Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

bad luck with priority boarding lately

Old May 6, 2014, 7:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK*S, SPG Gold

I hate when infrequent fliers don't understand any of the rules.

On a recent flight my wife and I (both star gold) got to the gate a little bit later than usual. A large queue had already formed and people were slowly boarding. Naturally by this point the majority of those boarding priority had already went through and were on the plane.

However, seeing as how AC always makes it a point to say that priority passengers are free to use the priority lane "at their leisure," we went ahead and skipped the line. My wife and I arrived just as it seemed the gate agent was about to call forth a woman and her husband in the regular economy lane; however seeing us line up, the gate agent decided to process us first.

All of a sudden we got a scowl and attitude from the woman lined up in the regular lane, and she proceeded to ask my wife and I if "we thought we owned the place," making a bit of a scene. It was awkward as the gate agent chose not to say anything (despite it being an AC program/rule they've set up for certain passengers), so I just gave her a look and proceeded. Funny enough this also happened on another recent occasion...

Anyone else have any similar experiences? I feel like the general populous who fly once in a while just don't understand that the airlines choose to provide FF'ers with additional perks...and when you try to use those perks, they take it as if you're personally being rude. Trust me, we are both very modest and are far from the DYKWIA type.
Old May 6, 2014, 7:57 pm

Location: AC Million Miler & long time SE; StarwoodPlat for 10+ yrs & lifetime Gold; Hilton Honours Diamond; IC Ambassador; AMEX Plat;Avis Presidents Club; Airmiles GOLD; and just about everything else!
Programs: aeroplan & 25+year loyalty
Happens ALL the time. Get used to it.
Old May 6, 2014, 8:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: S100KMM,SPG Platinum,Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by 100,000miler
Happens ALL the time. Get used to it.

AGREE. I just mow past them and continue to board.
Old May 6, 2014, 8:02 pm
Original Poster

It's fine if it's a common thing...I just wonder if maybe there's more AC could be doing to control the situation. It seems that planes are really full lately and the gates are just a mess of people.
Old May 6, 2014, 8:03 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by SEMM
AGREE. I just mow past them and continue to board.
Yup. Happens all the time. The simple separation between the lines is often just a little post.

On UA, they have the corrals which makes a huge difference if I show up late.
Old May 6, 2014, 8:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Diabeetus
Yup. Happens all the time. The simple separation between the lines is often just a little post.

On UA, they have the corrals which makes a huge difference if I show up late.
talk about feeling like cattle
Old May 6, 2014, 8:15 pm

Programs: AC SE, Bonvoy Tit/LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Enterprise Gold, UA*S, Accor Gold, Hz 5*
Those people have to walk past me once I'm seated in J, then they understand that I do own the place.

Jokes aside, I do somehow feel bad about it. Especially once I hit the lineup in the jetbridge 20 seconds later and the scowlers are standing behind me. Then I remember the 120 segments I flew last year compared to the 4 the scowlers flew...
Old May 6, 2014, 9:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jcamp028
Welcome to my life
Old May 6, 2014, 9:46 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Touch) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.2.1.2228 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Welcome to my life
Lol ^
Old May 6, 2014, 11:14 pm

Programs: A3*G, OZ*G, OW Sapphire
Relish the moment and fire off some good ol DYKWIA, you know you want to. (Just as long as you're sitting in front)
Old May 6, 2014, 11:17 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
It's too much "reality" television. All that vulgar hair pulling and mouthing off is the new normal. Drama has taken the place of grace.
Old May 7, 2014, 12:37 am

In a way, it's kind of obvious the average person who doesn't fly often doesn't know about ff programs and the privileges that come with them, priority boarding being one of them.
I think it's fair game when someone questions me why I'm cutting in line and board earlier than him/her.
It happens, and I learned to live with it.
Old May 7, 2014, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[...]
she proceeded to ask my wife and I if "we thought we owned the place,"

"Yes we do."

Then what?
Old May 7, 2014, 4:23 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by flyquiet
It's too much "reality" television. All that vulgar hair pulling and mouthing off is the new normal. Drama has taken the place of grace.
Bingo. +1
Old May 7, 2014, 4:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's fine if it's a common thing...I just wonder if maybe there's more AC could be doing to control the situation. It seems that planes are really full lately and the gates are just a mess of people.
AC: Board the UA way; it works.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.