Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 24left
Jan 18 2021 TC issues Airworthiness Directive for the 737 MAX
Link to post https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32976892-post4096.html

Cabin photos

Post 976 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29534462-post976.html
Post 1300 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29780203-post1300.html

Cabin Layout

Interior Specs can be found here https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/fly/onboard/fleet.html

- Window seats may feel narrower to come as the armrests are placed "into" the "curvature" of the cabin.
- Seats with no windows feel even more narrower as there is no space created by the curvature of window.
- All bulkhead seats have very limited legroom.
- Seats 15A, 16A, 16F, 17A and 17F have limited windows.
- Exit rows 19 and 20 have more legroom than regular preferred seats.

Routes

The 737 MAX is designated to replace the A320-series. Based on announcements and schedule updates, the following specific routes will be operated by the 737 MAX in future:

YYZ-LAX (periodic flights)
YYZ-SNN (new route)
YUL-DUB (new route)
YYZ/YUL-KEF (replacing Rouge A319)
YYT-LHR (replacing Mainline A319)
YHZ-LHR (replacing Mainline B767)
Hawaii Routes YVR/YYC (replacing Rouge B767)
Many domestic trunk routes (YYZ, YVR, YUL, YYC) now operated by 7M8, replacing A320 family
Print Wikipost

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2020, 4:59 pm

Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, FB Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by RCyyz
It will be a brave airline that flies the 7M8. Any little thing that goes wrong will be magnified.

I've read elsewhere (it was on the internet therefore it's true ...) that designing a new airframe would run somewhere between $4 and $5 billion. Boeing wanted to save $$$ so they implemented MCAS instead.

I wonder if it's really worth sticking so stubbornly with MCAS + recertification vs doing what should have been done in the first place.
A320 - £2 billion at the time (£5 billion in today's dollars) is the estimate

A220 - $7 billion USD estimate

A350 - €11 billion estimate

787 - $32 billion USD estimate

777X - $5 billion USD and counting

It strikes me that Boeing would struggle to develop a new aircraft for $4-5 billion US based on what other programs have recently cost. You are definitely correct though that the Max will likely cost a minimum of 4 times, if not 8 times, what a new program would have cost. Hindsight is easy however.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 7:56 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Global Entry
Sounds like an April flight from OGG will likely actually use the 7M8? Was hoping for a mainline widebody substitution, although I realize it is not super likely
Old Jun 11, 2020, 8:07 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by Taoyuan
Sounds like an April flight from OGG will likely actually use the 7M8? Was hoping for a mainline widebody substitution, although I realize it is not super likely
FAA decisions or not, I'd not be assuming any equipment out more then what you are in when its wheels up time.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 8:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Very interesting read. Posted a few hours ago.

https://theaircurrent.com/aviation-s...r-jets-return/

Bohemian1 and EdmFlyBoi like this.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If as claimed in some other thread (maybe the Air Transat one) AC got the Canadian authorities un their pocket, best for them might be that the Max Canadian certification gets delayed until they really need them. Or it's so late that the deal with Boeing is so far out of contractual conditions that their can get out. :-)

Surely many airlines are now hoping/praying for the Max to get delayed for quite a while. :-)

Meanwhile it seems AC gets their 223s flying as soon as they get them. Now 6.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 11:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by EdmFlyBoi
Your comments are rather silly. Leadership at multiple airlines - AC, United, American, Southwest, and others - have indicated they will return to flying it once it is recertified. The Alaska Group President stated exactly that yesterday in an interview with The Seattle Times:

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/boeing-aerospace/to-survive-the-pandemic-alaska-air-prepares-to-shrink-and-shed-thousands-of-jobs/

"We haven’t made firm decisions,” he said. “Long term, we’ll have MAXs in the Alaska fleet, for sure. We’re big Boeing supporters.”

Pretty clear it will be in North American airspace flying passengers (once it gets past recertfication).
My comments are rather accurate - first, as a Canadian you might not be aware of the relationship between Alaska Airlines and Boeing. In short, I would take any comment from AS regarding anything Boeing with a very large grain of salt. They are meaningless in the real world.

Next, there are countless aviation regulators worldwide who need to re-certify this airplane, they will not all certify it just because the FAA calls it 'done'. The FAA won't be calling anything 'done' without both technical and political issues out of the way. Trump can wake up one morning feeling cranky about Boeing and slap another 6 months of wait time arbitrarily because he feels like it.

Next, as mentioned below, Spirit has been told to stop production, meaning Boeing does not expect the backlog of undelivered aircraft to start clearing any time soon - and it's possible they may shift deliveries from airlines that want to cancel, to airlines that want to order, and use those existing builds to clear out the backlog, but without airlines willing to take delivery, this won't happen anytime soon.

Next, as mentioned below, there is still more work to be done on development, then testing, then test flights, then rework, then more tests, etc - if this airplane ever flies again regardless of its name, as I have claimed consistently, it won't be before 4th quarter 2020, but more likely sometime in 2021, but I still hold an opinion this airplane may never fly again especially if any new technical issues come up.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 7:16 pm
Suspended

Last edited by 24left; Oct 16, 2020 at 7:18 am
Old Jun 17, 2020, 8:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
The United States Senate is currently going after the FAA pretty hard - and deservedly so. There will be a lot of CYA activity at the FAA, and a likely major rule change that reverses the entire concept of 'self certification', which should never have happened in the first place. Given this investigation, it's more likely than not, the FAA will be a taking a very long time, and a more thorough look at the MAX, so my forecast stands - 2021 at the earliest, if at all.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 10:35 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by 24left
That would basically make it an Airbus then.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jagboi
That would basically make it an Airbus then.

Pretty sure newer Boeing designs fit that bill too though.

But incorporating such a system on newer versions of the 737, while likely doable, would not allow for grandfathering the certification. Which would have been not only expensive but time-consuming, too much so for potential customers.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And the saga continues...

https://www.seattletimes.com/busines...-with-737-max/
Old Jun 19, 2020, 9:47 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by Stranger
Coincidentally enough, I've read several things about Synthetic Airspeed recently. Not all were related to the Max, but it's interesting to see this explicitly referenced in this article about the whistle blower.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 6:13 pm
Suspended

deleted

Last edited by 24left; Jun 21, 2020 at 6:10 am
Old Jun 19, 2020, 7:45 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Of course they're still coming. All 50 are coming. That was never in question. Their acceptance flights might land in Marana.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 7:56 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by 24left
Yup, they're still coming
still being painted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.