Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

NEW: Seat selection For bookings made elsewhere than on aircanada.com

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEW: Seat selection For bookings made elsewhere than on aircanada.com

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2018, 10:28 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by SFO777
To change an LH seat, call LH.
To change an AC seat, call AC.
Well yes. How simplistic.

I was looking for an online solution/tool that I may not be aware of. This thread taught me one, I thought it might be able to teach me another.

It just seems odd to me that code share seat selection seems to get lost in the clouds.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
Well yes. How simplistic.
I was looking for an online solution/tool that I may not be aware of. This thread taught me one, I thought it might be able to teach me another.
It just seems odd to me that code share seat selection seems to get lost in the clouds.
Sometimes LH.com will let you select seats, sometimes it won't. If it doesn't let you select seats, you'll have to call.
Some airlines and alliances have good IT, others do not. LH.com is generally terrible at best. And we all know about AC.com.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 11:48 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
If my limited experience, once I have gotten the operating carriers code, I've nearly always been able to select a seat myself. The only carrier to give me issues, is AC. And they let me ... it just showed different depending upon where I look

Regardless, if it's not working for whatever reason as stated above - call the people on whose metal you fly. Just like checking in.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 11:53 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by SFO777
Sometimes LH.com will let you select seats, sometimes it won't. If it doesn't let you select seats, you'll have to call.
+1

I had a recent experience with a 'simple' set of internal European flights on LH where I could select seats online for some flights, but not others. On the same PNR. So I had to call LH Rez to get seats for some of these.

No pattern was apparent, it just was what it was. Another reason I'm less inclined to fly LH where possible.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 12:42 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
To report back, I did end up having to call LH. Saddled up for a long morning. It took about 3 minutes. I do appreciate the input from all of you though.

Now I have to call Eurowings for the 2 inter-EU flights - may not bother though because it is business class and there are no bad options on their A319s.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 2:48 pm

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, Bonvoy Gold, HHonors Diamond, VIA Premier, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
Could use some help from you experts.

Booked on 014 ticket stock, 1st leg is AC, other legs are EW/LH. Hate the seat selected for me for the LH flight from MUC-YVR (IFE experience kinda sucks in bulkhead seats) and cannot figure out where to change it. Used the link in here and see this:

I have the LH locator, go to LH and see this:

My corporate travel agent is utterly useless and says they cannot change the seat.

Who do I contact, AC or LH? Is there a way to avoid spending my morning in HUCA status? Is there an online tool I'm missing?
Was that booking done today? It may take a day for partner airlines to confirm everything. I usually wait 24-48 hours before attempting to change seat. If it does not work on LH website, I try different *A website such as Swiss, LOT, Brussels, etc (they all use Amadeus) and sometimes I'm able to change seat on their site (and then go back on the LH website to make sure new seat is there). Other times, I use the app and it works. And finally, it not always possible to do it online and I have to call in. It's trial and error!
Old Aug 15, 2018, 6:17 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by DNAwizard
Was that booking done today? It may take a day for partner airlines to confirm everything. I usually wait 24-48 hours before attempting to change seat. If it does not work on LH website, I try different *A website such as Swiss, LOT, Brussels, etc (they all use Amadeus) and sometimes I'm able to change seat on their site (and then go back on the LH website to make sure new seat is there). Other times, I use the app and it works. And finally, it not always possible to do it online and I have to call in. It's trial and error!
Twitter can also work wonders when the websites aren't being useful. Not all airlines have very effective social media teams but I find most will be able to assign a seat when asked.
DNAwizard and zeer0 like this.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Having trouble with seat selection on AC (so, what else is new?), but this time, a little different than I'm used to.

Just booked an award through MileagePlus - one direction is an AC segment. Trying to select seats. Started putting in my PNR/last name on AC.com, and as expected, got directed to the seat selection tool. Except there doesn't seem to be an option for seat selection. I see a few options, (print itinerary, provide advance passenger info., etc.), but no seat selection link. It's usually there (IIRC). Further down, it shows Seat Selection: None. Interestingly, it also has a blank next to my ticket number. United definitely gave me one.

Any reason why seat selection shouldn't be available (and on an award, is it free, or is there supposed to be a cost - this is a transborder flight?) Has anyone seen this before? In the end, probably not a huge deal - it's on a CRJ, so really, there's barely less bad seats, but I prefer to be closer to the front, away from the engines. Wondering if its bot only a seat selection issue, but if AC doesn't actually have the ticket number, I suppose that would be a problem.
zeer0 likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Any reason why seat selection shouldn't be available (and on an award, is it free, or is there supposed to be a cost - this is a transborder flight?)
I believe that you answered your own question.

Originally Posted by emcampbe
Just booked an award through MileagePlus
I've booked numerous AC segments with UA MileagePlus and I've never been able to select AC metal seats any way other than calling in or social media.
zeer0 likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 3:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Does X class entitle you to free seat selection?
Old Nov 28, 2018, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Does X class entitle you to free seat selection?
At least when redeeming UA miles, it does, once you actually manage to get it done.

I have a Lifemiles award booked in I, and cant select seats. Its not even an option.
Why is Air Canada the only airline without online seat selection in business class?

Old Nov 28, 2018, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rankourabu

Why is Air Canada the only airline without online seat selection in business class?
It's not. Try LH at least intra-Europe. And paid, not award.
Seat13F_AC_CRJ likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 5:05 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
AC seat selection for awards is a pain in the ... for no good reason. Why have that hilarious 1990s style seat selection tool for non ac.com bookings if it doesn't even work for any award tickets. at least AC has quick and competent social media on both facebook and twitter.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 2:14 pm

Programs: *
I have a D fare booking with AC ticket number got through travel agent and still cant get seat selection online (I could for a week then no more) - not just an award ticket problem,
Old Apr 20, 2019, 3:59 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
With the Amadeus migration coming, there is no point in AC investing in anything related to its current system, so this is unlikely to be fixed until then.
canadiancow likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.