FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Do Aeroplan Phone Agents Still Make $11 per hour? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1388115-do-aeroplan-phone-agents-still-make-11-per-hour.html)

pokee Sep 16, 2012 10:39 am

Do Aeroplan Phone Agents Still Make $11 per hour?

I remember seeing a job ad for AP phone agents a few years back - and it was a whopping $11 per hour salary.

One can only imagine the quality of the applicants willing to work for (and able to live off of) $11 per hour...

Just curious...

yqtyyz Sep 16, 2012 11:05 am

Wow, that's pretty low.

Regardless of how peeved I feel at any company, I always try not to take it out on the poor person at the other end of the line.

pokee Sep 16, 2012 11:44 am

This was in Vancouver, by the way. Not sure if agents in other parts of Canada make more. Probably...Vancouver wages blow...

tracon Sep 16, 2012 12:14 pm

$11 is probably starting wage B scale.
Senior agents A scale are over $20/hr.

This allows senior agents to sell shifts to junior agents for more than $11/hr.
Junior agent makes a little extra cash, senior agent pockets a couple dollars.

mapleg Sep 16, 2012 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by pokee (Post 19325385)
This was in Vancouver, by the way. Not sure if agents in other parts of Canada make more. Probably...Vancouver wages blow...

Wow. For a city noted for high cost of living, not much of a wage there.

RCyyz Sep 16, 2012 1:54 pm

$11/h x 7.5h/d x 5d/w x 52w/y = $21,450 per annum

Braindrain Sep 16, 2012 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by tracon (Post 19325498)

So, in theory, a senior agent could be doing a F/T job somewhere else and just arbitraging all his AP shifts to juniors. And the managers allow this?

Originally Posted by mapleg (Post 19325600)

Not all of us live in million dollar houses - just some of us. :D

yerffej201 Sep 16, 2012 2:50 pm

It's called rich asians who fly CX F on cash and jack up cost of living.

Braindrain Sep 16, 2012 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by yerffej201 (Post 19326035)
It's called rich asians who fly CX F on cash and jack up cost of living.

Either you've been brainwashed or you're living in the 1980's...

jarusoba Sep 16, 2012 3:35 pm

11$ an hour is about right. If AP pays them more than 11$, they would have to charge more than $30 booking fee.:eek:

upgradesecret Sep 16, 2012 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by tracon (Post 19325498)

The senior agent still pays the income tax on the $20/hr

c_9 Sep 16, 2012 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by Braindrain (Post 19325847)
So, in theory, a senior agent could be doing a F/T job somewhere else and just arbitraging all his AP shifts to juniors. And the managers allow this?

I suspect the managers notice if someone never comes to work. Could you just arbitrage out your job without someone noticing?

mapleg Sep 16, 2012 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by jarusoba (Post 19326227)
11$ an hour is about right. If AP pays them more than 11$, they would have to charge more than $30 booking fee.:eek:

Obviously I am not a fan of the booking fee, but I do note that the minimum wage is 10.25/hour in BC--I think they are worth more than 75 cents an hour over minimum wage. I mean a kid at Canada's Wonderland earns that much working the whack a mole concession!

Shareholder Sep 16, 2012 8:16 pm

How much do you think people get paid for telephone sales/support work these days? As noted, AE has a two tier wage scale to keep costs down. Most of its staff came from AC and CP and were pretty high up in the pay scales. It's worse in the US. The question is would you prefer to have young Canadians get these jobs to start off a career, or have these jobs done off-shore for even less? At least there are benefits and a pension plan, even if it's not as rich as those senior agents get.

pokee Sep 16, 2012 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by mapleg (Post 19327071)
Obviously I am not a fan of the booking fee, but I do note that the minimum wage is 10.25/hour in BC--I think they are worth more than 75 cents an hour over minimum wage. I mean a kid at Canada's Wonderland earns that much working the whack a mole concession!

Minimum wage just recently went up in BC (used to be the lowest in Canada at $8 per hour! Ironic, eh?), so it's possible their wages did, too.

I didn't realize that Aeroplan had two tiers of phone support. How do you get the ones with more experience when you call? Is it luck of the draw?