Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Denied upgrade when there is space in J

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2012, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*E

So I try to take AC033 from YYZ to YVR because it's a bigger plane, but also because there's more J space. While R is usually 0, I find that there are ALWAYS open seats and I AWLAYS get denied for the upgrade.

What gives?
Old Sep 4, 2012, 12:29 pm

Programs: A3*G AC*nobody TK*nobody
Really?

Perhaps most people are flying Tango fare?
Old Sep 4, 2012, 12:35 pm

upgrade to J using eUpgrades, LMU or just purely asking?
Old Sep 4, 2012, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

eUps (waitlisted) and asking (in the lounge and at the gate).
Old Sep 4, 2012, 12:42 pm
alc

i wonder why you didn't get the upgrade.

For OP-UP, I always book the flight that is J > 0 and Y < 0 (i.e. oversold)

did you ask the GA why you didn't get the upgrade?
Old Sep 4, 2012, 12:55 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by blittin
So I try to take AC033 from YYZ to YVR because it's a bigger plane, but also because there's more J space. While R is usually 0, I find that there are ALWAYS open seats and I AWLAYS get denied for the upgrade.

What gives?

Do you have an ex at AC? or forget to call someone in the morning?
Old Sep 4, 2012, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alc

I wanted to ask last night, but it was busy at boarding time and she did not look like she wanted to answer my question. I just assumed I didn't win Aerolotto or there were too many people ahead of me on the waitlist. Then when I got on and there were 4+ seats open, I got really grumpy. I got even grumpier when someone behind me was moved up when I had also asked if I could move and was told no.

Old Sep 4, 2012, 1:12 pm

Programs: Altitude E50K, WS Gold (status match)
Originally Posted by alc

Y<0? This raises a question I've always had about Expertflyer and similar fare tools: do they actually show oversold situations? I thought they stopped at zero and this was the limit of what you would see in fare class reporting.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 2:34 pm
alc

Originally Posted by capebretonboy
Y<0? This raises a question I've always had about Expertflyer and similar fare tools: do they actually show oversold situations? I thought they stopped at zero and this was the limit of what you would see in fare class reporting.
Sorry, I do not have ExpertFlyer or anything like that. What I really meant is that a flight that is ovbious oversold, i.e. you can book 8 seats while the seat map only has 2 remaining. I mainly use this method with my Flight Pass where I do normally book 1 or 2 day before my flight and try to grab which ever flight that is full so I have a higher chance for a OP-UP.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 2:42 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
I wanted to ask last night, but it was busy at boarding time and she did not look like she wanted to answer my question. I just assumed I didn't win Aerolotto or there were too many people ahead of me on the waitlist. Then when I got on and there were 4+ seats open, I got really grumpy. I got even grumpier when someone behind me was moved up when I had also asked if I could move and was told no.

Last night (Sept 3rd)? I was in J...I didn't see any open seats in either J cabin.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

Really? I was looking at 2 from my seat in Y... No to mention the other PAX that asked to move and was allowed.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 5:33 pm

Really? I was looking at 2 from my seat in Y... No to mention the other PAX that asked to move and was allowed.
typically waitlisted J (using eupgrades) will only be processed during boarding....(dont ask me why they wait so late.....)
Old Sep 4, 2012, 9:38 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
This is why I am always among the last to board on the rare occasion my upgrade request is to be cleared at the gate. I always ask if J has "boarded full" not checked in full.

A couple of times I have been told J was full, so I go board, I see a seat or two open in J. I ask the SD if anyone is sitting in one of the seats, sometimes the answer is yes (pax is in the bathroom, talking with someone on Y cabin, etc) other times it is no. If no, I tell the SD one moment, I'm going to see the GA. Talk to the GA, tell them there are open seats in J, which usually results in a couple of trips up and down the jet bridge and ultimately a seat in J.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 9:46 pm

Programs: AC SEMM
Perhaps the J seats were broken?
Old Sep 4, 2012, 9:54 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

I just checked and J was full on AC033 YYZ-YVR last night; the upgrades (very few) were all legit on eUpgrades. The one pax that was moved up after boarding was also legit due to a no show so the GA moved the next person on the list up to J.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.