Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

The Air Canada 787-8/-9 Dreamliner Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 25, 2014, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: briguychau
*FAQ:
Q: On the 787-9 (789), which seats in J are missing windows?
A: Rows 5 and 8 on both port and starboard sides have only one window, instead of two on all other port/starboard J seats.

Q: On the 787-8 (788), which seats in J are missing windows?
A: Only row 5 port and starboard sides have zero windows.

Q: Does the middle J seats' middle divider come down?
A: No, on the 788 and 789 the middle divider does not come down and is fixed in place. In fact, all Dream Cabin (788, 789, 77L, 77W) middle dividers are fixed and do not come down.

Member pictures & videos of AC 787:

Trip review with pictures from galawdawg:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23555730-post1724.html
pictures from TravellingBeard
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24068136-post2054.html

Onboard videos from cooleddie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBND...ature=youtu.be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvVH...ature=youtu.be
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24182736-post2123.html

Video trip report, J-class, YYZ-YVR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRKfq6KEles

3 Class Video review of AC's Dreamliner with Pilot and SD interview
https://youtu.be/5N4_bIEut6I

Trip review with pictures from FlyerJT:
http://thepointsguy.com/2015/08/air-canada-787-economy-review/

In depth video review of AC's 787-8 Dreamliner International Business Class
https://youtu.be/X8u1jvjk_3w
Print Wikipost

The Air Canada 787-8/-9 Dreamliner Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2017, 2:37 pm

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by canadiancow
The "connect in HKG" only works in one direction for getting the longer leg out of the way first.

Personally, I'm the opposite. The last thing I want is a regional flight after a long-haul.
+1

I remember my first trip to SIN was on UA (YYZ-ORD-HKG-SIN). After getting to HKG, realizing that we had another ~3.5-hour, ~11pm-departure flight ahead of us was super depressing. Now mind you, I was nil status and flying UA coach, but the sentiment holds.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by sram
This route would really only benefit YVR residents as the rest of us need to get to SIN with at least 1 stop. I'd prefer connecting in HKG over YVR/SFO/LAX any day. Lounges are better, more connecting options and you shave ~700 miles off the trip. I always prefer getting the longer leg out of the way first. That's not to say if they did introduce the route, I wouldn't give it a try at least once
I'd prefer avoiding another country over saving 700 miles.

Comment about long flight first is mute as on the way back it's long flight last.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 5:59 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
UA: Check out our sweet amenities to help you sleep better

AA: Check out the new mattresses, duvet and blanket designed by Casper

AC: If you wear shorts while sleeping in our world class exec pods TPAC/TCON you could potentially* get skin rash for three days, and here's the "meh" pillow

Last edited by Jumper Jack; Oct 5, 2017 at 2:02 am
Old Oct 5, 2017, 12:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
UA: Check out our sweet amenities to help you sleep better

AA: Check out the new mattresses, duvet and blanket designed by Casper

AC: If you wear shorts while sleeping in our world class exec pods TPAC/TCON you will get skin rash for three days, and here's the "meh" pillow

Casper and American Airlines - YouTube
I'd be careful making public statements like that.

"I got a skin rash for three days" is very different from "if you fly AC you will get a skin rash for three days".

One is not worth pursuing in court. The other is tempting to pursue, and easy to win.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 2:01 am

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I'd be careful making public statements like that.

"I got a skin rash for three days" is very different from "if you fly AC you will get a skin rash for three days".

One is not worth pursuing in court. The other is tempting to pursue, and easy to win.
Fair,
But it has actually happened to me 3 times and have never occurred in old pods. I cant even wear shorts in summer on daytime flights..

And I am quite confident that a mattress of some kind would resolve this issue
Old Oct 5, 2017, 5:47 am

Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
Fair,
But it has actually happened to me 3 times and have never occurred in old pods. I cant even wear shorts in summer on daytime flights..

And I am quite confident that a mattress of some kind would resolve this issue
It could be an allergy to the fabric or cleaning agent (Har har, AC cleans, lol) or something else.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 4:58 pm

Hi All, looking to fly premium economy from Toronto to Tokyo. Do they curtain off PE from regular economy? Just wondering about the bathroom situation specifically. Can economy passengers use the washrooms for PE?
Old Oct 22, 2017, 5:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by kennyx
Hi All, looking to fly premium economy from Toronto to Tokyo. .....
Welcome to FT, or your first post.

.....Do they curtain off PE from regular economy?.....
Curtains used to be there between PE and Y but they have been removed.

......Just wondering about the bathroom situation specifically. Can economy passengers use the washrooms for PE?
I assume you were planning on the direct flight YYZ-HND which is not the 787 but the 777 with 40 J

There is no lav in PE on that aircraft. You would be using the lavs in Y.

Here is the aircraft and link to Air Canada's fleet page (select "Layout 1 - International flights)

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...ard/fleet.html

Attached Images  
Old Oct 22, 2017, 6:19 pm

Thanks for the quick response.
It's a direct flight to Haneda (YYZ-HND), but apparently it's indeed the 787-9 (Air Canada Flight no.5). Note this is for a planned trip later on Feb 20 2018.

Noticed that there's two washrooms in front of row 12, and was wondering if they're exclusive? or can/will economy passengers use them as well?
Old Oct 22, 2017, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
It's a direct flight to Haneda (YYZ-HND), but apparently it's indeed the 787-9 (Air Canada Flight no.5). Note this is for a planned trip later on Feb 20 2018.

Noticed that there's two washrooms in front of row 12, and was wondering if they're exclusive? or can/will economy passengers use them as well?
On the 789 the PY section gets to use the port side lav in between PY and J. The curtains are arranged as such that it is welcoming to PY to use the lav.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 7:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..

@kennyx
Since you had not provided your travel dates in your OP, I picked random Jan 20-26 and it's still showing on AC.com as the 777. thus, y reply above was based on that.

I see that Feb 1 onwards it's the 789.

Also, curtains between PE and Y are open or have been removed.

Originally Posted by yyznomad
On the 789 the PY section gets to use the port side lav in between PY and J. The curtains are arranged as such that it is welcoming to PY to use the lav.
Right.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 10:24 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG Gold Elite, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by quantumofforce
I too am waiting for this service. If Singapore Airlines starts it up before AC, I would be happy to switch my FF program over to KrisFlyer... and hence all my long haul traffic.
With the amount of metal that AC deadheads to/from SIN it seems crazy that this can't be scheduled more efficiently and be be performed as revenue flights.

Surely if the authorities at SIN or more specifically, Paya Lebar want to keep Air Canada's maintenance business a way can be found to allow occasional scheduled flights. YVR-SIN is definitely in range for the 777s and probably also 788s/9s.

More recently the Oct 1 AC13 YYZ-NRT continued down to SIN after offloading at NRT!
Attached Images  
Old Oct 23, 2017, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC

Oh, and btw:

1. Welcome to FT (at least you started to post finally)
2. Thank you VERY MUCH for not starting yet another random one-off thread about Dreamliner questions when this current master thread is in everyone's faces, and that you don't actually think that your question is completely unique and has never been asked or discussed before in a forum of FOTSGs. ^
Old Oct 23, 2017, 1:54 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by 24left
Curtains used to be there between PE and Y but they have been removed.
So here's my question too, now that AC have removed (instead of infrequently closing) the row 14-15 curtains is it acceptable for the minions in Y to use the 'PY' washrooms just behind the J curtain? Do these washrooms still contain the hand moisturizer?
Old Oct 23, 2017, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jc94
the 'PY' washrooms just behind the J curtain? Do these washrooms still contain the hand moisturizer?
Yes wrt the hand moisturizer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.