FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   E-upgrades - what am I doing wrong? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1552068-e-upgrades-what-am-i-doing-wrong.html)

Tired of Traveling Feb 15, 2014 7:08 am

E-upgrades - what am I doing wrong?

Last year, I had no problem using the last of my e-upgrades in January-February, but this year I am ending the year without 22 points (I know, I know, others have a lot more) because I just can't seem to score an upgrade. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Can someone tell me:

1. If I request an upgrade within the Elite 50K window, does that request remain on my account? Why do they ask me again at check-in whether I want to e-upgrade?
2. Does the time of check-in affect one's place in the queue?
3. If I request an upgrade 5 days out and a SuperElite traveler requests one an hour before the flight, does he or she still get priority over me?
4. If I haven't been upgraded by time of boarding, is it best to wait around to see if someone gets called or just get on my economy seat?

lcohen999 Feb 15, 2014 8:04 am

Originally Posted by Tired of Traveling (Post 22353037)
Last year, I had no problem using the last of my e-upgrades in January-February, but this year I am ending the year without 22 points (I know, I know, others have a lot more) because I just can't seem to score an upgrade. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Can someone tell me:

1. If I request an upgrade within the Elite 50K window, does that request remain on my account? Why do they ask me again at check-in whether I want to e-upgrade?
2. Does the time of check-in affect one's place in the queue?
3. If I request an upgrade 5 days out and a SuperElite traveler requests one an hour before the flight, does he or she still get priority over me?
4. If I haven't been upgraded by time of boarding, is it best to wait around to see if someone gets called or just get on my economy seat?

1. They are deducted right away when you make the request. You don't have to re-request at check-in. You will see your seat is Business Standby and your economy seat

2. Anecdotal evidence suggests if there is a tie (Same Status/Fare Class) tie goes to who checked in first.

3. Yes, day of is re-sorted by status

4. I would hang around until they say the front is full, unless you need the overhead space. Doesn't hurt to check with the agent, too. If they do clear the upgrade, they should come down to get you your new seat but people have reported that as hit and miss.

danapop Feb 15, 2014 9:08 am

More importantly what routes are you trying to upgrade? International / domestic? Domestic routes like YVRYYZ and YYCYYZ are notoriously super elite heavy and very hard to score an eup

Globex Feb 15, 2014 10:26 am

Originally Posted by lcohen999 (Post 22353233)
You will see your seat is Business Standby and your economy seat

So you get to keep your originally selected seat if you don't end up getting upgraded? Or do you just get put into a pool of pax and end up in the middle seat? :P

DrDogger Feb 15, 2014 10:34 am

Originally Posted by danapop (Post 22353469)
More importantly what routes are you trying to upgrade? International / domestic? Domestic routes like YVRYYZ and YYCYYZ are notoriously super elite heavy and very hard to score an eup

+1

E50 here, too. I've had great success getting rid of all my eup credits on TATL flights by being flexible with routing and flying through places like YEG or YUL, instead of YVR/YYC/YYZ. In contrast, long domestic flights have been hit/miss for me.

DrDogger Feb 15, 2014 10:35 am

Originally Posted by Globex (Post 22353796)
So you get to keep your originally selected seat if you don't end up getting upgraded? Or do you just get put into a pool of pax and end up in the middle seat? :P

You keep your original seat.

eyeball1 Feb 15, 2014 10:45 am

I definitely have found it harder to clear this Jan/Feb. 0/5 as an E50 my last flights to/from YVR (mostly transborder). Heck, my last flight last week YYC to YVR on a A320 didn't clear! I asked the GA who said only one person was upgraded at the gate on the flight.

mlbmlb Feb 15, 2014 1:11 pm

Agreed. Very difficult to use up those soon-to-expire eups.

canolakid Feb 15, 2014 3:52 pm

Use a tool to check for R space; keeps you sane vs waiting at the gate.
Sometimes the change fee is worth it to get the upgrade.

rehoult Feb 15, 2014 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by danapop (Post 22353469)

+1. Chatting with some YVR agents last week and they mentioned that 156 has essentially become a SE-only upgrade route now that its a 777. Seems a flat bed for a red-eye is popular.

gonzalesflyer Feb 15, 2014 8:34 pm

I got upgraded on AC 156 last week even as a humble E35k. I even got the upgrade in the lounge instead of waiting until the gate. Didn't realise it was a flat bed until I got on the plane. Must have been lucky!

danapop Feb 15, 2014 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by gonzalesflyer (Post 22356421)
I got upgraded on AC 156 last week even as a humble E35k. I even got the upgrade in the lounge instead of waiting until the gate. Didn't realise it was a flat bed until I got on the plane. Must have been lucky!

Probably depends on the day of week too. Monday or Friday - good luck!

gonzalesflyer Feb 15, 2014 9:40 pm

It was Monday (i.e. departing YVR Monday night). Probably Sunday night is busier...

danapop Feb 15, 2014 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by gonzalesflyer (Post 22356643)
It was Monday (i.e. departing YVR Monday night). Probably Sunday night is busier...

I doubt Sunday would be busier. Most business travelers travel during the work week, in my experience. I never travel on a weekend unless it is 100% absolutely necessary.

You probably have just been a little unlucky. I was E35, E50 ad E75 all last year and didnt have too much trouble with Eups when I wanted them.