Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 24left
Jan 18 2021 TC issues Airworthiness Directive for the 737 MAX
Link to post https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32976892-post4096.html

Cabin photos

Post 976 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29534462-post976.html
Post 1300 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29780203-post1300.html

Cabin Layout

Interior Specs can be found here https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/fly/onboard/fleet.html

- Window seats may feel narrower to come as the armrests are placed "into" the "curvature" of the cabin.
- Seats with no windows feel even more narrower as there is no space created by the curvature of window.
- All bulkhead seats have very limited legroom.
- Seats 15A, 16A, 16F, 17A and 17F have limited windows.
- Exit rows 19 and 20 have more legroom than regular preferred seats.

Routes

The 737 MAX is designated to replace the A320-series. Based on announcements and schedule updates, the following specific routes will be operated by the 737 MAX in future:

YYZ-LAX (periodic flights)
YYZ-SNN (new route)
YUL-DUB (new route)
YYZ/YUL-KEF (replacing Rouge A319)
YYT-LHR (replacing Mainline A319)
YHZ-LHR (replacing Mainline B767)
Hawaii Routes YVR/YYC (replacing Rouge B767)
Many domestic trunk routes (YYZ, YVR, YUL, YYC) now operated by 7M8, replacing A320 family
Print Wikipost

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2020, 9:16 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
One of the problems involves “hypothetical faults” in the computer’s microprocessor, which could lead the plane to climb or dive on its own, Boeing said.
I mean, for Boeing its OK enough to put into service aircraft with actual faults that do and did lead the plane to climb or dive on its own. Whats the big deal with only hypothetical faults?
Old Apr 7, 2020, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
My understanding is that the standard contract for aircraft purchases states that if the manufacturer is more than 12 months late delivering an aircraft the buyer has the right to cancel and receive a full refund. I suspect that some of AC's MAX (non) deliveries will hit that mark long before they are certified and able to be delivered by Boeing. It will be interesting to see whether AC accepts those aircraft or turns them back.

If they do elect to keep them in this climate it is a clear indication that they like some combination of the aircraft's economics or that they got such a good deal on them that they figure it is best to still take them.
Stranger likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 9:49 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by The Lev
My understanding is that the standard contract for aircraft purchases states that if the manufacturer is more than 12 months late delivering an aircraft the buyer has the right to cancel and receive a full refund. I suspect that some of AC's MAX (non) deliveries will hit that mark long before they are certified and able to be delivered by Boeing.
Perhaps Boeing will refuse to provide refunds and will only provide 24-month credit for future aircraft purchases.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 9:51 pm

My understanding is that the standard contract for aircraft purchases states that if the manufacturer is more than 12 months late delivering an aircraft the buyer has the right to cancel and receive a full refund.
Boeing will say that due to force majeure they get to keep all money as a credit to future aircraft for up to 24 months. If AC chooses a more expensive aircraft the cost difference will be charged. If a cheaper model is selected AC forfeits the difference.

Sorry, I couldn’t resist.

EDIT - D’oh! Adam Smith beat me to it!
Old Apr 8, 2020, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In the news today, max flight testing delayed until May.

From the AIAA daily newsletter in my mailbox this morning:

FAA Certification Flight For 737 MAX Delayed Until May. AFP (4/7) reports that the FAA’s certification flight for the 737 MAX has been delayed until May due to the coronavirus outbreak. Social distancing protocols have required teams from Boeing and the FAA to work remotely, which has “posed challenges for the test flight itself because of the need for closer physical contact.” An FAA spokesman said that “work is still ongoing” in the effort to re-certify the 737 MAX.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 9:47 am

Programs: AC SE100, SPG Plat, Visa Inf Priv
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Perhaps Boeing will refuse to provide refunds and will only provide 24-month credit for future aircraft purchases.
made my day! Still laughing. Thanks!
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2020, 6:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Paging @InTheAirGuy

Full article:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/24/boei...ronavirus.html
Old Apr 25, 2020, 6:18 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
I'm sure AC is super disappointed. Going to be hard to have enough capacity to meet the demands of peak summer travel season without the MAX...
Old Apr 25, 2020, 6:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I'm sure AC is super disappointed. Going to be hard to have enough capacity to meet the demands of peak summer travel season without the MAX...
Just making sure this is sarcasm, right?

This aircraft is still DOA and I don't see it seeing the light of day in 2020, if ever. Hopefully Air Canada got those "extended warranties" on the A320s, they will need them.
Old Apr 25, 2020, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Just making sure this is sarcasm, right?
Yes Coronavirus just keeps getting worse all the time in terms of travel impact. AC has already killed a number of summer seasonal routes altogether. It's not impossible to bring them back, in theory, but it's highly unlikely. Hopefully by July/August we can travel a bit, but the schedule is still likely to be far less than what it usually is.
Old Apr 25, 2020, 9:28 pm

Programs: M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Aeroplan 50K, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS
Yes Coronavirus just keeps getting worse all the time in terms of travel impact. AC has already killed a number of summer seasonal routes altogether. It's not impossible to bring them back, in theory, but it's highly unlikely. Hopefully by July/August we can travel a bit, but the schedule is still likely to be far less than what it usually is.
The impact of COVID-19 is unprecedented, but it will not define the industry. They will recover, and we will be back to flying our usual routings soon enough.

However, I don't think the MAX will be back anytime soon, this pandemic is the final nail in the coffin of it IMO.
Old Apr 25, 2020, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by codfather
The impact of COVID-19 is unprecedented, but it will not define the industry. They will recover, and we will be back to flying our usual routings soon enough.
I would not be so sure. Flying has been way too cheap for way too long, with huge environmental cost. Depending upon how countries environmentally conscious (potentially more than us) deal with these issues, current lowest fares and associated capacities may end up going the way of the dodo bird. Just like gas cars, vs. electrical.

Admittedly might not affect higher fares that much since these are airlines bread and butter. More or less subsiding lower fares.

However, I don't think the MAX will be back anytime soon, this pandemic is the final nail in the coffin of it IMO.
Could be, who knows. Surely many airlines see the current mess as a blessing in disguise. I note AC has been very happy scheduling their 223s on YVR-YYZ and YYC-YYZ routes, and they still expect 2020 deliveries as planned even though they have slowed doen production.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by codfather
Like it or not, I think AC (and WS) will be flying the MAX again before the end of 2020.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Like it or not, I think AC (and WS) will be flying the MAX again before the end of 2020.
AIAA newsletter in my mailbox today today:

COVID-19 Pandemic Confounds Boeing’s Plan For Midyear Return Of 737 MAX

The Wall Street Journal (4/24, Subscription Publication) reported that people with knowledge of the matter said that The Boeing Company’s 737 MAX jet will not receive approval to fly from the Federal Aviation Administration until the second half of the year – probably August or even the fall, but later than Boeing’s goal of certification by the middle of 2020. The FAA has still not approved two software fixes proposed by Boeing related to the 737 MAX’s flight-control systems. Meanwhile, the pandemic has slowed the approval process, while restrictions on non-essential travel have curtailed MAX flight tests involving foreign pilots. Additionally, FAA employees working from home are working out how they will ensure that airlines will adhere to various maintenance requirements and systems tests in order to clear individual aircraft for flight. The ongoing 737 MAX question is expected to be discussed when Boeing reports its first-quarter earnings next week.

CNBC (4/24) reported that “sources familiar with the latest expectations for fixing the MAX, tell CNBC the plane is unlikely to be given the green light until late summer,” marking “a slight, but notable, shift from Boeing’s earlier plan to have the beleaguered plane cleared by the Federal Aviation Administration in the middle of this year.” Investor’s Business Daily (4/24) reported that Boeing could also “cut 787 Dreamliner production again when it reports first-quarter earnings Wednesday.”
So who knows when. Maybe later this year, but when? Surely AC wishes later rather than ealier. And surely they are not the only ones. Why would they care how big the US govt rescue package will need to be?
Old Apr 28, 2020, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Stranger
So who knows when. Maybe later this year, but when? Surely AC wishes later rather than ealier. And surely they are not the only ones. Why would they care how big the US govt rescue package will need to be?
That's why I said by the end of 2020 rather than specifying when. AC and other airlines are perfectly happy with Boeing's problems for now, but once they get TC certification, AC will have twenty odd birds that cost them less to fly than their old A320's, so they will put them back in the sky.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.