Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

What Kind Of Compensation am I owed?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2012, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Last edited by LovesTraveling; Feb 12, 2014 at 2:16 am
Old Jul 17, 2012, 2:46 pm

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
Nope, even though you feel entitled, you will get over it, and AC owes you absolutely nothing.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by AriLovesTraveling
I was flying an AC Airbus a319, from EWR-YVR.

My seat of IFE WASN'T working while the whole plane was.

So for 6 hours I had nothing to do as I relied on the IFE

Then I asked for a special meal on my flight from YVR to HKG due to dietary restrictions I have probably called AC and my travel agent 3 times each to confirm.

When I got on the plane their was no meal at alll and I wasn't on their list. So I was stuck eating basically nothing for 13 hours

Does Air Canada owe me anything for my inconveinces?
I would expect so. To be honest, I don't know.

What I do know is that over the next few posts, some will say you are. Some will say you aren't. And at least one poster will try to blame you for what happened and for not planning any contingencies. Don't take any of it to heart. Sooner or later someone who's experienced this and complained will tell you what happened and how it was resolved.

Have you contacted AC? I don't think there's any watchdog you can raise this issue with. Well, we have one, but its utterly useless.

Contact AC. IF that goes nowhere, try this site:
http://www.otc-cta.gc.ca/eng/air-travel-complaints-1

And hope for the best. AC will probably resolve it by giving you AE miles or a 5-10% off voucher (valid on base fares only).
Old Jul 17, 2012, 2:52 pm
alc

You can try to send your complain to the following link:

http://help-aircanada.com/aircanada/...ue.do?lang=ENU

and see if you can get anything by a % off code.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by jlisi984
Nope, even though you feel entitled, you will get over it, and AC owes you absolutely nothing.
BA bumped me up from World Traveller to Club World on an LHR-EWR flight because my IFE wasn't working. I guess past experience with others can cloud expectations about what airlines have to do and what they can choose to do.

AC should send a letter to BA to tell them to help manage Canadian's expectations.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Last edited by LovesTraveling; Feb 12, 2014 at 2:17 am
Old Jul 17, 2012, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by AriLovesTraveling
Thanks for all your replies. Too this point I recieved a 5 percent off voucher which is useless to me. No meal for a flighh+ no ife.

Am I going into a lost corner by trying to get something that is wortwhile?
More than that is very, very unlikely. Raise it with the Canadian aviation watchdog (if it qualifies as that - its got less teeth than a gummy bear). We don't really have many pro-consumer bodies here in Canada (and even fewer effective ones), so you could try and use a US watchdog (since I assume you bought your ticket in the US).

All it will cost you is an email or two. I'd give it a shot.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 3:29 pm

If someone orders a special meal and it is documented as such then they perhaps should receive something this to me is not being "Entitled"...
Old Jul 17, 2012, 4:15 pm

It has been well-documented that AC doesn't always cater special meals.
If you have such sever dietary restrictions that you can't eat the chicken/pasta usually on offer, then you should really buy something at the airport, or bring something with you. @:-)
Old Jul 17, 2012, 4:23 pm

If you have such sever dietary restrictions that you can't eat the chicken/pasta usually on offer, then you should really buy something at the airport, or bring something with you. @:-)
Like clockwork.

Perhaps AC should explicitly advertise that they may or may not provide special meals regardless of whether a client orders them, and therefore the client must plan for contingencies.

When they do that, I will agree with you in principle. But as such, when one buys an airfare, AC does not warn pax to prepare for contingencies such as their own inability to cater to customers despite adequate notice. Therefore it is a bit unreasonable to expect pax to come prepared for the possibility of AC screwing up. A first-time passenger would have no idea.

Bit rich trying to pass the blame from the airline to the pax, dont you think?
Old Jul 17, 2012, 4:25 pm

Amazing, then, that AC offers passengers the option to preselect special meals. Maybe they should be honest about it and simply tell people to cater their own food if they have restrictions?

Actually, I'm in agreement that with AC it is pointless to rely on their special meals as delivery is so unreliable.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by yulred
Like clockwork.

Perhaps AC should explicitly advertise that they may or may not provide special meals regardless of whether a client orders them, and therefore the client must plan for contingencies.

When they do that, I will agree with you in principle. But as such, when one buys an airfare, AC does not warn pax to prepare for contingencies such as their own inability to cater to customers despite adequate notice. Therefore it is a bit unreasonable to expect pax to come prepared for the possibility of AC screwing up. A first-time passenger would have no idea.

Bit rich trying to pass the blame from the airline to the pax, dont you think?
No, not trying to pass on the blame. Just don't like the post title at all. And I do believe when you pre-order a meal that your meal choice is never guaranteed, just like your seat choice is never guaranteed. Any notion from Air Canada will be a notion of good-will, and good marketing of course.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 4:38 pm

Programs: AC E75K *G
Air Canada is very cheap with compensation.

I think no food on an international flight merits a full refund.

And since IFE is one of the main things that distinguishes AC from the rest of North American airline detritus, I think 15% is minimum compensation.

All that being said, the fact you had nothing to eat is your fault. The only guarantee for a picky eater is to bring your own. Remember - never rely on an airline to do anything right.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 4:41 pm

No, not trying to pass on the blame. Just don't like the post title at all. And I do believe when you pre-order a meal that your meal choice is never guaranteed, just like your seat choice is never guaranteed. Any notion from Air Canada will be a notion of good-will, and good marketing of course.
Haha, too true. But it is something that airlines need to rectify all the same. I've seen it happen on other airlines as well. They've usually found a solution (typically involves scavenging for bits and pieces from across the galleys).

On the face of it, the airline shouldn't have this problem, though I suppose it does demand a follow-up question to OP - did the cabin crew at least try to resolve the problem by scavenging across the galleys? I've been on airlines where veg options (just the main) have been brought from the 'front', to help out folk who're going without food in the chicken or beef class. I find it odd that this pax had to go without food.

Was it due to a lack of options or a lack of effort?
Old Jul 17, 2012, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1. They don't *owe* the OP anything. He is not entitled to any form of compensation under the contract.

2. However some goodwill would be nice. As we all know, if he files a complaint, he'll likely get a 10-15% discount coupon for his next ticket purchase.

3. We probably should have a master thred for the "entitled" folks. something like /dev/null.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.