be burned and if I die you will bury me as a saint?
and I actually would like to know as well and did not think about whose cock up it was until you pointed out it could have been joe blow YVR staff...[equally capable as AC employees of serious cock ups]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.