Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 24left
Jan 18 2021 TC issues Airworthiness Directive for the 737 MAX
Link to post https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32976892-post4096.html

Cabin photos

Post 976 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29534462-post976.html
Post 1300 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29780203-post1300.html

Cabin Layout

Interior Specs can be found here https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/fly/onboard/fleet.html

- Window seats may feel narrower to come as the armrests are placed "into" the "curvature" of the cabin.
- Seats with no windows feel even more narrower as there is no space created by the curvature of window.
- All bulkhead seats have very limited legroom.
- Seats 15A, 16A, 16F, 17A and 17F have limited windows.
- Exit rows 19 and 20 have more legroom than regular preferred seats.

Routes

The 737 MAX is designated to replace the A320-series. Based on announcements and schedule updates, the following specific routes will be operated by the 737 MAX in future:

YYZ-LAX (periodic flights)
YYZ-SNN (new route)
YUL-DUB (new route)
YYZ/YUL-KEF (replacing Rouge A319)
YYT-LHR (replacing Mainline A319)
YHZ-LHR (replacing Mainline B767)
Hawaii Routes YVR/YYC (replacing Rouge B767)
Many domestic trunk routes (YYZ, YVR, YUL, YYC) now operated by 7M8, replacing A320 family
Print Wikipost

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2018, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Cozmo456
I will go back to my original gripe.

Yes I hate this plane. Preferred seats make it tolerable.

But if they swap the equipment, they do not map the seats over. So I lose my preferred seat and am sitting in row 30.
I get the gripe about the plane... but the equipment swap thing and not always getting your same seat on the new plane is system wide... not just related to the 7M8.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 1:59 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
This week on '604 my omelette was cold enough I had to send it back. Last week I remember now it was pretty cold too, but not enough to complain... the ovens seem to be wonky.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RangerNS
This week on '604 my omelette was cold enough I had to send it back. Last week I remember now it was pretty cold too, but not enough to complain... the ovens seem to be wonky.
SD was commenting/complaining (?) that the oven is slow. End result however: food is not as overheated as in other planes apparently. For once fish was edible.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 5:33 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 25K , UA ,WJ, HA, AMEX AP Reserve
Still waiting patiently for someone who has travelled in row 20 to give their 2c on the legroom etc.
Since we are going YYC-OGG in December and will pay the $60 per seat per direction, I'm curious
to know what we're in for.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 1:23 pm

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan
Originally Posted by yyznomad
I get the gripe about the plane... but the equipment swap thing and not always getting your same seat on the new plane is system wide... not just related to the 7M8.
The issue is not "not getting the same seat" - most people would understand that an exact mapping is not possible, especially if two flights have been merged. The gripe is with moving people who paid for a preferred seat to a non-preferred one when preferred seats are available. What would it take to fix it, two lines of code? It's just one more instance of IT incompetence in full display.

It gets worse: when you are moved to a non-preferred seat, your preferred seat fee is refunded. Now, suppose you put yourself back in a preferred seat and pay again. If, God forbid, you were to again be moved to a non-preferred seat, your fee would no longer refunded automatically, because AC's systems cannot distinguish between the first and the second time you were bumped from a preferred seat. When this happened to me, it took six months and direct intervention from Ben L. to fix it (as apparently refund services also has a hard time understanding that you can be bumped from a preferred seat twice).
Old Apr 14, 2018, 2:45 pm

Programs: AC 50K (*G), Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold

Originally Posted by muskoka
Still waiting patiently for someone who has travelled in row 20 to give their 2c on the legroom etc.
Since we are going YYC-OGG in December and will pay the $60 per seat per direction, I'm curious
to know what we're in for.
Row 20 is great. Plenty of legroom, most likely most of any seat on the plane, except row 19. Although row 20 has full recline unlike row 19.
Orcair and Diabeetus like this.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Mauricio23
The issue is not "not getting the same seat" - most people would understand that an exact mapping is not possible, especially if two flights have been merged. The gripe is with moving people who paid for a preferred seat to a non-preferred one when preferred seats are available. What would it take to fix it, two lines of code? It's just one more instance of IT incompetence in full display.

It gets worse: when you are moved to a non-preferred seat, your preferred seat fee is refunded. Now, suppose you put yourself back in a preferred seat and pay again. If, God forbid, you were to again be moved to a non-preferred seat, your fee would no longer refunded automatically, because AC's systems cannot distinguish between the first and the second time you were bumped from a preferred seat. When this happened to me, it took six months and direct intervention from Ben L. to fix it (as apparently refund services also has a hard time understanding that you can be bumped from a preferred seat twice).
Yes, you are correct, so I'll just shift my statement over to the paid-for-preferred seat to non-preferred seat... and this is system-wide as well, which I agree does suck big time.
Mauricio23 likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 6:45 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM
Back to my complaint. NO NOTICE of the swap. Then I can go myself and get another preferred seat.

I now have EF alerts for any flights in/out of YYC and YHZ. These are the two places the beast shows up most right now.

Last edited by Cozmo456; Apr 15, 2018 at 11:04 am
Old Apr 15, 2018, 2:12 pm

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Cozmo456
Back to my complaint. NO NOTICE of the swap. Then I can go myself and get another preferred seat.
Yep, another IT fail. If there is an equipment change but the flight number, departure, and arrival times do not change, you are not notified. And sometimes you are not notified even when they change.
quantumofforce likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 5:32 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
I understand your conundrum, especially as your most obvious alternative airline on YYC-YYZ offers much the same product. In case where you fly outside Canada, and a competitor exists, then taking your premium business to that different airline will surely send a message to AC corporate HQ. We may be past the point of altering the fact that the 7M8 is here to stay, but maybe AC can eventually see the benefits of an interior rejig to reduce the number of complaints? And perhaps once that happens, you'll be able to glance outside the window at FL350 and see pigs aloft.
Some of the problems are definitely fixable. The heat issue, not sure about, but Friday's flight was not as bad as the first two flights. Still not pleasant, but maybe it can be dealt with. Not sure about the airflow from the vents as I understand that's a Boeing design issue - apparently many people have complained about 787s being cold, so Boeing reduced the flow.

The issues with the layout of the galleys could potentially be solved. An AC staffer mentioned to me that discussion of a reconfiguration is already under way. But how long that will take, or how much it might cost, I have no clue.

Others like the seat materials and getting rid of the stupid footrests could definitely be done.

Whether AC will choose to do any of those things, however, is beyond my knowledge.

Originally Posted by Mauricio23
Yep, another IT fail. If there is an equipment change but the flight number, departure, and arrival times do not change, you are not notified. And sometimes you are not notified even when they change.
You forgot that sometimes AC bombards you with notifications of totally minor changes to arrival/departure times or irrelevant changes to AC's codeshare flight numbers
Mauricio23 and quantumofforce like this.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 6:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
.....The issues with the layout of the galleys could potentially be solved. An AC staffer mentioned to me that discussion of a reconfiguration is already under way. But how long that will take, or how much it might cost, I have no clue......
Interesting. So, there is acknowledgment of at least this problem.

I'll just re-post this bit that I wrote upthread - which apparently drew the ire of some.

Originally Posted by 24left
.....I've also noted that I understand the economics of these aircraft and the decisions to buy them, but how do they go into service before anyone has tested galley or lav or aisle-access functionality?
....If real-life conditions were tested and this is the result, well, then perhaps the basis for measuring success need some adjustment. And here we are.

And to be clear, I am one of many who have no illusions that running an airline isn't really about the comfort of the self-loading cargo or even of the cabin crew. It's about money and profit and cost-efficiency and ROI and all those other nice financial words.

I enjoyed my seat on my first 7M8 flight as well as some of the features of the IFE, OH bins. Some or many people who have flown in Y on these aircraft have not been happy and each has their own experience on which to draw.

These aircraft were not bought for passenger comfort. Some passengers will be comfortable, some will be very uncomfortable. That is up to each of us to deal with on whichever aircraft we fly on however long the route is.

However, when we fly with cabin crew who are unhappy about the cabin features they have to work in and work with, their unhappiness could affect their temperament and service. IMHO.
Diabeetus and quantumofforce like this.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 6:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I finally booked one of these. YYZ-SFO in late May.

I'm not even in J yet
Old Apr 15, 2018, 8:36 pm

Programs: AC 75K (*G), NEXUS
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I finally booked one of these. YYZ-SFO in late May.

I'm not even in J yet
You better get a preferred seat just in case
Old Apr 15, 2018, 8:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by marke190
You better get a preferred seat just in case
As an SE on a Comfort fare, I can assure you, I reserved a preferred seat.

And I'm not flying Y on that route
marke190 likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 9:55 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
I'll just re-post this bit that I wrote upthread - which apparently drew the ire of some.
I'm not sure anybody was irked over your comment. It just seems the processes involved in ordering, delivering and accepting new airplanes is not well understood.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.