FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Denied upgrade when there is space in J (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1384196-denied-upgrade-when-there-space-j.html)

blittin Sep 4, 2012 12:18 pm

Denied upgrade when there is space in J

So I try to take AC033 from YYZ to YVR because it's a bigger plane, but also because there's more J space. While R is usually 0, I find that there are ALWAYS open seats and I AWLAYS get denied for the upgrade.

What gives?

Away from YYZ Sep 4, 2012 12:29 pm

Really?

Perhaps most people are flying Tango fare?

global happy traveller Sep 4, 2012 12:35 pm

upgrade to J using eUpgrades, LMU or just purely asking?

blittin Sep 4, 2012 12:38 pm

eUps (waitlisted) and asking (in the lounge and at the gate).

alc Sep 4, 2012 12:42 pm

i wonder why you didn't get the upgrade.

For OP-UP, I always book the flight that is J > 0 and Y < 0 (i.e. oversold)

did you ask the GA why you didn't get the upgrade?

HerpaYvr Sep 4, 2012 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by blittin (Post 19251552)
So I try to take AC033 from YYZ to YVR because it's a bigger plane, but also because there's more J space. While R is usually 0, I find that there are ALWAYS open seats and I AWLAYS get denied for the upgrade.

What gives?

Do you have an ex at AC? or forget to call someone in the morning? :D:D:D:D

blittin Sep 4, 2012 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by alc (Post 19251744)

I wanted to ask last night, but it was busy at boarding time and she did not look like she wanted to answer my question. I just assumed I didn't win Aerolotto or there were too many people ahead of me on the waitlist. Then when I got on and there were 4+ seats open, I got really grumpy. I got even grumpier when someone behind me was moved up when I had also asked if I could move and was told no.

:mad:

capebretonboy Sep 4, 2012 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by alc (Post 19251744)

Y<0? This raises a question I've always had about Expertflyer and similar fare tools: do they actually show oversold situations? I thought they stopped at zero and this was the limit of what you would see in fare class reporting.

alc Sep 4, 2012 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by capebretonboy (Post 19251952)
Y<0? This raises a question I've always had about Expertflyer and similar fare tools: do they actually show oversold situations? I thought they stopped at zero and this was the limit of what you would see in fare class reporting.

Sorry, I do not have ExpertFlyer or anything like that. What I really meant is that a flight that is ovbious oversold, i.e. you can book 8 seats while the seat map only has 2 remaining. I mainly use this method with my Flight Pass where I do normally book 1 or 2 day before my flight and try to grab which ever flight that is full so I have a higher chance for a OP-UP.

Dorian Sep 4, 2012 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by blittin (Post 19251868)
I wanted to ask last night, but it was busy at boarding time and she did not look like she wanted to answer my question. I just assumed I didn't win Aerolotto or there were too many people ahead of me on the waitlist. Then when I got on and there were 4+ seats open, I got really grumpy. I got even grumpier when someone behind me was moved up when I had also asked if I could move and was told no.

:mad:

Last night (Sept 3rd)? I was in J...I didn't see any open seats in either J cabin.

blittin Sep 4, 2012 4:46 pm

Really? I was looking at 2 from my seat in Y... No to mention the other PAX that asked to move and was allowed.

global happy traveller Sep 4, 2012 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by blittin (Post 19253305)
Really? I was looking at 2 from my seat in Y... No to mention the other PAX that asked to move and was allowed.

typically waitlisted J (using eupgrades) will only be processed during boarding....(dont ask me why they wait so late.....)

jaysona Sep 4, 2012 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by blittin (Post 19251868)

This is why I am always among the last to board on the rare occasion my upgrade request is to be cleared at the gate. I always ask if J has "boarded full" not checked in full.

A couple of times I have been told J was full, so I go board, I see a seat or two open in J. I ask the SD if anyone is sitting in one of the seats, sometimes the answer is yes (pax is in the bathroom, talking with someone on Y cabin, etc) other times it is no. If no, I tell the SD one moment, I'm going to see the GA. Talk to the GA, tell them there are open seats in J, which usually results in a couple of trips up and down the jet bridge and ultimately a seat in J. :D

Argonaut1000 Sep 4, 2012 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by blittin (Post 19253305)

Perhaps the J seats were broken?

Andrew Yiu Sep 4, 2012 9:54 pm

I just checked and J was full on AC033 YYZ-YVR last night; the upgrades (very few) were all legit on eUpgrades. The one pax that was moved up after boarding was also legit due to a no show so the GA moved the next person on the list up to J.