Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TATL E U/G plus $500

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2014, 6:45 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by zorn
Probably one of those dozen out of the eleven that blows AC out of the water in every way possible.
Oh ya, list even one. Re-read it. TATL AND TPAC.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 6:46 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by rankourabu

As for Asia AND Europe - jarusoba only buys J fares - so why should he care about flying one airline, he just doesnt want to connect via the USA, no?
EVA to Asia, LOT or OS to Europe, all 3 superior to AC, and he still gets his precious AE miles!
Makes no difference what you are imposing on others. No airline you listed flies non-stop/direct both TPAC and TATL ex-Canada except AC.

I'm in this exact same boat as Jarusoba.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 7:24 pm

Programs: AC: Ac*A, , Nexus: Expired
Originally Posted by Stranger
He bought a flex instead of Tango in order to upgrade based upon what the program was when he entered into a contract with AC. Then after they entered into a contract, AC unilaterally changed the terms.

Which is violation of contract law, hence should be found null and void in court.

The OP should be offered an upgrade with no co-pay. Of course if AC wanted to offer a full refund and he agreed, that would be OK too.

Ditto for all people who purchased a flex fare before the co-pay was announced. If I were one of them I would agitate for a class action suit.
Your looking at it the wrong way. Flex terms and conditions do NOT say that it is eligible for an upgrade. The upgrade terms and conditions state you need a minimum of flex fare. AC did NOT change the terms of carriage, they changed benefits of a FF program - which they are entitled to do.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
lol, good catch! was supposed to be half a dozen. And no, Aer Lingus is not in the top half.

As for Asia AND Europe - jarusoba only buys J fares - so why should he care about flying one airline, he just doesnt want to connect via the USA, no?
EVA to Asia, LOT or OS to Europe, all 3 superior to AC, and he still gets his precious AE miles!

And, obviously, its the OP's fault for buying a ticket at flex (at a substantial premium to lowest-cost fare) and expecting to upgrade at the program conditions when he bought the ticket. Silly OP, he thought that AC would not change the rules on him.
It is a dangerous assumption to say that the fare difference was significant. I have seen TATLs with less than $50 each direction between tango and flex recently. It almost looks like the price gap is closing. It is also important to note that the OP is still getting value for his flex ticket over tango, 100% miles for one and advanced seat selection as another.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 7:38 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by danapop
Your looking at it the wrong way. Flex terms and conditions do NOT say that it is eligible for an upgrade. The upgrade terms and conditions state you need a minimum of flex fare. AC did NOT change the terms of carriage, they changed benefits of a FF program - which they are entitled to do.
Emphasis added. You know, to illustrate a deceptive bait and switch. Whether or not AC has the right to do something doesn't make it right. Anyone who bought Flex with the intent to try their hand at Aerolotto got the shaft.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by ffsim
Emphasis added. You know, to illustrate a deceptive bait and switch. Whether or not AC has the right to do something doesn't make it right. Anyone who bought Flex with the intent to try their hand at Aerolotto got the shaft.
That very well is the case and I am in no way defending AC, I just don't think that there is an entitlement to a refund. But where does one draw the line? The OP bought a ticket in 2013 for use in 2014... The T&C are never indefinite, so i guess there should be some guidelines for timelines to announce changes.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by ffsim
Finally, frequent flyer program T&C are not part of the ticket...
Old Apr 15, 2014, 7:44 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Dorian

I'm well aware of fare jumps on AC, so much so that I was the one to get the big one rectified with AC execs.
Good, they owe you one. Or Two.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 8:14 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Finally, frequent flyer program T&C are not part of the ticket...
Where did I suggest that they are?

I'm saying OP bought a ticket which allowed for a potential upgrade using e-upgrade credits. AC later decided that a co-pay would be required in addition to the e-upgrade credits. That's a bait and switch by any definition. "Buy this because you'll be able to do that." Then, "oh, sorry, we've changed our minds. Tough luck."
Old Apr 15, 2014, 8:25 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by canopus27

It's all very eggsciting.
LOL - post of the week!
Old Apr 15, 2014, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That would be for a court to decide.

Whether the conditions that come in a part of the FF program are an inherent part of the contract. I say they are. Surely the purchaser takes these into account when making the purchase. Which would be a reasonable indicator that they are part of the contract.

That the airlines BS claims differently does not necessarily make it true. Of course they'll try.

What is true is that going to the CTA will take you nowhere. Courts are a different story.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 2:09 am

Programs: AC*50K MM
Driving Mid-Tier Elites to the Competition

Like many, I am not too impressed with the new $500 per leg requirement for TATL flights on AC hardware for 50Ks. I'm just not following their logic.

I'm pricing out some of my European flights for the year and if I book a Econ Flex fare, and if I'm lucky get upgraded, the cost of the flight is around $2500-3000 (including the $1000 screw you fee). In pricing out a discounted J fares on Lufthansa, Swiss Air, and United I can guarantee a business seat AND get 150% points for around $3000. This is a case for a flight I'm looking at to Spain and Amsterdam.

So, AC is going to lose $6K+ of business from me it appears all because they are too damn greedy and don't seem to value those that support them the most. I'm probably preaching to the choir, but I just don't get it.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 2:17 am

Programs: Free Agent
[QUOTE=jarusoba;22710173

This SE has no loyalty to AC. But this SE also wants to fly non-stop or direct flights in J or F to Europe and Asia...
[/QUOTE]
+1 with my own twist:
... with the cabin offering I want- private, direct aisle access. and should this change, then my value equation changes and therefore so will $$ flow.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 3:11 am
jbb

Programs: SQ *Gold
With the co-pay, my decision is that I'm not going to play the eupgrade game. Instead of buying Flex, I'll buy a Tango fare on AC or search around for a discounted J class fare on another airline.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 5:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by jbb
With the co-pay, my decision is that I'm not going to play the eupgrade game. Instead of buying Flex, I'll buy a Tango fare on AC or search around for a discounted J class fare on another airline.
So to summarize this thread:

E50s and others: We know we are being screwed, and have looked at alternatives
Handful of SEs: AC has the right to screw you, we still love AC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.