Menu (meals) as of March 19, 2019
Originally Posted by Jebby_ca
This is the menu that was posted for AC868 tomorrow:

https://www.aircanada.com/content/da...68_YYZ_LHR.pdf
Print Wikipost

AC 868 Daytripper Meal Service?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2013, 7:06 pm

Taking it in July, red eye from YEG so can catch it and arrive late enough to just head over to hotel check in and grab some sleep.

Looking forward to it, don't really care for arriving around noon and having to kill 1/2 a day

The wife and i have found the last couple of years that leaving at midnight out of YEG and catching a morning long flight out of YYZ is not as hard on us.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Keep in mind that the AC Arrivals Lounge is way closed when the dayliner lands... if that is of any importance to you. Most people would probably just want to get to their hotel asap anyway.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 4:25 am

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
Confirmed that the J breakfast is a full, hot meal, typically the omelet, served with fruit and warm(ish) breads.

I'd very much welcome a daytime flight to FRA. I'm on the daytime flight to LHR all the time but to travel onward the following morning, I have to either connect in FRA or ZRH to stay on Star Alliance or switch over to BA for a direct flight. Landing in FRA would allow me a direct flight to almost anywhere the following morning.

And, no, I'm not a CEO. I fly J and it's one of the most productive times of the month for me. I get more writing (and thinking) done on this flight with no interruptions (human or electronic) to get in the way. I get so excited for this flight each month because I know I'll get caught up.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 6:41 am

Programs: AC, BA, Marriott, SPG
I don't have exact figures but don't majority of PAX going to FRA connect to LH intra-European flights? A daytripper flight to FRA would not work well for connections.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 7:26 am

Programs: AC*SE,MM
The issue with any daytime flight eastbound to Europe is the inefficient use of the aircraft. It sits there overnight.

All other transatlantic flights can comfortably do the roundtrip in a 24 hour cycle.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 8:09 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by seegs
I don't have exact figures but don't majority of PAX going to FRA connect to LH intra-European flights? A daytripper flight to FRA would not work well for connections.
Always thought there were was a large bank of late night connections to the Middle East and Africa. Addressing an earlier point, there probably is not a significant amount of O/D traffic.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 8:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE
Thanks all for the additional comments and suggestions!

Yep, definitely not needing the arrivals lounge (which I've used in the past before, and have enjoyed immensely - even sat in it while waiting for my wife to show up in a past life.)

Will be heading straight to my friend's place and a pub on arrival, and if still hungry (say post Y, if I don't get the upgrade) then will aim to grab a kebab or something...

I do enjoy the day flight, it's a great chance to catch up on work / reading without digital interruptions. Am flying on a Thursday, so hopefully that'll bode well for u/g chances. AC website seems to show J cabin only 1/3 full right now, soooo (though I know that doesn't take into account people who haven't selected their seat yet)

Re: FRA daytripper idea, I always wondered about this too - if you left the plane there overnight, could you not have an earlier flight back to Canada (say leaving at 06:00) that could feasibly make early morning connections in YYZ / YUL and have someone home for a productive afternoon? (I imagine a 6am departure out of FRA would land at 8/9-ish am local at YYZ)?

Edit: given 873 leaves at 10am and lands at 12:15pm wouldn't an earlier 6am flight get in for 8.15am... could be in Montreal, New York, Chicago, DC, Boston feasibly by noon?

l.

Edited after checking timetable
Old Apr 17, 2013, 8:29 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by lowdown
Given the current tight aircraft scheduling and rotations, don't think they could afford to have an aircraft overnighting at FRA. 084 used to sit for years (very expensively) at TLV for 7 hours and was rejigged with a 90 minute turn time.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 9:14 am

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by DaveTO
It's the CEO flight. Who else could lose a whole day's worth of work and incur an extra night's hotel charge?
I guess it depends on your perspective. To me, the daytripper means I get to spend a productive day working (on the flight) and the decent night's sleep in a hotel means I'm productive the next day -- vs the overnight, which is too short to sleep on, leading to a lost day's work.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 10:08 am

Getting back to the OP - for all of the reasons discussed, this flight generally has very high load factors in J/C even when the backs has marginal loads.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
Getting back to the OP - for all of the reasons discussed, this flight generally has very high load factors in J/C even when the backs has marginal loads.
Thanks so much for the heads-up. I'll still give it a go, but just like the recent 6/49, won't hold my breath too much

Also, thanks for insight on AC 84 - I always find scheduling so fascinating, particularly the reasons behind it!

Appreciate all the advice given from everyone on this forum

l.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Always thought there were was a large bank of late night connections to the Middle East and Africa. Addressing an earlier point, there probably is not a significant amount of O/D traffic.
Was thinking the same - a lot of the "long distance" connections from FRA are unattractive because you sit in FRA all day long before taking a night departure to say South Africa.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 7:02 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!

Originally Posted by lowdown

Given the current tight aircraft scheduling and rotations, don't think they could afford to have an aircraft overnighting at FRA. 084 used to sit for years (very expensively) at TLV for 7 hours and was rejigged with a 90 minute turn time.
Ironically 090 sits all day in GRU after doing the overnight drag from YYZ, arriving late morning and heading back to Canada as 091 just after supper hour. It's hard to imagine it just sits there .... would they not use this extended ground time for performing longer maintenance procedures? If so, would that also happen overnight in LHR for the daytripper? Or perhaps in FRA if a day flight there ever happens?

Never flown on 868 but always loved the idea of it.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 1:06 am

Programs: AC, BA, Marriott, SPG
Sometimes the least efficient way is the most profitable. Best example are flights between LHR-JNB/CPT-LHR. Outbound will be an overnight flight, arriving in JNB/CPT in the morning and plane sits there all day and leaves that evening for another overnight return flight to LHR.

Because of the similar time zone and flight length, most people prefer to do the trip overnight.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by Symmetre
It's hard to imagine it just sits there .... would they not use this extended ground time for performing longer maintenance procedures? If so, would that also happen overnight in LHR for the daytripper? .
Given the very frequent delays/cancellations that AC has been experiencing out of LHR recently (discussed in another thread) I believe that sometimes 868 may not actually sit overnight in LHR but turn around immediately and operate back to YYZ as a delayed 859. Maybe someone from AC can fill us in. It is not at all uncommon for 859 to be delayed from its scheduled 18:00 departure time to closer to midnight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.