Community
Wiki Posts
Search

tax on reward ticket

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2002, 9:07 pm

Programs: AE
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Shareholder:
both example tables printed in the Toronto Star on Sunday, and sourced from AC and WestJet, the GST is added on top of the $24, imposing yet another $1.68.</font>
Do you suppose they'll print a retraction?
Old Apr 2, 2002, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
You mean AC and WestJet? They supplied the charts to the newspaper...
Old Apr 2, 2002, 9:43 pm
exAC

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Shareholder:
For too long it has been next to impossible to decipher the string of numbers found on an airline ticket </font>
When you get that figured out Shareholder, ask one of your friends still in Edmonton to show you their Electric bill!!!

The same sort of seperate and confuse style of math and accounting has crept in there.

Old Apr 2, 2002, 9:52 pm
ALW

On the Air Transport Association of Canada website (www.atac.ca), there's the text of a presentation to the Standing Committee on Finance. Included is this:

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">One final point on which we would like to ask the Committee for some support. This is a very difficult tax. It contains myriad complexities.

For example, we have 16 different charging options for this tax, depending on where the ticket was purchased, where the flight is headed and whether GST, HST or QST apply. All this has to be properly coded into the computer reservation systems.</font>
andrew
Old Apr 2, 2002, 9:58 pm
Original Poster

My itinery is as follows,

Apr. 26, YYZ-YVR, AC149
Apr. 30, YVR-YEG, AC244; YEG-YYZ, AC 154

There is no non-stop flight available for the return. I burned 20,000 miles for each ticket because my schedule falls into the promtion period.

It's my first time to redeem award ticket and I found it very difficult to get a seat on a desirable date and time.
Old Apr 2, 2002, 10:05 pm
ALW

I realized after my last post that it doesn't actually make the point clear either way (because no one has said there's no GST, just whether it's in the $24). This should:

From CCRA website GST Newsletter

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Air Travellers Security Charge

As announced in the Federal Budget of December 10, 2001, the federal government will introduce an Air Travellers Security Charge to fund the new air security expenditures. Bill C-49 received first reading in the House of Commons on February 5, 2002.

The Bill proposes that the charge will apply to air travel occurring after March 31, 2002, for which payment is made after that date, in the case of tickets purchased in Canada, and to air travel occurring after May 31, 2002, for which payment is made after March 31, 2002, in the case of tickets purchased outside Canada. Air carriers or their agents will collect it at the time the airline tickets are purchased.

Generally, for travel within the continental zone (i.e., Canada, the United States excluding Hawaii, and the Islands of St-Pierre and Miquelon), and where GST/HST applies at the rate of 7% or 15% to the air passenger transportation service, the charge will be $11.22 for each chargeable emplanement in Canada to a maximum of $22.43. Where the air passenger transportation service is zero-rated or where GST/HST does not apply, the charge will be $12.00 for each chargeable emplanement in Canada to a maximum of $24.00. For travel to a destination outside the continental zone, the charge will be $24.00 where there is a chargeable emplanement in Canada.

For GST/HST purposes, the amount of the security charge is included in the consideration for the supply of the air transportation service. As such, where the supply of the service, other than a zero-rated supply, is made in a participating province, the total consideration for the supply, which includes the security charge, is subject to HST at 15%. Where the supply is made in a non-participating province, the total consideration for the supply, including the security charge is subject to GST at 7% providing the supply is not zero-rated.

For general enquiries regarding the ATSC in Canada and USA call 1-877-432-5472 or for other countries call 1-902-432-5472.</font>
The only thing I note of interest is that the charge is $11.22 if GST/HST applies to the ticket, which makes the total $12 when 7% GST is added, but $12.90 when 15% HST is added.

It doesn't say what a "chargeable emplanement" is but I wonder how they handle multi-day stopovers (which lead to an additional charge in the case of YVR's AIF).

andrew

[This message has been edited by Andrew Webber (edited 04-02-2002).]
Old Apr 2, 2002, 10:13 pm
ALW

You can read the bill in its entirely here:

Parliamentary Website

"Print Format" in the top-right corner means PDF. It's only 124pp.

andrew
Old Apr 2, 2002, 10:16 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

Since he's going via YEG, there's the extra YEG AIF, adding that to the $35 that CPYVR got, it sounds about right. After paying the YVR AIF, you'll be paying $50/person just in taxes!
Old Apr 2, 2002, 10:38 pm

Location: Any of the Following PDX SFO IAH YUL HPN CDG SYD WLG AKL
Programs: AA GLD 1MM, DL DM, UA 1K Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador , Hyatt Platinum
I was amazed recently when I was only charged CDN$8.50 for a EWR-YUL reward ticket, when normally we pay $150 in taxes. Did AC forget to charge me something?
Old Apr 2, 2002, 10:40 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

Nope. Since the base fare of your award ticket was $0, there are no taxes on it. The $8.50 that you paid was most likely the security surcharge that the US government charges. Then you pay for the YUL AIF at the airport when you leave so that's why you only had to pay $8.50.
Old Apr 3, 2002, 12:47 am
ALW

I think Empress's theory is right.

Anyone know why there wouldn't be the U$6 "I-94" fee? Wouldn't that be collectible based on the return segment, even though the trip starts in the US?

andrew
Old Apr 3, 2002, 12:47 am
exAC

There should not be a charge for the connection in YEG unless it involves an overnight layover. Only YYZ charges for passengers connecting through.

Old Apr 3, 2002, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
From this morning's GLOBE:

"Something to think about at the airport

By JEFFREY SIMPSON
Wednesday, April 3, 2002 Page A13

"On my desk sits a return air ticket to Washington, booked months ago during a seat sale. Its total cost: $391.60, of which 40 per
cent derives from fees and taxes, most of them imposed in Canada."

URL is too long, perhaps someone more talented in these matters can post a short link

Also reported in today's ROB, is the scramble travel agents went through last week to avoid having to pay the tax on behalf of tens of thousands of charter tickets associated with cruise and other packages. Since they don't normally pay the carrier money for the charter until two weeks prior to travel, these flights would be subject to the tax unless pre-paid by March 31st.

Thanks for posting the details, AW. Unfortunately, it is written in the usual Department of Finance version of the English language, which means it is incomprehensible to most of us. [Ever tried to complete a corporate income tax form?]
Old Apr 3, 2002, 6:51 am
ALW

http://makeashorterlink.com/?A60C51F9

andrew

[This message has been edited by Andrew Webber (edited 04-03-2002).]
Old Apr 3, 2002, 9:33 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, MR Plat
I believe the US Immigration fees are charged for foreign travel originating in the US. I was charged the fee on a BUF-AUA award ticket. AUA has US Customs pre-clearance facilities like Canada.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.