E-upgrades - what am I doing wrong?

Old Feb 15, 14, 8:08 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: YYZ
Programs: AC Elite, *A Gold
Posts: 75
E-upgrades - what am I doing wrong?

Last year, I had no problem using the last of my e-upgrades in January-February, but this year I am ending the year without 22 points (I know, I know, others have a lot more) because I just can't seem to score an upgrade. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Can someone tell me:

1. If I request an upgrade within the Elite 50K window, does that request remain on my account? Why do they ask me again at check-in whether I want to e-upgrade?
2. Does the time of check-in affect one's place in the queue?
3. If I request an upgrade 5 days out and a SuperElite traveler requests one an hour before the flight, does he or she still get priority over me?
4. If I haven't been upgraded by time of boarding, is it best to wait around to see if someone gets called or just get on my economy seat?
Tired of Traveling is offline  
Old Feb 15, 14, 9:04 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: I'm From Here
Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Posts: 3,854
Originally Posted by Tired of Traveling View Post
Last year, I had no problem using the last of my e-upgrades in January-February, but this year I am ending the year without 22 points (I know, I know, others have a lot more) because I just can't seem to score an upgrade. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Can someone tell me:

1. If I request an upgrade within the Elite 50K window, does that request remain on my account? Why do they ask me again at check-in whether I want to e-upgrade?
2. Does the time of check-in affect one's place in the queue?
3. If I request an upgrade 5 days out and a SuperElite traveler requests one an hour before the flight, does he or she still get priority over me?
4. If I haven't been upgraded by time of boarding, is it best to wait around to see if someone gets called or just get on my economy seat?
1. They are deducted right away when you make the request. You don't have to re-request at check-in. You will see your seat is Business Standby and your economy seat

2. Anecdotal evidence suggests if there is a tie (Same Status/Fare Class) tie goes to who checked in first.

3. Yes, day of is re-sorted by status

4. I would hang around until they say the front is full, unless you need the overhead space. Doesn't hurt to check with the agent, too. If they do clear the upgrade, they should come down to get you your new seat but people have reported that as hit and miss.
lcohen999 is offline  
Old Feb 15, 14, 10:08 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: YEG
Programs: AC: Ac*A, , Nexus: Expired
Posts: 1,447
More importantly what routes are you trying to upgrade? International / domestic? Domestic routes like YVRYYZ and YYCYYZ are notoriously super elite heavy and very hard to score an eup
danapop is offline  
Old Feb 15, 14, 11:26 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: YYZ
Programs: MR Plat
Posts: 335
Originally Posted by lcohen999 View Post
You will see your seat is Business Standby and your economy seat
So you get to keep your originally selected seat if you don't end up getting upgraded? Or do you just get put into a pool of pax and end up in the middle seat? :P
Globex is online now  
Old Feb 15, 14, 11:34 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Programs: Altitude E50
Posts: 107
Originally Posted by danapop View Post
More importantly what routes are you trying to upgrade? International / domestic? Domestic routes like YVRYYZ and YYCYYZ are notoriously super elite heavy and very hard to score an eup
+1

E50 here, too. I've had great success getting rid of all my eup credits on TATL flights by being flexible with routing and flying through places like YEG or YUL, instead of YVR/YYC/YYZ. In contrast, long domestic flights have been hit/miss for me.
DrDogger is offline  
Old Feb 15, 14, 11:35 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Programs: Altitude E50
Posts: 107
Originally Posted by Globex View Post
So you get to keep your originally selected seat if you don't end up getting upgraded? Or do you just get put into a pool of pax and end up in the middle seat? :P
You keep your original seat.
DrDogger is offline  
Old Feb 15, 14, 11:45 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: YVR
Programs: AC 35K, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Posts: 333
I definitely have found it harder to clear this Jan/Feb. 0/5 as an E50 my last flights to/from YVR (mostly transborder). Heck, my last flight last week YYC to YVR on a A320 didn't clear! I asked the GA who said only one person was upgraded at the gate on the flight.
eyeball1 is offline  
Old Feb 15, 14, 2:11 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Toronto
Programs: aeroplan 50K
Posts: 188
Agreed. Very difficult to use up those soon-to-expire eups.
mlbmlb is offline  
Old Feb 15, 14, 4:52 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: YWG
Programs: Free Agent
Posts: 1,334
Use a tool to check for R space; keeps you sane vs waiting at the gate.
Sometimes the change fee is worth it to get the upgrade.
canolakid is offline  
Old Feb 15, 14, 5:35 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: YYC
Programs: AC SE100K, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 4,033
Originally Posted by danapop View Post
More importantly what routes are you trying to upgrade? International / domestic? Domestic routes like YVRYYZ and YYCYYZ are notoriously super elite heavy and very hard to score an eup
+1. Chatting with some YVR agents last week and they mentioned that 156 has essentially become a SE-only upgrade route now that its a 777. Seems a flat bed for a red-eye is popular.
rehoult is offline  
Old Feb 15, 14, 9:34 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 87
E-upgrades - what am I doing wrong?

I got upgraded on AC 156 last week even as a humble E35k. I even got the upgrade in the lounge instead of waiting until the gate. Didn't realise it was a flat bed until I got on the plane. Must have been lucky!
gonzalesflyer is offline  
Old Feb 15, 14, 10:11 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: YEG
Programs: AC: Ac*A, , Nexus: Expired
Posts: 1,447
Originally Posted by gonzalesflyer View Post
I got upgraded on AC 156 last week even as a humble E35k. I even got the upgrade in the lounge instead of waiting until the gate. Didn't realise it was a flat bed until I got on the plane. Must have been lucky!
Probably depends on the day of week too. Monday or Friday - good luck!
danapop is offline  
Old Feb 15, 14, 10:40 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 87
E-upgrades - what am I doing wrong?

It was Monday (i.e. departing YVR Monday night). Probably Sunday night is busier...
gonzalesflyer is offline  
Old Feb 15, 14, 11:20 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: YEG
Programs: AC: Ac*A, , Nexus: Expired
Posts: 1,447
Originally Posted by gonzalesflyer View Post
It was Monday (i.e. departing YVR Monday night). Probably Sunday night is busier...
I doubt Sunday would be busier. Most business travelers travel during the work week, in my experience. I never travel on a weekend unless it is 100% absolutely necessary.

You probably have just been a little unlucky. I was E35, E50 ad E75 all last year and didnt have too much trouble with Eups when I wanted them.
danapop is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread