FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   New PE fare classes are out! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1551918-new-pe-fare-classes-out.html)

gabdusch Feb 18, 2014 3:57 pm

Now when booking a E or N fares segments that do not feature a PE cabin book into M.

Does this mean M class will now automatically earn 125% AQM like E and N or will the COS be manually added by the system afterward only for itinerary that included PE?

Nothing can go wrong here... :rolleyes:

yvr76 Feb 18, 2014 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by gabdusch (Post 22373079)
Now when booking a E or N fares segments that do not feature a PE cabin book into M.

Does this mean M class will now automatically earn 125% AQM like E and N or will the COS be manually added by the system afterward? Nothing can go wrong here :rolleyes:

Why would M earn a COS bonus? M is a Flex fare and earns 100% AQM on both domestic and international routes.

It's the same when you book Business Lowest fares - all Y cabins book into Flex and there is no COS bonus.

gabdusch Feb 18, 2014 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by yvr76 (Post 22373091)
Why would M earn a COS bonus? M is a Flex fare and earns 100% AQM on both domestic and international routes.

It's the same when you book Business Lowest fares - all Y cabins book into Flex and there is no COS bonus.

Well, it states "125% Aeroplan Miles (Altitude Qualifying Miles) for flights operated by Air Canada" on the booking page.

Just like last year when booking a O fare the non-PE segments earned 125% and booked in B.

canadiancow Feb 18, 2014 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by yvr76 (Post 22373091)

I had never thought about it, but I don't think that's an "obvious" conclusion.

If I buy a JCDZ fare, I expect 150%. If I buy an OEN fare, I expect 125%.

What they're doing makes some sense, but it's far from clear.

yqtyyz Feb 18, 2014 6:47 pm

Just when I figured out O, they add more letters to the soup. My head hurts thinking about it.

I'm just glad I booked a few PE-instant upgrade-into-J trips on Saturday evening (even snagged the last R1 upgrade on an April YVR-HKG flight) for the 8 x 2 e-upgrade requirement... all O class.

So far, 9 out of 9 upgrades in advance this year, and all in advance. ^ Might have to keep a running total like some of you folks.

**Edit**
When I go to my email purchase confirmation, most of the segments say Premium Economy O and one of them was in B.

After upgrading successfully, the email confirmation now reads as Business Class (flexible) R

yvr76 Feb 18, 2014 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by gabdusch (Post 22373132)
Well, it states "125% Aeroplan Miles (Altitude Qualifying Miles) for flights operated by Air Canada" on the booking page.

Just like last year when booking a O fare the non-PE segments earned 125% and booked in B.

PE Flexible will book economy segments in Latitude (B) and both will get 125% AQM. PE Restricted will book economy segments in Flex (M) so the latter gets 100% AQM.

jarusoba Feb 18, 2014 7:24 pm

Do they still sell O class at the old price? If they did, I could buy a couple of O fares to HKG and upgrade. It's way cheaper than B fares!!

yqtyyz Feb 18, 2014 7:39 pm

The pricing may appear similar, but double-check to confirm that you are selecting the option that takes the least amount of e-upgrade credits from you (it may cost you a little more $).

Then again, you may find flights where it costs less money, but takes more credits (17 vs. 8).

Darn right it beats the usual Latitude fares. They go for double, usually.

Originally Posted by jarusoba (Post 22374053)
Do they still sell O class at the old price? If they did, I could buy a couple of O fares to HKG and upgrade. It's way cheaper than B fares!!

gabdusch Feb 18, 2014 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 22373771)

What they're doing makes some sense, but it's far from clear.

My point exactly. AC Altitude, if you're reading this thread, I think we would appreciate some clarification on the matter.

Will the whole trip earn 125%, even if some segments don't have PE cabins?

swedish_canadian Feb 18, 2014 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by gabdusch (Post 22374224)
My point exactly. AC Altitude, if you're reading this thread, I think we would appreciate some clarification on the matter.

Will the whole trip earn 125%, even if some segments don't have PE cabins?

Yes it will. If you book YYZ - YVR - HKG in premium economy and you choose YYZ - YVR flight with no PE cabin it will book into B class on that leg. So you will get 125% on the whole trip.

FlyerTalker683455 Feb 18, 2014 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by yqtyyz (Post 22374124)
The pricing may appear similar, but double-check to confirm that you are selecting the option that takes the least amount of e-upgrade credits from you (it may cost you a little more $).

Then again, you may find flights where it costs less money, but takes more credits (17 vs. 8).

Darn right it beats the usual Latitude fares. They go for double, usually.

opposite happened to me. choosing "lowest" used 17 upgrades to asia in PE and priced 50% higher than "flexible" using 8 credits...

gabdusch Feb 18, 2014 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by swedish_canadian (Post 22374526)
Yes it will. If you book YYZ - YVR - HKG in premium economy and you choose YYZ - YVR flight with no PE cabin it will book into B class on that leg. So you will get 125% on the whole trip.

Not if you book it it in PE Lowest (E,N class) - then the other segments book into Flex (M, but I've seen V also). Hence the question.

maradori Feb 18, 2014 11:09 pm

Sorry for hijacking the thread with a tangential question

But I can't help but notice the flex buckets is only MHQUV :confused: :confused: :confused: ... just 5 flex buckets!?

Argonaut1000 Feb 19, 2014 12:51 am

Originally Posted by maradori (Post 22375163)
Sorry for hijacking the thread with a tangential question

But I can't help but notice the flex buckets is only MHQUV :confused: :confused: :confused: ... just 5 flex buckets!?

And many of the Asian routes no longer have V fares available

yvr76 Feb 19, 2014 1:17 am

Originally Posted by yvr76 (Post 22373992)
PE Flexible will book economy segments in Latitude (B) and both will get 125% AQM. PE Restricted will book economy segments in Flex (M) so the latter gets 100% AQM.

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 22373771)

I don't like this either, and did write to them about it a couple years ago.

However, your expectations don't reflect reality.

I have flown Z many times and economy segments on Dash-8s (which book into some Flex fare) only earn 100%. If you book J (Exec Flexible), then economy segments get 125%.

My reservations have always said "150%" status miles/AQM. What matters is the fare class of the Economy segments, which is dictated by whether or not you're booking Business/PE Flexible or Lowest.

AC can definitely improve the fare verbiage on the confirmation page, but I'm sure they're protected elsewhere if you tried to book this and then complain for missing AQM.