Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 24left
Jan 18 2021 TC issues Airworthiness Directive for the 737 MAX
Link to post https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32976892-post4096.html

Cabin photos

Post 976 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29534462-post976.html
Post 1300 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29780203-post1300.html

Cabin Layout

Interior Specs can be found here https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/fly/onboard/fleet.html

- Window seats may feel narrower to come as the armrests are placed "into" the "curvature" of the cabin.
- Seats with no windows feel even more narrower as there is no space created by the curvature of window.
- All bulkhead seats have very limited legroom.
- Seats 15A, 16A, 16F, 17A and 17F have limited windows.
- Exit rows 19 and 20 have more legroom than regular preferred seats.

Routes

The 737 MAX is designated to replace the A320-series. Based on announcements and schedule updates, the following specific routes will be operated by the 737 MAX in future:

YYZ-LAX (periodic flights)
YYZ-SNN (new route)
YUL-DUB (new route)
YYZ/YUL-KEF (replacing Rouge A319)
YYT-LHR (replacing Mainline A319)
YHZ-LHR (replacing Mainline B767)
Hawaii Routes YVR/YYC (replacing Rouge B767)
Many domestic trunk routes (YYZ, YVR, YUL, YYC) now operated by 7M8, replacing A320 family
Print Wikipost

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2019, 8:55 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM
You can keep calling MCAS a "stall prevention" system, but that doesn't make it any more true. The MAX is flyable if "control is returned to the pilots" - they just need to keep it in trim manually, and this doesn't "defeat the purpose" of anything, any more than it does any other part of the auto trim system, or the autopilot system, on any plane that relies on such things -- which is to say every modern commercial aircraft.

If you want to use pitot tubes as an example, try this: Incident: Virgin Australia A320 near Perth on Sep 12th 2015, automated flight system issue. Sure "control is returned to the pilots" but then they have to diagnose the issue correctly and still fly the plane. In this case software issues on the A320 prevented a correct diagnosis and nearly led the pilots to stall the aircraft on approach. If they had and 145 people were killed this would be more than just a footnote, it would be up there with AF447. Or how about AoA failures? Accident: Qantas A333 near Learmonth on Oct 7th 2008, sudden inflight upset injures 74 people on board ... uncommanded pitch down based on erroneous AoA, resulting from software bugs - just happened at an altitude that managed not to kill anyone. Returning control to the pilots in the event of catastrophic sensor failures doesn't result in a magically successful outcomes on any commercial aircraft - it requires correct diagnosis of the failures and requires the pilots to fly and land the aircraft in absence of automated systems that they usually rely on, and sometimes requires them to keep fighting those automated systems even when they have "control".

The problem with MCAS isn't that it exists. The problem, from what we know so far, and that has been repeatedly beaten to death is 1) it was extremely poorly designed and 2) it was not properly documented, likely to cut costs. From the preliminary reports we also don't know if it was only MCAS that contributed to the problems that lead to these two accidents, which is why the plane will likely remain grounded in the US much longer than it takes Boeing to get the FAA to approve the MCAS fixes, not to mention the promises of TC and EASA to get involved to certify the aircraft again in Canada and Europe.
bimmerdriver likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
You can keep calling MCAS a "stall prevention" system, but that doesn't make it any more true. The MAX is flyable if "control is returned to the pilots" - they just need to keep it in trim manually, and this doesn't "defeat the purpose" of anything, any more than it does any other part of the auto trim system, or the autopilot system, on any plane that relies on such things -- which is to say every modern commercial aircraft.
That the pilot can do the same that the MCAS does not not mean it's not a stall prevention system. The plane will stall if the trim is not used, either way.
If you want to use pitot tubes as an example, try this: Incident: Virgin Australia A320 near Perth on Sep 12th 2015, automated flight system issue. Sure "control is returned to the pilots" but then they have to diagnose the issue correctly and still fly the plane. In this case software issues on the A320 prevented a correct diagnosis and nearly led the pilots to stall the aircraft on approach. If they had and 145 people were killed this would be more than just a footnote, it would be up there with AF447. Or how about AoA failures? Accident: Qantas A333 near Learmonth on Oct 7th 2008, sudden inflight upset injures 74 people on board ... uncommanded pitch down based on erroneous AoA, resulting from software bugs - just happened at an altitude that managed not to kill anyone. Returning control to the pilots in the event of catastrophic sensor failures doesn't result in a magically successful outcomes on any commercial aircraft - it requires correct diagnosis of the failures and requires the pilots to fly and land the aircraft in absence of automated systems that they usually rely on, and sometimes requires them to keep fighting those automated systems even when they have "control".
I think one of the points I have been making is precisely that primary instruments are invariably the weakest link. Surely pitot but even more so AOA devices. And that while relying on a single one is borderline criminal and downright crazy, relying on more than one will still result in an unacceptably high risk of spurious MCAS triggering. Or return control to the pilots, back to the Airbus pitot scenario. So yes, the MCAS problem is that it exists, that the remedy will kill the patient more often than the sickness itself.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by Stranger
I think one of the points I have been making is precisely that primary instruments are invariably the weakest link. Surely pitot but even more so AOA devices. And that while relying on a single one is borderline criminal and downright crazy, relying on more than one will still result in an unacceptably high risk of spurious MCAS triggering.

You're aware that the proposed MCAS changes will cause it to be disabled in the event of AoA disagree? How is that "an unacceptably high risk of spurious MCAS triggering"?

Originally Posted by Stranger
Or return control to the pilots, back to the Airbus pitot scenario. So yes, the MCAS problem is that it exists, that the remedy will kill the patient more often than the sickness itself.

This is literally nonsense.
bimmerdriver likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 5:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by RangerNS
A pointless effort and announcement right now. Airbus has years of orders backlogged.

And announcing going with Airbus, even without canceling with Boeing, that airline would lose any leverage they might have with Boeing, having already shown their hand.
I think you are misinterpreting the point I was making.

@fjordland was suggesting it was a problem with AC's corporate culture that they had failed to dig into the MCAS system in depth before buying the MAX. i pointed out that 79 other airlines apparnetly had done the same thing and that not a single airline had expressed safety concerns about the MAX as an explanation for ordering the competing Airbus product.

Of course since the crash both Lion Air and Garuda have already shown their hands by announcing their intent to cancel their Boeing MAX orders.
canopus27 and RangerNS like this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 8:32 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 30, 2020 at 9:57 pm
Old Apr 11, 2019, 7:22 pm

Programs: AC E50K, NEXUS
The latest video by Juan Brown is linked below. Based on the preliminary report, he is taking the position that the pilots made two significant errors. First, they did not control the speed of the aircraft. Second, they reengaged the MCAS by closing the breakers. Both of these actions are contrary to the runaway stabilizer trim check list and the AD that was issued after the first crash.

I don't see how anyone can consider this report and not attribute at least a portion of the blame on the pilots. Personally, I don't disagree that MCAS has major deficiencies, but I believe this crash could have been prevented by the pilots. Interestingly, Juan makes the comment at around 13:25 that when a pilot takes charge of a situation, "years and years of training begin kicking in" to help resolve the situation. I guess you can't expect years and years of training to kick in when you only have 200 hours of flying time. Again, I'll side with Sullenberger who said that 200 hours of flying time is "an absurdly low amount for someone in the cockpit of a jet airliner."

Here is the video:
Old Apr 11, 2019, 7:32 pm

Programs: *G
Sourced from Bloomberg:
https://www.smh.com.au/business/comp...12-p51dew.html

"Boeing said in a legal document that large, upgraded 737s "cannot be used at what are referred to as 'high/hot' airports.....Boeing cited the performance of the 737 Max 8 in a case brought before the US International Trade Commission in 2017. Boeing charged that unfair competition from Bombardier - which beat out Boeing for a large order from Delta Air Lines - threatened its 737-700 and Max 7, the smallest of its upgraded single-aisle jets. By pointing out the limitations of the Max 8, the planemaker sought to preserve market share for the 700 and Max 7."
Old Apr 11, 2019, 8:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 30, 2020 at 9:57 pm
Old Apr 11, 2019, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by fin 645
Sourced from Bloomberg:
https://www.smh.com.au/business/comp...12-p51dew.html

"Boeing said in a legal document that large, upgraded 737s "cannot be used at what are referred to as 'high/hot' airports.....Boeing cited the performance of the 737 Max 8 in a case brought before the US International Trade Commission in 2017. Boeing charged that unfair competition from Bombardier - which beat out Boeing for a large order from Delta Air Lines - threatened its 737-700 and Max 7, the smallest of its upgraded single-aisle jets. By pointing out the limitations of the Max 8, the planemaker sought to preserve market share for the 700 and Max 7."
...and yet Boeing happily sold the aircraft to Ethiopian knowing that they would be operated from ADD. I'm sure that will look good on them when they end up in court.

Originally Posted by bimmerdriver
The latest video by Juan Brown is linked below. Based on the preliminary report, he is taking the position that the pilots made two significant errors. First, they did not control the speed of the aircraft. Second, they reengaged the MCAS by closing the breakers. Both of these actions are contrary to the runaway stabilizer trim check list and the AD that was issued after the first crash.

I don't see how anyone can consider this report and not attribute at least a portion of the blame on the pilots. Personally, I don't disagree that MCAS has major deficiencies, but I believe this crash could have been prevented by the pilots. Interestingly, Juan makes the comment at around 13:25 that when a pilot takes charge of a situation, "years and years of training begin kicking in" to help resolve the situation. I guess you can't expect years and years of training to kick in when you only have 200 hours of flying time. Again, I'll side with Sullenberger who said that 200 hours of flying time is "an absurdly low amount for someone in the cockpit of a jet airliner."

Here is the video: 737 Max Update 10 April 2019 Runaway Stab Trim Procedures
Thanks for sharing the video. After watching it here are my thoughts: It is entirely possible that the actions of the pilots as described above and in the video were contributing factors that led to the crash, but we don't have enough information from the preliminary investigation to make that determination. So no I am not yet ready to "attribute a portion of the blame to the pilots" (although that may well come out in the final investigation. In particular:
  • The emergency directive from Boeing tells the pilots to switch off the auto throttle. We don't know whether they did so or not. The emergency directive from Boeing does not say anything about what to do once auto throttle is disengaged - in particular there is nothing about keeping speed below a certain level to ensure that the pilots can actually manually trim. But I suppose that's only a minor detail that the pilots didn't need to know - just like MCAS.
  • Pilots know that reduced speed = increased angle of descent. As such their natural instinct would be to maintain/increase speed. Again no warning from Boeing to keep speed down.
  • The pilots re-engaged the stab trim. The inference is that they did this because they were inexperienced third world dudes who didn't know what they were doing. That is a possibility. Another possibility is that having followed the instructions, they were still unable to control the plane and they had determined it was going to crash. Rather than simply following the instructions to their death, they tried the only thing they could think of to regain control of stab trim. As we know that didn't work out too well for them, but I'm not willing to assume that they were happily controlling the severely out of trim aircraft and just decided to re-engage the stab trim for jollies.

In terms of "years and years" of training, the pilot had 8,000 hours of flying time. That is years and years of training/experience. Agree that his copilot at 350 hours was on the light side by North American standards but there is a far different training regime in other parts of the world so it's not quite apples to apples.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 12:25 am

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Lev has exactly and concisely captured my opinions, too. I'm not going to rule out blaming the pilots until the final report comes out, but I can envision plenty of scenarios that would outwardly look very similar to what we know so far, and leave even Sully in a very bad place.

BTW, the FO in the incident flight may have had a small number of hours, but my reading of what he said & did is that he was right on the mark - he was the one who first called for the stab trim cut-out, I see no evidence that he did anything incorrect with his flight controls, and he advised the captain and assisted as best able. This is not at all like AF 447, where it was obvious the primary problem was sitting in the right seat.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 1:27 am

Originally Posted by The Lev
  • The emergency directive from Boeing tells the pilots to switch off the auto throttle. We don't know whether they did so or not. The emergency directive from Boeing does not say anything about what to do once auto throttle is disengaged - in particular there is nothing about keeping speed below a certain level to ensure that the pilots can actually manually trim. But I suppose that's only a minor detail that the pilots didn't need to know - just like MCAS.
  • Pilots know that reduced speed = increased angle of descent. As such their natural instinct would be to maintain/increase speed. Again no warning from Boeing to keep speed down..
Agree with everything you wrote but take a bit of exception to the above. Managing your speed is part of keeping the aircraft in the air and piloting 101; you don't need an AD from Boeing to know that you don't keep TOGA power applied in level/descending flight, run the aircraft what, 100+mph over max speed, have overspeed alarms going off, etc. Now maybe this can be explained by the sheer amount of information snd problems they were dealing with; disagreeing instruments, alarms, stick shaker, trim issues, etc. etc. But it still happened, and will still likely be a contributing factor in the final report.
bimmerdriver likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
Agree with everything you wrote but take a bit of exception to the above. Managing your speed is part of keeping the aircraft in the air and piloting 101; you don't need an AD from Boeing to know that you don't keep TOGA power applied in level/descending flight, run the aircraft what, 100+mph over max speed, have overspeed alarms going off, etc. Now maybe this can be explained by the sheer amount of information snd problems they were dealing with; disagreeing instruments, alarms, stick shaker, trim issues, etc. etc. But it still happened, and will still likely be a contributing factor in the final report.
This is what the CX pilot on a.net has to say:

"With the onset of stick shaker the Boeing recommendation is to advance thrust to maximum, adjust pitch to avoid the ground, level the wings (do not change flap or gear configuration) and retract speed brake (737 QRH)."

Leads me to think: contributing factor? Sure. But pilot error? Seems debatable. Would any other pilot have done differently?
Old Apr 12, 2019, 11:04 am

Intersting read:

Old Apr 12, 2019, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
For those who cannot see the original twitter link.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 12:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yyznomad
For those who cannot see the original twitter link.
Or if you want a much easier reading experience: https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1...177137152.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.