FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - E-upgrades - what am I doing wrong?
View Single Post
Old Feb 15, 2014, 8:04 am
lcohen999

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by Tired of Traveling
Last year, I had no problem using the last of my e-upgrades in January-February, but this year I am ending the year without 22 points (I know, I know, others have a lot more) because I just can't seem to score an upgrade. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Can someone tell me:

1. If I request an upgrade within the Elite 50K window, does that request remain on my account? Why do they ask me again at check-in whether I want to e-upgrade?
2. Does the time of check-in affect one's place in the queue?
3. If I request an upgrade 5 days out and a SuperElite traveler requests one an hour before the flight, does he or she still get priority over me?
4. If I haven't been upgraded by time of boarding, is it best to wait around to see if someone gets called or just get on my economy seat?
1. They are deducted right away when you make the request. You don't have to re-request at check-in. You will see your seat is Business Standby and your economy seat

2. Anecdotal evidence suggests if there is a tie (Same Status/Fare Class) tie goes to who checked in first.

3. Yes, day of is re-sorted by status

4. I would hang around until they say the front is full, unless you need the overhead space. Doesn't hurt to check with the agent, too. If they do clear the upgrade, they should come down to get you your new seat but people have reported that as hit and miss.