Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 24left
Jan 18 2021 TC issues Airworthiness Directive for the 737 MAX
Link to post https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32976892-post4096.html

Cabin photos

Post 976 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29534462-post976.html
Post 1300 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29780203-post1300.html

Cabin Layout

Interior Specs can be found here https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/fly/onboard/fleet.html

- Window seats may feel narrower to come as the armrests are placed "into" the "curvature" of the cabin.
- Seats with no windows feel even more narrower as there is no space created by the curvature of window.
- All bulkhead seats have very limited legroom.
- Seats 15A, 16A, 16F, 17A and 17F have limited windows.
- Exit rows 19 and 20 have more legroom than regular preferred seats.

Routes

The 737 MAX is designated to replace the A320-series. Based on announcements and schedule updates, the following specific routes will be operated by the 737 MAX in future:

YYZ-LAX (periodic flights)
YYZ-SNN (new route)
YUL-DUB (new route)
YYZ/YUL-KEF (replacing Rouge A319)
YYT-LHR (replacing Mainline A319)
YHZ-LHR (replacing Mainline B767)
Hawaii Routes YVR/YYC (replacing Rouge B767)
Many domestic trunk routes (YYZ, YVR, YUL, YYC) now operated by 7M8, replacing A320 family
Print Wikipost

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2018, 12:55 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Without direct knowledge of anything about the 737 MAX, one might surmise that when a new aircraft type is being rolled out, even if its failure rate is the same as the previous aircraft, the amount of delay resulting from those failures will be greater due to fewer qualified maintenance personnel, lack of familiarity with common failure modes, smaller supply of spare parts, less data on what parts to stock and in what quantity, and so on.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
Yeah, textbook stuff perhaps for many products. Modern engine engines aren't typically known for "expected" teething problems.
Nothing special about engines. Rather the reverse.

There are nearly always issues that only show up with actual, real world experience. And given the complexities of engines, bound to happen.

Letely has affected obviously Pratt with the geared fan, but also the 787 Rolls engine, pretty bad too for them, and to a lesser extent the Franco-American Leap engine.

In the case of Rolls, they had become way too arrogant for their own good, so not such a big surprise. Will teach them some dose of realism.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 9:42 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
It doesn't have to be the engines that have teething problems. The mechanics, the mechanics toolbox, the supervisors, pilots and operations staff are all new to the engines in question.

From having muscle memory to know what socket heads to climb up the ladder with to knowing what can be cleared with a reboot, to knowing when some aggressive percussive maintenance will clear the fault. 10 minutes of hesitation born of inexperience X 6 people is an hour long delay.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 10:34 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..

Current list

EDIT TO ADD

https://canadianaviationnews.files.w...-max-apr-4.pdf

Last edited by 24left; Apr 8, 2018 at 11:08 am
Old Apr 8, 2018, 10:41 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by RangerNS
to knowing when some aggressive percussive maintenance will clear the fault.
ROFL
Old Apr 8, 2018, 9:42 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by The Lev
Both the Leap and GTF take significantly longer to start up than the old CFM56 (or any other jet engine for that matter).
I can't speak to the GTF because I didn't really notice us sitting around particularly long the one time I flew a CS100. Not saying you're wrong, I could totally have missed it in all the excitement of finally flying that plane.

But you're absolutely right about the Leap engine on AC's 7M8... it feels like you're sitting. around. forever. once the tug disconnects.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by ffsim
I can't speak to the GTF because I didn't really notice us sitting around particularly long the one time I flew a CS100. Not saying you're wrong, I could totally have missed it in all the excitement of finally flying that plane.

But you're absolutely right about the Leap engine on AC's 7M8... it feels like you're sitting. around. forever. once the tug disconnects.
Some light reading on the topic:
https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...n-half-424321/
ffsim likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 11:23 am

Programs: AC*SE, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Just had a conversation with an FA who said she was told they were looking at re-configuring the galley due to all the complaints as no one wants to work on these planes. She said passengers generally have positive feedback (especially J and Preferred Seats) excluding lav's which everyone complains about. I have really liked my flights in J (YYZ-YYC) but the RapidAir flights (YYZ-YUL) I've not had breakfast yet because they never make it past row 2 before they run out of time.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 11:50 am

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by BarrieTravelGuy
Just had a conversation with an FA who said she was told they were looking at re-configuring the galley due to all the complaints as no one wants to work on these planes. She said passengers generally have positive feedback (especially J and Preferred Seats) excluding lav's which everyone complains about. I have really liked my flights in J (YYZ-YYC) but the RapidAir flights (YYZ-YUL) I've not had breakfast yet because they never make it past row 2 before they run out of time.
There's not much they can really do to the forward galley as there is simply less available space and headroom as compared to the A320 series. They can adjust the layout a bit I suppose. They could push it back into the cabin more, could lead to seat or legroom loss (or both) I've talked to many UA flight attendants over the years who work on both 737 and A320 series and all prefer A320 for having much more space to work.

The rear galley (and lavs) they can improve though - if they replace it with a full rear galley and re-locate the lavs in front of the galley on either side (same as current A320 series). Would be loss of 3 seats.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by BarrieTravelGuy
If this reconfiguration is under serious consideration by AC and not just wishful thinking on the part of the FA, it highlights the "penny wise, pound foolish" mentality of AC management in ordering them like this to begin with.

A more likely proposition is the elimination of complimentary meals in Y on shorter TATL flights.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by eigenvector
but the RapidAir flights (YYZ-YUL) I've not had breakfast yet because they never make it past row 2 before they run out of time..
Today's FA are wimps.

Back in the day, in the 80's, you'd get a full YYZ-YOW flight where EVERYBODY including all of Y got a full hot breakfast. In under 40 minutes. Regularly.
cooleddie and Seat19k like this.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
Today's FA are wimps.

Back in the day, in the 80's, you'd get a full YYZ-YOW flight where EVERYBODY including all of Y got a full hot breakfast. In under 40 minutes. Regularly.
They had at least one more TA then. Maybe more. Last cut was not so long ago.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 4:48 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
Today's FA are wimps.

Sure, and there were 6 FAs YEG YYC 737.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eigenvector
If this reconfiguration is under serious consideration by AC and not just wishful thinking on the part of the FA, it highlights the "penny wise, pound foolish" mentality of AC management in ordering them like this to begin with.
Hard to believe they would reconfigure brand new planes, especially if just to make FAs happier.

What might now be quite as surprising would be if for the larger model, they would reexamine the configuration and make some changes, if indeed the issue comes across to them as serious enough.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 6:09 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
How many have been delivered, and how many more are on order? If this is a change that would happen, now would be the time to do it and not 36 months from now.
ffsim likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.