Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC Presence on FT

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2015, 8:55 am

Programs: AC E35k, HHonors Silver
Personally I think the Ben(s) left because of the embarrassment of still having dirty planes and call centre wait-times that defy belief, despite having promised, committed or otherwise said they'd something about it. When it was clear that they couldn't [for reasons], then they had no place else to go.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 8:57 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by AtlanticXpat
Personally I think the Ben(s) left because of the embarrassment of still having dirty planes and call centre wait-times that defy belief, despite having promised, committed or otherwise said they'd something about it. When it was clear that they couldn't [for reasons], then they had no place else to go.
Wait times had dropped to less than 5 minutes a few months ahead of Ben Lipsey's departure. As for dirty planes....well....
Old Dec 14, 2015, 8:59 am
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
Originally Posted by YEG2MM
Ben was personally attacked. I believe we all agree that it is okay to argue or debate ideas. That is healthy. There were people attacking Ben's integrity and stating that he should be fired. Those comments don't reasonably appear to qualify as healthy debate.

Which Ben?

Last edited by tcook052; Dec 14, 2015 at 10:40 am Reason: snark
Old Dec 14, 2015, 9:39 am

Programs: AC E35k, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Wait times had dropped to less than 5 minutes a few months ahead of Ben Lipsey's departure. As for dirty planes....well....
Well what?

I was on a slightly cleaner than usual 767 last Tuesday night. The effect was spoiled somewhat by the 6ft piece of metal trim from below the luggage bins that fell off upon landing. Fortunately missing (just) the J pax sitting below. Not either of the Bens fault of course.

The generally filthy nature of the planes, as oft reported here, should be a continued source of embarrassment for AC Leadership. Since they've singularly failed to address it then, I maintain, only slightly tongue in cheek, that their credibility in other matters was damaged. So they took their ball and went home.

I think it's a shame they went, but I think it was naive to expect to engage with FT posters as an engaged part of the AC customer base and not expect blowback. Or to put it another way, they didn't have an endgame other than fading into the night.

This community has all sorts in it. At one extreme there are the AC haters and at the other the AC koolaid crowd. Most of us sit somewere in the middle. I do find the sycophancy and preening amongst some who enjoy the personal contact, the relationship, the access to the Bens and more than anything else enjoy showing that they're in the loop so to speak, rather hard to bear. And no, SAP, I'm not singling you out in this regard.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 9:47 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by AtlanticXpat
Well what?

I was on a slightly cleaner than usual 767 last Tuesday night. The effect was spoiled somewhat by the 6ft piece of metal trim from below the luggage bins that fell off upon landing. Fortunately missing (just) the J pax sitting below. Not either of the Bens fault of course.

The generally filthy nature of the planes, as oft reported here, should be a continued source of embarrassment for AC Leadership. Since they've singularly failed to address it then, I maintain, only slightly tongue in cheek, that their credibility in other matters was damaged. So they took their ball and went home.

I think it's a shame they went, but I think it was naive to expect to engage with FT posters as an engaged part of the AC customer base and not expect blowback. Or to put it another way, they didn't have an endgame other than fading into the night.

This community has all sorts in it. At one extreme there are the AC haters and at the other the AC koolaid crowd. Most of us sit somewere in the middle. I do find the sycophancy and preening amongst some who enjoy the personal contact, the relationship, the access to the Bens and more than anything else enjoy showing that they're in the loop so to speak, rather hard to bear. And no, SAP, I'm not singling you out in this regard.

It was a source of embarrassment, and because Ben was engaged in this community, he started to resolve the issue. First, he made sure the fins were deep cleaned, and then started to look into the systemic issue.

But absolutely Ben was ashamed. He used those words himself.

The thing is. One can voice displeasure about something without mounting personal attacks.

There are times when I read what some say and I think "do you kiss your mother with that mouth?" (so to speak)*

*not in any way directed at you. Just saying in some cases....
Old Dec 14, 2015, 10:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by kwflyer
Which Ben?
The one who brought valuable insider insight to the forum. The one who helped out everywhere he could.

The one whose departure has made the forum less useful.

Oh wait, that describes both of them.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 10:31 am

Programs: AA, AC
Originally Posted by canadiancow
There are 11 types of people on FT.

Those who appreciated Ben.
Those who think Ben is a lying corporate shill.
Those who understand binary.

Some of us are completely indifferent. So that would make it 100 types.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 11:07 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by After Burner

Some of us are completely indifferent. So that would make it 100 types.
That makes 10 of us.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 11:13 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by Tax Dude
That makes 10 of us.
+1
Old Dec 14, 2015, 11:41 am

There are 11 types of people on FT.

Those who appreciated Ben.
Those who think Ben is a lying corporate shill.
Those who understand binary.
Are you implying that if I am classified as the 11th type of person, it precludes me from also being at least one of the other two types?
Old Dec 14, 2015, 12:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
The one who brought valuable insider insight to the forum. The one who helped out everywhere he could.

Did you buy him a drink?
Old Dec 14, 2015, 12:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by DrPete
Are you implying that if I am classified as the 11th type of person, it precludes me from also being at least one of the other two types?
Well, no. You're right, of course.

The first two are mutually exclusive, but the third is independent.

Did you buy him a drink?
I don't believe so. BL wasn't at the YYZ do long enough, but I probably would have. I would buy either of them a drink if they came out to a do in the future though.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 12:39 pm

Programs: *$ Green

Oh yeah I think I know who you are talking about.

Are you talking about the one that posted on this forum for years before he worked at AC and that genuinely wanted to continue contributing to the community but from the inside?
Old Dec 14, 2015, 1:33 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

Some of us are living in Web 2.0. (or higher)

Social media are computer-mediated tools that allow people to create, share, or exchange information, career interests, ideas, and pictures/videos in virtual communities and networks.

Welcome to the world where the customer is Queen. And legacy organizations are no longer in control.
That (bolding) scares the crap out of me. Uninformed, unregulated, mostly ignorant and entitled people are now in charge.

The inmates are running the asylum. Help us!!!
Old Dec 14, 2015, 1:37 pm
Suspended

Well, no. You're right, of course.

The first two are mutually exclusive, but the third is independent.

I don't believe so. BL wasn't at the YYZ do long enough, but I probably would have. I would buy either of them a drink if they came out to a do in the future though.
I think they would both enjoy a nice warm glass of Bottega Gold.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.