Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada rouge, a leisure airline

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 5, 2014, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Arcanum
Flights operated by Air Canada rouge

NOTE: Rouge Wifi information can be found here
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...l#post28448087

Dates in brackets indicate planned start of rouge service (either as a new route or replacing mainline service). ML placed before a date indicates the date that service is reverting to mainline.

All Airbus A319/A321 service is in the new Premium Rouge configuration with 2x2J seats. All other routes are Boeing 767-300ER aircraft in a 24J/258Y layout.

Airport codes in blue indicate that these routes are Boeing 767-300ER aircraft for all services.
Airport codes in red indicate that these routes are split between Boeing 767-300ER and Airbus services.
Airport codes in black indicate that these routes are Airbus aircraft for all services.

Routes are organized based on the established rouge bases of YYZ, YUL, YYC, and YVR

*Seasonal Summer Service

YYZ
Canada
YQT YQY YXX YLW YYG (02MAY-OCT) YDF YQB YQM (01MAY19) YFC (01JUL19)

USA
MCO TPA LAS FLL HNL SRQ RSW SAN PHX MIA PSP (14DEC16)

Mexico
CUN PVR SJD

Caribbean
KIN NAS LIR GND MBJ AZS CCC CUR HUX PUJ POP SKB SJO SXM LRM HOG SNU UVF VRA BGI (07JAN) POS (21DEC16)

Europe
ATH BCN EDI VCE MAN LIS PRG BUD GLA LGW

Central and South America
LIM BOG PTY

YUL
USA
LAS MCO FLL PBI TPA MIA

Mexico
CUN MEX PVR (18NOV16)

Caribbean
ZSA CCC HOG PUJ SNU PLS POP PAP NAS (17JAN) PTP

Europe
FCO ATH BCN NCE VCE

Central and South America
SJO (22DEC16)

Africa
CMN

YYC
Canada
YHZ* YHM (2016)

USA
LAS PHX (winter only - PHX AC Express in summer)

YVR
USA
LAS HNL OGG PHX PSP KOA SAN (02JUN)

Mexico
CUN PVR

Asia
KIX

Europe
DUB LGA KEF

What to Do If Your Flight Has Been Rouged According to the AC Rep "Air Canada Altitude": call AC Reservations, cancel and get a refund.
Print Wikipost

Air Canada rouge, a leisure airline

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2012, 4:27 pm

Programs: Non-Rev Lifetime
Originally Posted by Dorian
I don't understand why you just don't make your point?

Is it that LCC means new cheaper staff, eventually? Is that the bush you are running around hitting?
What else could I mean?

Last edited by tcook052; Dec 29, 2012 at 5:05 pm Reason: content
Old Dec 30, 2012, 12:38 am

Originally Posted by PropWasher
What else could I mean?
It would seem likely that AC management believes they can spin this off from the mainline carrier and then focus on this model. Eventually you let the mainline carrier fail and then re-emerge with AC as a LCC without any of the constraints previously placed on them. Would make sense to me. AC likely can't get out of the long term debt implications, so you build up a LCC using AC as a funding and infrastructure source (much easier than starting from scratch) and then focus on the LCC if economic conditions deteriorate and the mainline carrier starts to tank it.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 4:25 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Jamie2k9
Have checked a few weeks in June/July on AC website and its down to fly YYZ-DUB 6 times a week with the other weekly flight scheduled for Executive First pods 767. Two flights for summer 2012 were Executive First pods.

It looks like BCN will now be all Executive First pods 767 flights as a result of the new loco.
Until dreamliners start to come in next year and then they'll change the 767s to Rouge configuration for these routes.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 2:36 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Rouge routes booked on flight passes will not received any additional mileage consideration. There is some precedent to this - Asia flight passes book into Tango, but are eligible for 100% status miles. This is not the case with Rouge. North American flight pass T&C:

Tango+
Eligible traveller will earn 100% Air Canada Status Miles for distance flown using flight credits. Status Miles qualify for Air Canada Top Tier Status.
Eligible travellers will earn 400 Air Canada Status Miles per flight operated by Air Canada rouge.
Latitude
Eligible travellers will earn 100% Air Canada Status Miles for distance flown, or the minimum mileage amount, whichever is greater, when using flight credits, including complimentary upgrades. Status Miles qualify for Air Canada Top Tier Status.
Eligible travellers will earn 1,400 Air Canada Status Miles per flight operated by Air Canada rouge.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Where has a legacy carrier successfully implemented a discount airline? I can think of Jetstar and that's all I come up with. Seems to me like this has been tried in many places and has not worked. I don't fly AC now and Rouge won't change that as Westjet will be competitive with Rouge as will the US carriers.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 12:21 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Air Miles
so the MRS and I will be flying off to EDI in September. my 3rd time. I was excited to see direct flight to EDI until i saw the price

ROUGE $1155.28

Transat to GLA is $893.68

as much as I hate flying to GLA and doing the bus transfer to EDI, I think I will have to for the $523.20(2 pax) difference.
Besides, I love the 2 seats near the back where you get like 34 inch seat pitch.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 1:58 pm

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by Ichinensei
so the MRS and I will be flying off to EDI in September. my 3rd time. I was excited to see direct flight to EDI until i saw the price

ROUGE $1155.28

Transat to GLA is $893.68

as much as I hate flying to GLA and doing the bus transfer to EDI, I think I will have to for the $523.20(2 pax) difference.
Besides, I love the 2 seats near the back where you get like 34 inch seat pitch.
then the price goes up by 320? 80 each way per person for 34?...meant Row 34?
Old Jan 3, 2013, 7:59 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Air Miles
Originally Posted by mkjr
then the price goes up by 320? 80 each way per person for 34?...meant Row 34?
I don't pay for the seats. I just select them 24 hours before the flight when I check in. Always have seats available. Transat flies 3-3-3 seat configuration but towards the end of the plane it becomes 2-3-2 and the 2's have normal seat width, maybe even more generous than AC and about 34 to 35 seat pitch. I'm 6"2 and my knees don't touch the seats in front of mine.. and this is when I am not even sitting up straight
Old Jan 3, 2013, 9:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by sp4294
It would seem likely that AC management believes they can spin this off from the mainline carrier and then focus on this model. Eventually you let the mainline carrier fail and then re-emerge with AC as a LCC without any of the constraints previously placed on them.
As unscrupulous as this sounds, you're probably closer to the truth than many would think. Let's not forget Calin is a bankruptcy lawyer by trade. As much as the newbie pilots gave the old guard in ACPA a rough time for being too cynical about the future, they've only become that way because they've seen it all from AC.

Originally Posted by Altaflyer
Where has a legacy carrier successfully implemented a discount airline? I can think of Jetstar and that's all I come up with. Seems to me like this has been tried in many places and has not worked. I don't fly AC now and Rouge won't change that as Westjet will be competitive with Rouge as will the US carriers.
I think JQ's success is only because their presence in Asia, where the recent explosion in LCCs has allowed people to travel far more than they used to. I think the climate now is far different than the days of Tango and Zip. Many regular carriers are either launching or acquiring LCCs including LH, AF/KL and SQ. Canada is one of the few places in the world now where there is no real LCC market so things could be different this time around, although I desperately hope Rouge goes in the rouge ASAP. (WS has a LCC structure, but the fares aren't really low and the on-board services exceed some traditional carriers)
Old Jan 3, 2013, 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by canadianpilot
AC Express Banner
Jazz - CRJ & Dash 8s - Short haul Domestic & Transborder - Unionized, high wages, low ticket prices, old airplanes, cpa....uncertain future
It's a scary world where the starting salary of $39k/yr for a [co-]pilot is considered "high wages". The least senior pilot was hired 7 years ago; so you're looking at at least 7 years of co-pilot pay before moving up (and that's if you want to fly props, make that 14 years for jets)
Old Jan 3, 2013, 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by Santander
ACanada is one of the few places in the world now where there is no real LCC market so things could be different this time around, although I desperately hope Rouge goes in the rouge ASAP. (WS has a LCC structure, but the fares aren't really low and the on-board services exceed some traditional carriers)
Yes, that is the case and it may fly for a while (or be the greatest thing since sliced bread according to some of the believers), but your last sentence is the real marketing plan IMO. Make it look like an LCC, but charge higher fares in reality, because in this market you really don't need to undercut as there is no real competition in Canada anyway. You thereby get rid of the pension and union problems and start fresh. Having said that, I believe they are aiming this at the international LCC market at least initially.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by CZBB
It's a scary world where the starting salary of $39k/yr for a [co-]pilot is considered "high wages". The least senior pilot was hired 7 years ago; so you're looking at at least 7 years of co-pilot pay before moving up (and that's if you want to fly props, make that 14 years for jets)
Haha...not to the bean counters...
Old Jan 3, 2013, 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by sp4294
You thereby get rid of the pension and union problems and start fresh.
How so? It has already been established that Rouge will rid AC of neither the pension nor the union "problems".
Old Jan 4, 2013, 12:14 am

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by CZBB
At AC? There are no prop drivers at AC, the smallest equipment operated by AC is the E75 (which is generally not mainline equipment). I don't have the ALPA/QK CA with me right now but IIRC starting pay at QK is now similar to AC. At QK, new hires draw between the Dash and the CRJ when they start.
Originally Posted by Spounce
How so? It has already been established that Rouge will rid AC of neither the pension nor the union "problems".
The suggestion is that AC will use Rouge as a platform to eventually merge at least part of their mainline ops into rather than having it as a bona fide poor cousin of AC. This is a pessimistic viewpoint but something of the sort may well happen. Of course, there will be fierce resistance from ACPA, CUPE, et al. for every inch Rouge steps into mainline AC territory but with Harper and Raitt in Ottawa AC clearly has the green light to play the hawk and get what they want.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 12:30 am

Originally Posted by Santander
The suggestion is that AC will use Rouge as a platform to eventually merge at least part of their mainline ops into rather than having it as a bona fide poor cousin of AC. This is a pessimistic viewpoint but something of the sort may well happen.
I don't see what AC would gain with such a move. It wouldn't rid AC of unions or of pension obligations. ACPA and CUPE have already taken up residence at Rouge--ACPA under the imposed contract, and CUPE via AC-CUPE agreement. Under the ACPA contract there are limits to Rouge's size.

AC in any case has no need that I can see to merge any of its mainline ops into Rouge. It is now free, within the restrictions to Rouge's size, to transfer what mainline ops it wishes to Rouge without performing a merger. As you're likely aware, ATH, the DR, Costa Rica and most Cuban routes will soon be moved to Rouge without a merger or any further girations at all. Other routes, I assume, will follow as Rouge expands (if it lasts).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.