Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada blamed for minister's hefty travel bill

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2012, 6:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: Altitude SEMM

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...ravel-502.html

What I found interesting when looking at routings YYT-YQX is that they include options like YYT-YUL-YWK-YQX!

Also not clear why he claims a round trip costs around $1,200 (surely some preplanning is possible in many cases).
Old May 2, 2012, 6:36 am

Programs: BA Silver
$1,200 round trip eh?

Newfoundland and Labrador flight pass costs $3,500 (T+) or $4,500 (Lat) all-in for 10 credits. What a maroon!
Old May 2, 2012, 9:09 am

Could have hire a limo for less than $1200.
Old May 2, 2012, 3:38 pm

Programs: O6*G, Delta Silver, Air Berlin Silver, Marriott Gold, A|Club Gold, SPG Gold, AMEX Platinum
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Souvlaki
$1,200 round trip eh?

Newfoundland and Labrador flight pass costs $3,500 (T+) or $4,500 (Lat) all-in for 10 credits. What a maroon!
+1
Old May 2, 2012, 7:22 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by tracon
Could have hire a limo for less than $1200.
But would that include YQ?
Old May 2, 2012, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Next, he'll be allowed to take COdbaUA to EWR and AC to YYT via YYZ from there.
That might be cheaper.
In all seriousness, it's too high.

Last edited by AA_EXP09; May 2, 2012 at 8:28 pm
Old May 2, 2012, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by Livyer
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...ravel-502.html

What I found interesting when looking at routings YYT-YQX is that they include options like YYT-YUL-YWK-YQX!

Also not clear why he claims a round trip costs around $1,200 (surely some preplanning is possible in many cases).
Interesting, if I run a search for YYT-YQX with YUL as a stop no options are given, even tho you can do yyz/yul/yhz in between
Old May 3, 2012, 12:49 am

Programs: AC E50K (*G), Westjet Gold
Originally Posted by Souvlaki
$1,200 round trip eh?

It would probably save alot of people alot of money if companies/ the Govt' understood and actually used flight passes....

I have to say though, this man must book at the very last second, and most likely on latitude fares...makes sense that the fares would be steep! No competition, last minute fare, fully flexible ticket....

I think he sould do:

1- Book in advance if possible...could save some big $$$$
2- If he is indeed on Y/B fares, go T+....There aren't that many other flights per day, so if he did indeed need the flexibility to change, the small fee would be far less than a lat fare.
3- Book via. a flight pass!

It's amazing how lazy people can get when it isn't their own money being spent....$1,200 for a round trip, 45 minute beechcraft flight over NL....Reminds me of people I know that USED to be allowed to buy Y/B fares on YEG-YYC flights....about $1,100 for a round trip (it is 250km, 45 mins or so on a dash 8)....Now, T+ at closer to $500.....
Old May 3, 2012, 4:51 am

Programs: NEXUS; *A Gold
Between this jerkoff and Bev Oda spending insane amounts of tax payers money on 'business' trips, its a wonder how anyone in Canada voted for the PC in the first place.

And will he be taken to task for it...of course not because its all AC's fault that he HAD to spend so much money.

What a joke!
Old May 3, 2012, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Agreed.
Anywhere within 4 hours driving distance, I have to drive.
NA domestic is always lowest fare (not that going to the US, I can't get UDU)
International I have flown in a mix of Y/J.
Originally Posted by nave888
It would probably save alot of people alot of money if companies/ the Govt' understood and actually used flight passes....

I have to say though, this man must book at the very last second, and most likely on latitude fares...makes sense that the fares would be steep! No competition, last minute fare, fully flexible ticket....

I think he sould do:

1- Book in advance if possible...could save some big $$$$
2- If he is indeed on Y/B fares, go T+....There aren't that many other flights per day, so if he did indeed need the flexibility to change, the small fee would be far less than a lat fare.
3- Book via. a flight pass!

It's amazing how lazy people can get when it isn't their own money being spent....$1,200 for a round trip, 45 minute beechcraft flight over NL....Reminds me of people I know that USED to be allowed to buy Y/B fares on YEG-YYC flights....about $1,100 for a round trip (it is 250km, 45 mins or so on a dash 8)....Now, T+ at closer to $500.....
Old May 3, 2012, 9:40 am

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
Flipped through Hon O'Brien's latest expense report here:
http://www.exec.gov.nl.ca/exec/cabin...pdf/OBrien.pdf

Basic conclusion (comming from a guy who audit's executive expense reports as part of the Internal Audit jobs) is the assertion of 100k ministerial expenses blamed on AC is "Bozo Eruption". Expenses are overall inline with his duties (Minister for Municpal Affairs). O'Brien is in every town in NL on a monthly basis, most of the travel involves some automobile use (can't get ot Bay De Verde for a 1 hour meeting solely via airplane). Biggest expenses are getting to/from Labrador for a 1-2 hours meeting and presentation.

To reduce his travel expenses, the following would have to be accomplished:
- All NL municaplities would have to schedule their meetings with province around the ministers travel schedule. For example, the Town of Sunnyside would have to put in a request to meet with Minister and then await the next time his roadshow was passing through. Overall this is unlikely to happen and if it was attempted, the municipalities would rant to the local media.
- Alternately the minister outright meets with Municipalities on much less frequent basis (e.g. 1-2 times per year rather than 1 per month). Meetings with town in Labrador would have to cease.
- Municipalities start to pick up the tab for meetings with Provincial gov't (e.g. they travel to YYT rather than Minister come to them.
- Cease and desist the concept of putting interprovincial meetings in far away places (for economic development reasons). Meetings should be held in provincial capitals that are easy places to travel. So rather than putting an Atlantic Ministers meeting in Port Hawksbury,NS or Cornerbrook, NL; it should be in Halifax with the next meeting in St John's, and the following in Charlottetown.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.