Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Announcing Air Canada Altitude

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:19 pm

Finally reached Gold Status--oh wait, that's silver now

I have been flying for work for a few years and finally reached Elite Gold status! Access to the lounges and all that goes with it. Oh wait, they changed the program so that I am still a Silver member! Thanks Areoplan.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:23 pm

Programs: ACMM SE100K; *G
Welcome to the club.

...oh and to FlyerTalk
Old Oct 10, 2012, 1:15 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by John Palliser
I have been flying for work for a few years and finally reached Elite Gold status! Access to the lounges and all that goes with it. Oh wait, they changed the program so that I am still a Silver member! Thanks Areoplan.
You still select lounge access as a benefit in 2013. They'll likely enhance that away in 2014 for 35K, but for now...
Old Oct 10, 2012, 2:22 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Max Power
Thanks Jasper, I appreciate you providing the crib for that post, now I can go back and read it and try and make some sense of it.

As for the Aeroplan program changes - I'm SuperElite, and qualify for SuperElite every year because I constantly travel intercontinental in paid J for work purposes. To me, given my circumstances, the only benefits of Aeroplan SE membership are:

1) The dedicated phone number for SEs, which usually gets answered on the first ring, and;

2) The upgrade points, which allow me to buy Tango Plus fares for my international leisure travel and then upgrade to business. I've never failed to get an upgrade to J from a T+ fare in the past 3 or 4 years.

Everything else that the SE level offers (lounge access, priority boarding, priority check-in, priority baggage) I get automatically from any airline as a paid J passenger.

It doesn't appear to me that these 2013 program changes will affect me too much, although it appears at first glance that I lose a little bit by having to choose between a 100% bonus on Aeroplan points vs. a whole pile of eupgrade points at the start of the year - I think we used to get both in the past. But, I usually have lots of eupgrade points left over at year end, and now I will get a new benefit of being able to use eupgrade points to upgrade coach class Aeroplan reward tickets - so, I suppose it all averages out in the end.

What does surprise me is that Air Canada did not take the opportunity to sweeten the pot and encourage travelers (at all levels) to make more of an effort to fly on Air Canada and earn their frequent flyer status on Air Canada planes, as opposed to flying other Star Alliance carriers. In the past 5 years, I think I have only made 2 flights on any Star Alliance carrier other than Air Canada - in other words, the 100,000+ status miles I earn every year are flown entirely on Air Canada. From reading the comments in this thread, it appears that a lot of people earn Elite or SE recognition on Air Canada even though the bulk of their flying takes place on other Star Alliance carriers.

I would have thought that it would be in Air Canada's best interest to make it more attractive for people to fly specifically on Air Canada, rather than on any Star Alliance carrier.
The reality is that to earn 100% status miles on AC you must buy a T+ fare or higher. Air Canada has increased that fare massively for international flights in the past year. The introduction of Tango fares on these routes, fares that were previously T+, is another way of decreasing upgrade eligibility, equivalent to another upgrade surcharge. They are doing to T+ what they did to M. Next year, I will earn *A flying UA, something I should have done a long time ago. I will be flying YYC-Beijing at the end of the month on UA. Total cost is CAD $781. I will earn 13, 800 status miles traveling Economy Plus. I saw an offer of $ 951 for the same route on AC but that was for T at 50% status miles.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 5:15 pm

Programs: AC E50K (*Gold), DL, CZ
That fuel surcharge makes all the difference between a UA flight, and an AC flight. So it's with some regret that I focus more on the Mileage Plus program in 2013, while enjoying it using my AC 50K status

I could still log on with an Aeroplan #, but I figure since I'm using UA to gain my 2014 Star Gold status, I'd like to be able to select their Economy Plus seats without upfront fees.

After doing a more thorough search, and reading more pros and cons, I'll stick with Altitude... the lounge access is important to me as I want free internet access at ORD and EWR on long layovers.

In terms of flights, I also prefer AC's E90/320s/319s over UA's 320s, CR7s, and good gawd, those 757s.

Can I keep switching program preferences before I fly the first segment? I logged onto United.com and switched MP over to AC, along with my Aeroplan #.

Last edited by yqtyyz; Oct 10, 2012 at 6:14 pm Reason: Addition thoughts at bottom.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 9:56 am

I have had Elite status and star alliance gold for the past 3 years continuously.
I average 40K miles yearly with Air Canada or Star Alliance. (and 10K with other companies depending on destination)

I'm very pissed off at the new limits as a see my continuous loyalty downgraded from Gold to Silver

in 2013 i'm taking my flights with other companies.

Air Canada is betraying loyal customers like me. If they really care they should automatically upgrade to Gold any member who in the past 2 years flew more than 35K each year
Old Oct 12, 2012, 11:34 am

Programs: ACMM / Altitude S100K / HH Diamond
If I am not mistaken, most of the *A carriers require 50,000 milles for *A Gold - so good luck with your move elsewhere. This was all announced late 2011 so should not be a surprise to you.

Originally Posted by axmax
I have had Elite status and star alliance gold for the past 3 years continuously.
I average 40K miles yearly with Air Canada or Star Alliance. (and 10K with other companies depending on destination)

I'm very pissed off at the new limits as a see my continuous loyalty downgraded from Gold to Silver

in 2013 i'm taking my flights with other companies.

Air Canada is betraying loyal customers like me. If they really care they should automatically upgrade to Gold any member who in the past 2 years flew more than 35K each year
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:19 pm

Programs: AC E75K *G
Originally Posted by PreferBulkhead
If I am not mistaken, most of the *A carriers require 50,000 milles for *A Gold - so good luck with your move elsewhere. This was all announced late 2011 so should not be a surprise to you.
I haven't looked recently, and some carriers have come and gone, and maybe some have changed their rules, but I did check one time and it is actually the minority of *A carriers that have *G at 50k.

Some were higher and some were lower.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by zorn
I haven't looked recently, and some carriers have come and gone, and maybe some have changed their rules, but I did check one time and it is actually the minority of *A carriers that have *G at 50k.

COS is another variable too. Some airlines give more generous COS to those flying in premium fares, e.g., first, business and full Y to make it easier to attain *G even if they do not fly as often but always buy premium fares.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:38 pm

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
It's a big variable... But really depends on the airline.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:47 pm

A3 -20k for *G, 3 year validity
TK -40k first year, 2 year validity, 25k/1yr or 37.5k/2yr for renewal. Can buy 10 k status miles in 2 nd year. They are status matching *Gs from other programs.
OZ - 40k to get status, 40/2yrs to retain it (I think).

There are options.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:50 pm

Programs: ACMM / Altitude S100K / HH Diamond
Yup - more than I thought are less than 50K 0 - here are some examples ... I did not check her numbers ... obviously AC information is out-of-date at this link

http://maphappy.org/2012/06/quickest...alliance-gold/

My point was I guess that there are not that many options I think for < 50K for *A Gold... so complaining about AC raising to 50K and leaving for an airline who gives *A gold for less that 50K will not have alot of options. Some yes... but I do not think alot of options.

Originally Posted by zorn

Last edited by PreferBulkhead; Oct 12, 2012 at 1:01 pm
Old Oct 12, 2012, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Honors Diamond. Priority Club Platinum. Emerald Club Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Clipper801
COS is another variable too. Some airlines give more generous COS to those flying in premium fares, e.g., first, business and full Y to make it easier to attain *G even if they do not fly as often but always buy premium fares.
Something else to consider when moving from aeroplan to other *A carriers; how long will these "new" advantages remain? Although AC did give plenty of notice re: new threseholds for 35/50/75/100k's, I think the introduction of a mandatory 5 segments/10000 miles was implemented without much warning. And who's to say that a carrier with lower miles required for *G will continue to offer the same benefits the next year.

It is, for the most part, a crap shoot. Common sense should dictate that I join UA MP. I'd be 100k before the end of 2013. However, I would loose lounge access while in the US, whereas with AC, I get lounge access in the US. UA-I'd get free E+. When traveling AC, I *might* upgrade.

I used to know someone who often said "if I win, I loose. If I loose, I win". That statement makes no sense at all. In the context of customer loyalty and Frequent Flyer programs, it seems somewhat appropriate.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:32 pm

Programs: AC E50K (*Gold), DL, CZ
Completely agree... I switched back to earning Aeroplan points for my UA flights for that express purpose.

I don't really care too much for UA's E+ offerings anyway, so having Star Gold and being to access the lounge is more priority than getting that UA seat upgrade (with their long upgrade lists being what they usually are).

Originally Posted by nowinyow
It is, for the most part, a crap shoot. Common sense should dictate that I join UA MP. I'd be 100k before the end of 2013. However, I would loose lounge access while in the US, whereas with AC, I get lounge access in the US. UA-I'd get free E+. When traveling AC, I *might* upgrade.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 2:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by John Palliser
You are Star Gold until Feb 2013. (You'll drop to Silver on March 1.) Congratulations and welcome to FT!

Originally Posted by Clipper801
Depends on where you post your miles. I flew biz class on TG, OZ, SA, SQ and NH this summer and AE gave 25% COS while MP gave 50% COS. guess where I put my miles?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.