Print Wikipost

AC 868 Daytripper Meal Service?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2013, 5:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE

Hi all,

Tried to search / google information but nothing too specific thus far on the forums - wondering what AC 868 meal service is like, and if it's worth the burning of eUps to get (I'm cool with not necessarily a lie flat during the day, so debating...)

l.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 5:56 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by lowdown
Hi all,

Tried to search / google information but nothing too specific thus far on the forums - wondering what AC 868 meal service is like, and if it's worth the burning of eUps to get (I'm cool with not necessarily a lie flat during the day, so debating...)

l.
J/Class:
Light Hot Breakfast
Bar Service
Full Hot Dinner (2:15 prior to landing)

Y/Class:
Full Hot Breakfast
Bar Service
Snack with Bar (1:30 prior to landing)
Old Apr 16, 2013, 8:27 am

I'd add that the Y meal offerring is minimal (and I don't think I'm a large eater) and nasty (especially the snack which is usually a single roll with some strange foreign substance in the middle). When flying this flight if there is even the chance of being in Y I'd suggest bringing additional food. Food in J is usual AC fare and while not earth shattering is more than adequate.

This flight is difficult to upgrade on - I was told it has one of the highest proportion of full J pax of any AC flights (no idea if that is accurate)
Old Apr 16, 2013, 9:10 am

Programs: AC E; Marriott Platinum
It's the CEO flight. Who else could lose a whole day's worth of work and incur an extra night's hotel charge?
Old Apr 16, 2013, 9:32 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by DaveTO
It's the CEO flight. Who else could lose a whole day's worth of work and incur an extra night's hotel charge?
Well, anyone who is flying from the west coast to central Canada, the US eastern seaboard, Asia or Europe, to name but one.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 9:58 am

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
I kind of liked that flight. Easy to get some work done on the plane because you're awake, and you can get a decent sleep the night you arrive and be ready to go the next day. I do not recall the Y meal at all. Maybe that is a good thing!
Old Apr 16, 2013, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE
Yeah, it's a fav flight of mine too, I usually head straight to the pub once I land and hang out with friends, and gives me an extra evening in London to catch up with folks. That said, have not taken it in almost 8 years, and also, have not tried upgrading on it before (I used to be a poor student, y'know.)

Thanks for the insights. I guess I will attempt to upgrade. Me vs. the CEOs. Let's see what happens.

l.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 12:24 pm

Programs: AC, BA, Marriott, SPG
This is my favourite flight to LHR. The red-eyes are too short for a good nights sleep. The flight leaves early so by the time you get to your hotel/home you are knackered and ready for bed. Really erases any effects of jet lag.

As for meals, in J they serve a full hot breakfast (usually omelette, bread, juice, yogurt, fruit etc.) and they have a full dinner service 2 hours before landing. Sometimes they forget to take meal orders at beginning of flight so if you want to nap make sure you tell the FA in charge what you'd like so you're not disappointed.

As for upgrades, I've been successful as an E twice on this flight in the past two years so if you're flying on the right day of the week the stars should align for you. I believe one upgrade was done at T-4 and one was processed at the gate.

Once I was flying this in paid J and the flight left with 2 unoccupied seats in J.

Never done this in Y (luckily) so can't comment on the meals.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 1:45 pm

Programs: AC, SPG, HH +others
This is my preferred flight to London and I'm not the CEO. With a lowest fair policy, I avoid the redeyes to Europe whenever practical as I am too tall to get any rest in coach.

In Y you'll definitely want to have some food when you land. I usually go for a curry in the hotel restaurant after I check in.

Upgrade potential as an SE is horrible on Sunday & Monday. I'm maybe 1 in 8-10.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 2:20 pm

Programs: AC*SE,MM
You want to be thoughtful about planning for dinner in London if you take this flight. 95% of London restaurants close by 22.00 (your best case arrival time in central London)
Old Apr 16, 2013, 3:31 pm
formerly known as DeltaNYC

Programs: AC SE100K / BA Bronze / Marriott Ambassador (LT Plat) / Hilton Diamond / IHG Plat
I also like this flight.

Does anyone know if the LHR arrivals lounge is open for this flight? Last time I was on it they distributed the invitation cards, but I didn't have time to stop by the lounge as I had to head into London right away.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Far Siren
I also like this flight.

Does anyone know if the LHR arrivals lounge is open for this flight? Last time I was on it they distributed the invitation cards, but I didn't have time to stop by the lounge as I had to head into London right away.
No. The AC arrivals lounge is only open until around 2p.m.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 5:31 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport

We've often wondered if a Daytripper to Frankfurt would work given the scope of Star A.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 5:43 pm

Programs: AC, SPG, HH +others
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
We've often wondered if a Daytripper to Frankfurt would work given the scope of Star A.
I would certainly take advantage of it.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
Daytrippers require very strong o/d (and yield accordingly)

FRA's o/d is a fraction of LHR

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.