Search

YVR connection on separate PNR

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2012, 1:36 pm
mos
Original Poster

YVR connection on separate PNR

Hi all,

Hoping to get some advice on a potentially tight connection through YVR on separate PNRs. I've booked a *A award flight (using US miles) for my mum from PER-SIN-HKG-YVR in J arriving 1635 on July 4, and need to book an onward connection to YYC. One option I'm looking at is on AC departing at 1800, which from what I can gather is (just) longer than the MCT for an International to Domestic connection at YVR (incoming HKG-YVR flight is on AC).

Obviously there is a reasonable chance that with any delay mum will miss that connection; what are AC likely to do if she does miss that flight? The bookings will be on different PNRs (I can't add the YVR-YYC leg to the award booking), but do you think AC would just put her on the next available flight?

The alternatives are to book a YVR-YYC flight on AC at 1900 but the fare is about $150 higher, or to book on Westjet at 1915 which would be slightly cheaper than the 1800hrs AC flight. Does anyone have experience with transferring from AC to Westjet in YVR - is it significantly more complicated than AC to AC? Also, if the HKG-YVR flight is delayed and she misses the 1915 flight would Westjet be likely to rebook her on a later flight?

I appreciate that no-one can offer any guarantees, but would be interested in opinions from people with a bit of experience in this sort of situation. I'm not too worried about mum missing the connection per se provided she will eventually get to Calgary, but I'd also rather not have her waiting 5 hours in YVR if she could potentially make an earlier flight.

Cheers,
Mike

PS I've tried calling AC reservations a couple of times today but gave up after about 30 minutes on hold, although I'd be happy to persist if people thought there was a benefit in speaking with an directly agent over relying on the information AC have on their website.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 1:49 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
She has to go through customs at YVR.

One time customs decided to search through my 6 month's worth of luggage and that took 3 hours. I had single PNR itinerary so AC rebooked me with no charge.

With separate PNR or even different airlines, good luck. You can of course book a later connection to start with, and then get paid/free same-day-change.

===
EDIT: forgot to say if there is no customs delay, it's not a problem.

Last edited by beep88; Jun 15, 2012 at 2:04 pm
Old Jun 15, 2012, 1:58 pm

Programs: AC LT E50K; AC*MM; SPG LT Gold
Normally a 1.5 hr connection through YVR should be no problem. The only potential concern will be the time taken for the bags to come out (those priority tags don't mean much in Canada). Once your Mum is out of customs, she will need to go to the Connections Desk to re-drop off her bags. If it looks tight, she should talk to the agents there and show that she came in on AC J. I've always found the folks at that desk accommodating.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 2:11 pm

Would SQ in Perth be willing to through check the bags to YYC?
If so, go for the 18:00.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 2:29 pm
mos
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tracon
I think so - SQ agents in Perth have through checked bags for me in the past on different tickets. I understand that she will have to collect her bags in YVR regardless to clear customs but I guess having a pre-tagged bag might help speed things up, or at least get a bit more sympathy from the transfer desk if it looks like she'll miss the connection.

Thanks everyone for your helpful comments - will probably go with the 1800 flight on AC, hope for a sympathetic transfer agent if the incoming flight is delayed, and suggest mum pack a toothbrush in carry on in case she makes the flight but the bag doesn't.

Cheers,
Mike
Old Jun 15, 2012, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by tracon
Might only save a few minutes in retagging bags as she still has to reclaim and clear them at YVR?
Old Jun 15, 2012, 3:46 pm

Programs: CX GO, BA Gold, OZ*G, IHG Spire RA
I've been held up at customs before when connecting on a separate ticket. I was told by customs, and later confirmed by AC, that they would re-book me no charge for this type of delay. In the end I made the flight but it was super tight.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 5:38 pm
mos
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DieselYVR
I've been held up at customs before when connecting on a separate ticket. I was told by customs, and later confirmed by AC, that they would re-book me no charge for this type of delay. In the end I made the flight but it was super tight.
Thanks, that is reassuring. I've gone ahead with the 1800 flight; hopefully won't ever find out what happens if you miss a connection in this situation.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 7:30 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
On her arrival at YVR International, after she gets stamped or inspected by CBSA, she'll collect her bags, and head to the relatively new Domestic Connections over at AC (far right side of the baggage hall).

She will hand her traveller declaration card to CBSA at a semi private exit. "Domestic Connections"

She will ride a private elevator on the secure side up two levels to a long hallway which leads to the connections desk. Once checked in, she'll head to semi private screening which leads directly into the C departures finger for domestic departures.

Note - Westjet does not appear to have this semi private desk/screening as their connections area is on the opposite corner of the baggage hall. So I think you did the right thing by staying AC.

Once she exits the international arrivals, there is usually never anyone there so odds are good once she gets out of the customs haul - provided no delays with bags or CBSA.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 9:36 pm

Programs: AC S100K
Since it's a different PNR, she'll need to check-in for YYC 30 minutes before departure.

Safe thing to do is book a later flight and pay the change fee.

If she's arriving in J she's entitled to use the concierge in Hong Kong who might help facilitate the YVR changeover.

Oh, and keep an eye open for award space opening for YVR/YYC. If you find some, add the leg to the award ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.