Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

ac33 yyz // yvr sent trough customs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ac33 yyz // yvr sent trough customs

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2014, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Shareholder
IIRC there is also a special type of provincial drivers license that is recognized by US and Canadian authorities in lieu of a passport though.
To be specifc, the enhanced driver's license. Unfortunately (I guess), these are not valid for air travel - only to cross the land borders.

Also had a similar event occur at PVG when our flight had to turn back from taxiing out due to thick fog. The flight was cancelled and we were all off-loaded and led through Chinese immigration/customs. Now in China you'd expect all sorts of bureaucratic hassles and the like due to expired visas, multi-entry on single entry visas, etc. However, the Chinese agents were very blasé about the whole thing and just waved us through. We didn't have to fill anything out or get new visa stamps. Next morning also expected some hassles leaving with already stamped exit visas but once more, no problems.
That's good they make it easy there, apparently not so much in India - there's a thread on the UA forum from earlier this year about the chaos that ensued when a BOM-EWR flight canceled due to MX after everyone had cleared exit customs. Apparently, they couldn't even get re-booked onto other flights, as India requires your exit is tied to the specific flight you leave on, so everyone had to have their India exit "canceled" before they could be rebooked.
Old May 27, 2014, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by Bonaventure
Chinese immigration is always pretty good for international visitors. What helps that process are the "how did I do today" buttons that probably play a big role in how they treat foreigners.
My kids love pressing the smiley face button.
Old May 27, 2014, 2:53 pm

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by tireman77
AC messed up or YVR messed up?
hmm. you mean that YVR ground staff is the ones that decide where each plane is coming from and determine which door to open?
Old May 27, 2014, 3:01 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by mkjr
hmm. you mean that YVR ground staff is the ones that decide where each plane is coming from and determine which door to open?
That is my question. Every-time I have been stuck waiting for a secured door to open after disembarking, the person who unlocked said door appeared to be dressed like the airport employees/security, not the airline. Even asking me: 'Where are you guys landing from?'

It may be different at different airports t, it may also be a shared responsibility (like luggage) but thats why I am asking: Is this an AC error or a YVR error?
Old May 27, 2014, 4:19 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
So how does one fill out the form when it comes to questions like what countries have you visited prior to entering Canada? I believe Canadian citizens do not require a passport to enter the country as long as they have a valid piece of other government photo ID. It's the Americans who insist Canadians have a passport to enter the US (as do other countries of course) after decades of only requiring valid government ID. IIRC there is also a special type of provincial drivers license that is recognized by US and Canadian authorities in lieu of a passport though.

So, any AC reps at Customs to explain why you all were misdirected? Apologize?
I thought one needed a passport come back to Canada (at least by air), even if one has a nexus card on his/her person. One does not need any card (nexus or passport) to operate the nexus machines, but according to my understanding, one can be asked for a passport at any time - no passport, no more nexus card.

I do not think (at least for return by air) that a special ON driver's license will be satisfactory.

For travel across the Canada-US border by road in either either, I believe a passport, nexus card, or other acceptable government issued i.d. will be acceptable (I am not sure what is considered acceptable by the Canadian or US authorities).
Old May 27, 2014, 4:39 pm

Programs: Fairmont, Amex MR, Marriott
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
I thought one needed a passport come back to Canada (at least by air), even if one has a nexus card on his/her person. One does not need any card (nexus or passport) to operate the nexus machines, but according to my understanding, one can be asked for a passport at any time - no passport, no more nexus card.

I do not think (at least for return by air) that a special ON driver's license will be satisfactory.

For travel across the Canada-US border by road in either either, I believe a passport, nexus card, or other acceptable government issued i.d. will be acceptable (I am not sure what is considered acceptable by the Canadian or US authorities).
Canadian citizens need to convince the border guard they are Canadian citizens to enter. You do not need a passport to enter Canada as a Canadian.
Old May 27, 2014, 5:24 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by drwilliams
Canadian citizens need to convince the border guard they are Canadian citizens to enter. You do not need a passport to enter Canada as a Canadian.
In the absence of a passport, what is acceptable identification. for land crossings, and what is acceptable identification for air crossings?

Are the air crossing requirments different, or the same, if flying into Canada from USA, versus from another country?
Old May 27, 2014, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by emcampbe
That's good they make it easy there, apparently not so much in India - there's a thread on the UA forum from earlier this year about the chaos that ensued when a BOM-EWR flight canceled due to MX after everyone had cleared exit customs. Apparently, they couldn't even get re-booked onto other flights, as India requires your exit is tied to the specific flight you leave on, so everyone had to have their India exit "canceled" before they could be rebooked.
One can only hope the new PM can make good on moving that country out of its bureaucratic nightmare of the 19th century! India could have been a great country now had it not clung to the notions of caste and hierarchy, and overlaid the regime of British bureaucracy and governance with this archaic indigenous inertia! At least the rest of the world has benefited from the Indian diaspora and make good use of these talented individuals that India itself drove away in droves!!
Old May 27, 2014, 5:30 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

In the absence of a passport, what is acceptable identification. for land crossings, and what is acceptable identification for air crossings?

Are the air crossing requirments different, or the same, if flying into Canada from USA, versus from another country?
In Quebec, and 'enhanced' driver's licence (with am RFID chip) can be used to cross the land border by car when driving to US. I don't know what is required to get back into Canada.

As for flying to the US, you need a passport to fly to US. Again, I am not sure what you need to fly back to Canada.
Old May 27, 2014, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond

Exactly the same-there is a reason why both transborder and international arrives in the same customs hall.
Old May 27, 2014, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by tireman77
In Quebec, and 'enhanced' driver's licence (with am RFID chip) can be used to cross the land border by car when driving to US. I don't know what is required to get back into Canada.

As for flying to the US, you need a passport to fly to US. Again, I am not sure what you need to fly back to Canada.
The driving licence can also be used to go back to Canada.
Old May 27, 2014, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat

This is rather academic because no country would let a Canadian citizen or resident in without a valid passport (issued by Canada or another country) and that country's entry visa, so there's hardly any way a natural born or naturalized Canadian could return without such a passport...even though to get back in does not require one.

But to dive into the realm of academia, I suppose to be blunt you'd first be stereotyped based on your pattern of speech and ethnicity. If the immigration officer was satisfied you "looked and sounded" like a Canadian (and don't challenge me on what that means), then your provincial driver's license or health card would be enough as long as it had a photo on it, with perhaps something like a business card, employer ID or other form of corroborating item (like a credit card). If there was suspicion about one's "Canadianess" then the basic requirement that landed immigrants carry the always required "papers" and naturalized citizens their citizenship card should resolve that issue. Such documents are provided for just such purposes. This would apply for entry by car, boat or plane...or foot.
Old May 27, 2014, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, that's part of the T&Cs of the NEXUS program...cannot use the NEXUS lanes or machines without having both documents. However, you could use any other lane (car or at the airport customs hall) with just a provincial driver's license or similar Canadian/provincial government issued photo ID (other than the NEXUS card in such a case, i.e. not using the NEXUS lane).
Old May 27, 2014, 5:44 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS

In this case, the travellers had never left Canada, so had no obligation to carry a passport or NEXUS. All the discussion about passports, NEXUS, DL etc. is interesting but Shareholder's question was what do you put on the immigration form when you are directed through immigration from a domestic arrival.
Old May 27, 2014, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, that's part of the T&Cs of the NEXUS program...cannot use the NEXUS lanes or machines without having both documents. However, you could use any other lane (car or at the airport customs hall) with just a provincial driver's license or similar Canadian/provincial government issued photo ID (other than the NEXUS card in such a case, i.e. not using the NEXUS lane).
The only problem is that those documents are not limited to citizens (i.e. work permit holders can get Canadian driving licences after obtaining residence from what I remember. That being said, I never held one. I am excluding PR from this as PR by definition has indefinite right to stay in Canada.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.