Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

bad luck with priority boarding lately

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2014, 5:20 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by agjil
I think it's fair game when someone questions me why I'm cutting in line and board earlier than him/her.
It happens, and I learned to live with it.
I don't live with it. I am under no obligation to answer questions from another passenger. If they want to get rude or aggressive I'm more than willing to reply in kind.
Old May 7, 2014, 6:07 am

Programs: 100K
This is actually more of an existential question that gets at the root of our uniquely egalitarian Canadian view of society and class conflict in general.

It's very unCanadian to stand out and be exceptional. So using the priority lane is wrought with these kind of issues. Anything that separates us, 1%ers, from the masses is bound to elicit a plebeian reactionary response. In the US and Asia such behavior would be not just fully accepted but embraced but here it must be masked and contorted so it doesn't seem like you're in any way better than anyone else.

Originally Posted by jcamp028
I hate when infrequent fliers don't understand any of the rules.

On a recent flight my wife and I (both star gold) got to the gate a little bit later than usual. A large queue had already formed and people were slowly boarding. Naturally by this point the majority of those boarding priority had already went through and were on the plane.

However, seeing as how AC always makes it a point to say that priority passengers are free to use the priority lane "at their leisure," we went ahead and skipped the line. My wife and I arrived just as it seemed the gate agent was about to call forth a woman and her husband in the regular economy lane; however seeing us line up, the gate agent decided to process us first.

All of a sudden we got a scowl and attitude from the woman lined up in the regular lane, and she proceeded to ask my wife and I if "we thought we owned the place," making a bit of a scene. It was awkward as the gate agent chose not to say anything (despite it being an AC program/rule they've set up for certain passengers), so I just gave her a look and proceeded. Funny enough this also happened on another recent occasion...

Anyone else have any similar experiences? I feel like the general populous who fly once in a while just don't understand that the airlines choose to provide FF'ers with additional perks...and when you try to use those perks, they take it as if you're personally being rude. Trust me, we are both very modest and are far from the DYKWIA type.
Old May 7, 2014, 9:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by airbus320
AC: Board the UA way; it works.
They did a trial of zone-based boarding last year, but nothing ever came of it
Old May 7, 2014, 11:07 am

Programs: WS Gold, Bonvoy Titanium Elite, AC 100K, INtercontinetal Ambassador, Avis Prefered Plus
In YYC the A1 - A9 gates now require a shuttle to the aircraft so the AC staff feel they don't have to call priority boarding anymore, last week they just called general boarding twice and I got the privilage of standing becasue all seats were taken. IMO it is the AC staff who make priority boarding a hassle, UA has a better system.
Old May 7, 2014, 11:25 am

AC need the following system

SE, business
elites, *G
prestige, *S,
general

I hate that they board all status at the same time.
Old May 7, 2014, 11:40 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by MaydayMayday

SE, business
elites, *G
prestige, *S,
general

^
Old May 7, 2014, 11:56 am

Programs: AC E50K, TK Elite
Prestige and *S don't usually get priority boarding anyways so you could probably take that group out and add them to general
Old May 7, 2014, 12:38 pm

Programs: AC SE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Silf
Prestige and *S don't usually get priority boarding anyways so you could probably take that group out and add them to general
Replace them with TD/CIBC Aeroplan boarding
Old May 7, 2014, 12:42 pm

Programs: AC *P

Most people I have come across in this situation are actually quite okay with it. In return, I let them go first if they would have been the next ones to board and usually this is appreciated.
Old May 7, 2014, 1:09 pm

Programs: AP SE
Recent experience in EWR and LGA has been that there are more priority than not and there is a huge line-up before the split between priority/regular boarding.

Given the influx of "priorities" from the new CC benefits, I think some prioritization of priorities is absolutely required.

At least as a SE, I still get "boarding group 2" on United.

As for the OP...a simple "Sorry, I've paid for priority boarding privileges" usually turns off the scowls, since there are few GAs who will ever jump to your defense.
Old May 7, 2014, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by MaydayMayday

SE, business
elites, *G
prestige, *S,
general

Originally Posted by martyYOW
Replace them with TD/CIBC Aeroplan boarding
Both of these

As far as the OP goes, It happens. If the person is agressive or rude, then I don't engage them.
Old May 7, 2014, 2:17 pm

Programs: AC 100K SE (*G), Marriott P, SPG G, Hilton D
Try flying from YYC to YVR on a Thursday afternoon -- it seems like over 70% of the passengers are priority boarding! By the time you get to regular boarding you'd be lucky to find a spot in the overhead for your bag. It can be annoying at times. On routes like this they should definitely break it down by SE / J first, then other priority, then the rest.
Old May 7, 2014, 4:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK*S, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by philelite
Try flying from YYC to YVR on a Thursday afternoon -- it seems like over 70% of the passengers are priority boarding! By the time you get to regular boarding you'd be lucky to find a spot in the overhead for your bag. It can be annoying at times. On routes like this they should definitely break it down by SE / J first, then other priority, then the rest.
The only reason that I always use priority boarding is to make sure that my wife and I get space directly over our heads for our respective Tumi's (that was a bit of a DYKWIA-esque comment!).

Otherwise I would actually just prefer to board last. Don't want to be on the plane any longer than required.

But I hate when my carry-on is located nowhere near me!
Old May 7, 2014, 7:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by philelite
In my travels... YYC - YYZ and YYZ YVR are worse, lol!
Old May 7, 2014, 10:19 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
That stuff never bothers me, I usually point to the sign and say something like "earned it" or "its a choice"

Last Friday when I went to the AVIS line at YVR there was one agent working and he was finishing with a preferred client and there was four lined up at the other regular line, I saw them, I walked up to the preferred, I glanced over at the four with a smile, showed my Drivers licenced , signed the card, collected the keys and in 20 seconds I was walking away.

As I passed the four they looked at me and I simply said, " earned it" and walked on.

Most AC staff simply do not want confrontation!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.