Community
Wiki Posts
Search

YYZ to LAS via YVR

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2012, 7:28 pm
Original Poster

YYZ to LAS via YVR

I am travelling to LAS in October routing through YVR from YYZ.
My question is do you have to retrieve your luggage in YVR and then take it through US Customs there or does it get tagged in Toronto and put on through. I have never travelled to another Canadian city first before entering the US. Thanks for any replies.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 7:33 pm
Formerly known as I_Hate_US_Airways

Programs: My Loyalty Programs? I now VOTE with my wallet!!!
Hmmm...

Originally Posted by Ledroc757
I am travelling to LAS in October routing through YVR from YYZ.
My question is do you have to retrieve your luggage in YVR and then take it through US Customs there or does it get tagged in Toronto and put on through. I have never travelled to another Canadian city first before entering the US. Thanks for any replies.
if memory serves me correctly, you'll need to retrieve your bags in Vancouver and then clear US customs says why the are will be your entry point into the US.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 8:10 pm

Your luggage will be checked through to LAS, no need to retrieve it in YVR. Depending on how fast you are you may need to wait for them to snap a picture of your luggage before you are able to clear customs.

At the moment I believe that this is unique to YVR and YUL, all other Canadian connections would require you to retrieve your luggage. YYZ should be added to that list soon, but they have been saying soon for months now.

The YVR website has a nice step by step guide to what you need to do, check it out.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 7:38 am

Programs: AC *E/PC Gold /BW Diamond/Hertz Gold Plus/SPG Gold/Marriot Silver/ TUMI Alpha
Originally Posted by SensFan
Your luggage will be checked through to LAS, no need to retrieve it in YVR. Depending on how fast you are you may need to wait for them to snap a picture of your luggage before you are able to clear customs.

At the moment I believe that this is unique to YVR and YUL, all other Canadian connections would require you to retrieve your luggage. YYZ should be added to that list soon, but they have been saying soon for months now.

The YVR website has a nice step by step guide to what you need to do, check it out.
+1.

Just did this yesterday on my from
Yeg-yvr-San, as well as many other times.
Even had to wait for luggage to show up on the CPU screen. No biggie small wait area.

No
Nexus /GE for domestic to US connection but lineups for cBP are fairly small and quick.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 8:06 am
Original Poster

Thank you very much for the responses. I also went to the YVR website....they have instructions right on there.. appreciate help.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 8:42 am

Programs: UA 1K, AC nadda, DL, WS-Nadda
Originally Posted by morphius909
+1.

Even had to wait for luggage to show up on the CPU screen. No biggie small wait area.

No
Nexus /GE for domestic to US connection but lineups for cBP are fairly small and quick.
No NEXUS/GE in YVR, is it a backwater?
Old Jul 18, 2012, 9:04 am

Programs: AC *E/PC Gold /BW Diamond/Hertz Gold Plus/SPG Gold/Marriot Silver/ TUMI Alpha
Originally Posted by yul36
No GE Nexus if you take the domestic to US connection path. I asked yesterday and the said the volume isn't big enough to have the machines. If you want to use the machines, you gotta exit and use the main CBP entry hall
Old Jul 18, 2012, 9:41 am

Programs: UA 1K, AC nadda, DL, WS-Nadda
No GE Nexus if you take the domestic to US connection path. I asked yesterday and the said the volume isn't big enough to have the machines. If you want to use the machines, you gotta exit and use the main CBP entry hall
Thanks......
Old Jul 18, 2012, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have found this to facilitate my transit more quickly. Exit and re-enter main CBP
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:37 pm
Formerly known as I_Hate_US_Airways

Programs: My Loyalty Programs? I now VOTE with my wallet!!!
Good To Know!!!

+1.

No
Thanks for posting this. As an FYI, will be flying in & out of YVR several times in the few months...now that they have GE in addition to NEXUS, I'll be using GE so that I won't have to fill out the blue US Customs ANY more! (-;
Old Jul 19, 2012, 6:11 pm

Programs: aeroplan Elite, Priority Club. HHonours
Originally Posted by yul36

If connecting via YVR (Canada to USA) NEXUS is not available. If starting the journey in YVR NEXUS is available. As I understand it from frequent connections via YVR to US the routining thro the airport into the US area takes you to the South side of the 24 or so border agent booths whereas the line of NEXUS terminals are set up at the North side. Also be prepared for a secondary security check before entering the US side of the airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.