Community
Wiki Posts
Search

tax on reward ticket

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2002, 10:04 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by exAC:
...Only YYZ charges for passengers connecting through.</font>
That's because YYZ will have one of the best airports in the world once the new terminal is ready.

Any opinions on the monster terminal development in YYZ?
Old Apr 5, 2002, 2:16 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FlyerAl:
I believe the US Immigration fees are charged for foreign travel originating in the US. I was charged the fee on a BUF-AUA award ticket. AUA has US Customs pre-clearance facilities like Canada.</font>
The US Immigaration Tax of US$6 applies on every flight entering the USA as a dest./stopover, whether outbound or return. I'm not sure if it applies to mere connections XXX-USA-YYY.

------------------
Flyertalk.com ...because miles & points don't grow on trees!
Old Apr 5, 2002, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz Presidents Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ACDUDE:
That's because YYZ will have one of the best airports in the world once the new terminal is ready.

</font>
Yes, so then this logic would dictate that everyone was due an equivalent amount for putting up with YYZ over the last few years. Connecting fees at YYZ are just a huge cash grab and if I need to connect I will try to avoid YYZ so long as its possible and not too much of an inconvenience (in AC's world avoidance of YYZ is largely impossible).

Old Apr 5, 2002, 3:58 pm

Programs: NW Gold/SPG Plat/Hilton Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ACDUDE:

</font>
Perhaps, although if one takes into consideration how long it is taking to build (versus for example the new DTW) one has to wonder if it will really be all that good.

People are paying through the nose with the wonderful AIF for the supposed "privilege" of being able to use YYZ now. Isn't the plan to increase this charge once the new terminal is up and running ($20?)? At least it is charged BEFORE you get to the airport, unlike in Montreal or Vancouver. However, you pay even when you transit which you don't do in YUL or YVR.

I don't pay a cent more now to use a brand new 97 gate terminal in DTW than I did before it opened.
Old Apr 5, 2002, 5:33 pm
At Large

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Andrew14302:
Perhaps, although if one takes into consideration how long it is taking to build (versus for example the new DTW) one has to wonder if it will really be all that good.

</font>
Andrew,I have been through DTW when construction was under way and it was a s**thole much worse than YYZ is now and the logistics at YYZ are much worse as they have to tear down the existing terminals to complete their work as well as rebuild a lot of hwy entrances and exits.I think YYZ will be very efficient when complete.

[This message has been edited by parnel (edited 04-05-2002).]
Old Apr 5, 2002, 9:49 pm
Original Poster

[QUOTE]
The US Immigaration Tax of US$6 applies on every flight entering the USA as a dest./stopover, whether outbound or return. I'm not sure if it applies to mere connections XXX-USA-YYY.[/b]

In my experience, I am only charged the US$6 Immigration Tax when I am driving my car to cross the border. Then the I-94 form is valid for six months. When I enter US by air, I have never be charged for the I-94. My recent trip in late March proved it too.
Old Apr 6, 2002, 7:49 am

I thought that Canadians don't pay the I-94 fee unless they are applying for something like a TN work visa at the border. I've never been charged when driving, while Europeans in my car have always been dinged the $6US at the border. I don't think it is included in the transborder airline ticket fees.
Old Apr 6, 2002, 2:10 pm
ALW

Stu, the $6 is included in the airline fees. Note that when you get TN status at a land crossing, they charge you $56 and give you two receipts, $50 for TN status and $6 for I-94. When you get TN status at an airport, they charge you $50 since you've already paid the $6 in your ticket. At least that's my experience getting TNs in 1996, 1998, and 1999.

And the award tickets YOW-IAD cost $19 and something, $10 AIF for YOW plus U$6.

Goldcap must be a non-Canadian to be getting an I-94 at a land crossing.

andrew
Old Apr 6, 2002, 2:10 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
GEE, I didn't know that the fee was charged at borders for car crossings.
As for the air tix, it's listed as XY tax on each ticket. Look for it in the lower left or in the fare calculation!

------------------
Flyertalk.com ...because miles & points don't grow on trees!
Old Apr 6, 2002, 2:15 pm
ALW

Brendan, Canadians and Americans don't need an I-94 at land crossings, so we don't pay.

Actually it must be more than just those two nationalities, I once crossed with a Scottish citizen (who was also a Canadian landed immigrant, maybe CLIs are exempt too) and we weren't pulled over to get an I-94.

But when I was at Ogdensburg getting my first TN status of 1998, a couple of Dutch guys came in to get I-94s. They were visiting Canada for a couple of months and had decided to drive all around Lake Ontario. The INS agent was quite a nice guy (treated everyone with respect, including me, the Dutch guys, and someone else that he was refusing entry). He filled out their I-94s and then said, "There's a chance you'll be coming back into NYS again before you go home, right?" "Well, we weren't planning on it." "I can put down any expiry up to six months, so if you think there's a _chance_ you might come back, I'll make it the day you're leaving Canada so you can re-use it if you come back and not pay another $6 each." "Oh!, yes, we _might_ come back into NYS." And he used the date they were flying back to Europe.

Why can't they all be like that?

andrew

[This message has been edited by Andrew Webber (edited 04-06-2002).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.