Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Do Aeroplan Phone Agents Still Make $11 per hour?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do Aeroplan Phone Agents Still Make $11 per hour?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2012, 1:08 am

Originally Posted by Braindrain
So, in theory, a senior agent could be doing a F/T job somewhere else and just arbitraging all his AP shifts to juniors. And the managers allow this?
Why not? Most of our economic system is based on this very model.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 1:13 am

Originally Posted by c_9
I suspect the managers notice if someone never comes to work. Could you just arbitrage out your job without someone noticing?
Is that better or worse than coming to work, doing nothing and nobody noticing?

Originally Posted by pokee
How do you get the ones with more experience when you call? Is it luck of the draw?
Senior employees are more likely to work early morning until mid afternoon.
Or would you rather talk to a less experienced agent who is more likely to "help."
Old Sep 17, 2012, 9:34 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Shareholder
How much do you think people get paid for telephone sales/support work these days? As noted, AE has a two tier wage scale to keep costs down. Most of its staff came from AC and CP and were pretty high up in the pay scales. It's worse in the US. The question is would you prefer to have young Canadians get these jobs to start off a career, or have these jobs done off-shore for even less? At least there are benefits and a pension plan, even if it's not as rich as those senior agents get.
Looks like I have been blissfully ignorant of the wages. Of course, when I think about the wages I earned right out of university, the were definitely bottom of the barrell as well.

Hopefull the better employees don't have to languish forever with those wages.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 3:38 pm

Either you've been brainwashed or you're living in the 1980's...
Explain the apartments that have 40% occupancy in Coal Harbour. Oh, and the 2 million+ CAD houses west of Oak/Cambie.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 4:43 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Originally Posted by yerffej201
Explain the apartments that have 40% occupancy in Coal Harbour. Oh, and the 2 million+ CAD houses west of Oak/Cambie.
That's your argument? Please quote me your research (and not hearsay) that apartment buildings in Coal Harbour have only 40% occupancy. I'd love to see it.

As for the $2M+ houses, ever look to West Vancouver/British Props? Tons of non-Asians who are living in/buying up places who would consider those Oak/Cambie houses as pauper shacks.

It's far more complicated than your friends/media can ever portray it.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 5:22 pm

Programs: SE
Looooong time lurker. First post to say... Sadly they must make about that and most be completely unhappy with work.

For years now i have suffered through AC's attempt at gluten free meals. While using my e-ups to move to J on yow to fra on Wednesday I realized they had my meal wrong. After + 20 mins on hold waiting at AC reservation I called the SE aeroplan priority to see if by chance she could make the change...

The resulting answer was lacking pulse. She could not help me, I had to wait etc... My experience has thought me that they can make the change... But what got to me was the piss pour attitude.

So like a previous poster said, I'm not one to get upset with customer service staff but I could not help but slide a "you've been a real pleasure to deal with today"

Honestly I have years of AC horror stories, 12hr flights becoming 24plus, food poisoning... But this AP phone person pissed me off enough to bring me out of lurking
Old Sep 17, 2012, 9:42 pm

That's your argument? Please quote me your research (and not hearsay) that apartment buildings in Coal Harbour have only 40% occupancy. I'd love to see it.

As for the $2M+ houses, ever look to West Vancouver/British Props? Tons of non-Asians who are living in/buying up places who would consider those Oak/Cambie houses as pauper shacks.

It's far more complicated than your friends/media can ever portray it.
No, I'm not saying there's isn't wealth in West Vancouver. And neither do I have cold, hard, evidence that occupancy is x%. There is just too much anecdotal evidence to believe otherwise. It's just the influx of money from Asia via immigrants that jacks up price of living. And believe me, it does.

It's also not just oak/cambie. A simple google search can show you how much ownership of real estate is foreign. Even if it is occupied, why else would real estate be so expensive? Why else would you see so many fobs at UBC driving uber-expensive cars? Why else would there be a market for custom-made pianos at 150k++ apiece?
It's a result of the influx of money into the neighbourhood. More demand, higher prices, thus higher standard of living.
Definitely it's not the people who live in West Vancouver.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 9:57 pm

Sigh... you go right ahead and believe your anecdotal (ie. hearsay) observations and so-called Google searches as your hard proof. Fact is, you really don't understand Vancouver real-estate other than what media and your water cooler talk is presenting you.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 11:17 pm

Programs: Via Preference Privilege, AC*A, Fairmont Plat, SPG Gold
During University I worked in a call center for $10/hr doing tech support for Comcast. It was a decent gig, hours were very flexible as tech support was 24/7. Compared with flipping burgers it was vaguely related to my field (comp sci) and was good experience in being able to stand up for yourself and deal with stressed people. Out of the thousands of calls I took the vast majority of people were civil, and it was pretty rare for people to swear.

For $10/hr its always a mix but they had some surprisingly good people. Some cases it was older people who had a partner who had a better income and they could get by with the relatively crappy pay. Others were University students etc.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:21 am

Sigh... you go right ahead and believe your anecdotal (ie. hearsay) observations and so-called Google searches as your hard proof. Fact is, you really don't understand Vancouver real-estate other than what media and your water cooler talk is presenting you.
Then why else would the standard of living (a large portion of which is comprised of housing) be rising? Don't tell me it's the increase of the minimum wage...
Old Sep 18, 2012, 8:23 pm

I'm not denying house prices are high. It's the underlying rationale that you're using that is incorrect. What you're stating had more of an impact in the 1980's than it does now.

Next time you're in Vancouver, talk to a (larger) developer rather than misinformed people.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:54 pm

I'm not denying house prices are high. It's the underlying rationale that you're using that is incorrect. What you're stating had more of an impact in the 1980's than it does now.

Next time you're in Vancouver, talk to a (larger) developer rather than misinformed people.
ER... I do live in YVR.
So you say there is no correlation with influx of Chinese Nationals and increase in real estate prices... specifically downtown (coal harbour) and vancouver west.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:04 pm

Then you're definitely not tracking what's really happening or you just don't have anyone informed to talk to. Just to refresh your memory, here's your original post:

It's called rich asians who fly CX F on cash and jack up cost of living.
That was a broad statement on the effect on the entire city. Then you go on to say (obviously influenced by media and hearsay):

Followed up by this gem:

Then why else would the standard of living (a large portion of which is comprised of housing) be rising? Don't tell me it's the increase of the minimum wage...
Will you stick to one (uninformed) assertion?
Old Sep 19, 2012, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by pokee
I remember seeing a job ad for AP phone agents a few years back - and it was a whopping $11 per hour salary.

One can only imagine the quality of the applicants willing to work for (and able to live off of) $11 per hour...

Just curious...
Minimum wage jobs are for students, new entrants into the employment marketplace, unskilled re-entrants, and part-timers looking for extra income. Not all jobs are intended (or should be) on the $75k/yr career path. Doesn't mean the quality of the people is less.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 2:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: Taiwan is a country.
I have a place in Coal Harbour, I'm at less than 40% of the time too.
I'm as white as you get, though not born in Canada.
Coal Harbour is more "vacation" ownership for people that want a place in Vancouver. I've met many other white Canadians that live in the Middle East, or
work in US, but keep their apartment in Coal Harbour.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.