Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lack of r is making me so mad

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2012, 9:23 am

Programs: AC-SE Hhonors-G IHG-P
I am doing PEK-YYZ on the 9th! there are 30 seats open(i know its not accurate,) but still R0 right before the 7day window! its very very frustrating!
Old May 2, 2012, 9:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
As an SE your chances to score an upgrade are pretty good. ^
I call this Upgrade Angst, we all get it.
The catch is that I don't even want to book if I'm not seeing R at T-7.

I want to go ANYWHERE TPAC or TATL for this weekend. I want positive R space for 2 at time of booking. That is a minimum of $3000 I'm not going to spend on AC.
Old May 2, 2012, 10:29 am

Programs: A3*G AC*nobody TK*nobody
Originally Posted by Dorian
The catch is that I don't even want to book if I'm not seeing R at T-7.

I want to go ANYWHERE TPAC or TATL for this weekend. I want positive R space for 2 at time of booking. That is a minimum of $3000 I'm not going to spend on AC.
Are you saying $3000 for 2 or just 1 person. I don't think flying Tango Plus TPAC (e.g. Asia) is possible under $2000/person. For for 2 of you, it is almost like $5000 you are not going to spend on AC...

But then there are still hundreds of customers on that flight, why would AC give a crap about just missing you two.

In translation, AC doesn't want us.
Old May 2, 2012, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by Away from YYZ
Are you saying $3000 for 2 or just 1 person. I don't think flying Tango Plus TPAC (e.g. Asia) is possible under $2000/person. For for 2 of you, it is almost like $5000 you are not going to spend on AC...

But then there are still hundreds of customers on that flight, why would AC give a crap about just missing you two.

In translation, AC doesn't want us.
You can do YVR NRT for (just) under $2k each in T+...lower if you use a 15% off. Regardless, my example was meant the absolute minimum rev they are missing out on...as if I'd said $5k no doubt someone would have said 'there is no way T+ is $5k you liar'.

Why would (should) they care? Well unless the flight is full the care level should be right around $4k in my YVR NRT example.
Old May 2, 2012, 11:13 am

Programs: UA MP
There's a flip side of the story. If you are an SE and buy a T+ ticket the last minute (say you don't even know you're traveling until T-1), you actually benefit from the current situation because J seats are not released until very late and your upgrade request will trump all Es and likely even a few SEs who bought a lower fare class T+ (simply because they bought the ticket earlier than you do and the lower T+ were still available).

It benefited me twice this year when I bought not very expensive T+ tickets (W and S) at T-1 and got upgraded.

That being said, I'm not happy at all with the lack of R at T-7. Overall it's a net loss for the top tier.
Old May 2, 2012, 12:31 pm

Programs: A3*G AC*nobody TK*nobody
You can do YVR NRT for (just) under $2k each in T+...lower if you use a 15% off. Regardless, my example was meant the absolute minimum rev they are missing out on...as if I'd said $5k no doubt someone would have said 'there is no way T+ is $5k you liar'.

Why would (should) they care? Well unless the flight is full the care level should be right around $4k in my YVR NRT example.
I'm from YYZ. True, for you in YVR is slightly cheaper...

As for the 15% off, depends on if it is during a sale or not.. if you know what I mean

Anyhow, just like you, I am not happy with AC/AP.
Old May 2, 2012, 12:51 pm

For an extra $700 I'll continue to fly to SE Asia on a united Z fare and no BS aerolotto or R0 at T-8. I like the United 747 business upper deck with plenty of room and storage and good help yourself snacks.

The management of R is BS and it drives me crazy time after time R9 then R0 at T-7. This SE 7 day benefit is a crock of poo.
Old May 2, 2012, 1:16 pm

Programs: CX GO, BA Gold, OZ*G, IHG Spire RA
Originally Posted by g46r
There's a flip side of the story. If you are an SE and buy a T+ ticket the last minute (say you don't even know you're traveling until T-1), you actually benefit from the current situation because J seats are not released until very late and your upgrade request will trump all Es and likely even a few SEs who bought a lower fare class T+ (simply because they bought the ticket earlier than you do and the lower T+ were still available).

It benefited me twice this year when I bought not very expensive T+ tickets (W and S) at T-1 and got upgraded.

That being said, I'm not happy at all with the lack of R at T-7. Overall it's a net loss for the top tier.
This worked for me too recently where I bought a T+ YVR>HKG ticket at just past T-4. Had we had the old policy I would have booked paid J so AC actually lost out on this one. I knew the UG wasn't guaranteed when I purchased but it was J9C9D9Z9 with over 20 unassigned seats. Got the UG confirmed just past 24hrs from purchase.

These cases are the exception though and the new R Games are pretty lame for SE compared to how it used to be.
Old May 2, 2012, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Sure, that is fine...BUT they are missing out on $2000-5000 revenue from me monthly due to R being zeroed. This is a fact.
How open is the J cabin on the flights you want? Yes, it is foolish of AC to shut down R inventory lke this but unless the J cabin is 3/4 full, you'll get the upgrade at the airport so why become so anxious over this? I've always gotten my upgrade at the gate if not at check-in in such situations. As an SE you're ahead of everyone else so don't sweat it.
Old May 2, 2012, 4:07 pm

Programs: AC*ACMM, Marriott*Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Away from YYZ
It is training to be patient, so one day when SE/E is no longer reachable, you will not feel so bad.

Beside that, UG T-7 doesn't even applies if SE buy Tango fare or unless willing to fork up over double the base fare.
My ticket is B fare, therefore I have over double the base fare. I wish AC will make it transparent and publish the UG rules.
Old May 2, 2012, 7:18 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Sure, that is fine...BUT they are missing out on $2000-5000 revenue from me monthly due to R being zeroed. This is a fact.
I'm not in the $2K to $5K per month range, but AC has definitely lost out on a lot of my spend this year, last year and the year before that. If I could buy Latitude on AC and upgrade I would. Instead I buy Z on another *A carrier and move on.

I am spending less and less with AC because I'm not interesting in playing The R Games.
Old May 2, 2012, 7:36 pm

I'm likely to be at 60,000 miles within a week or two. North American travel. My upcoming schedule shows that I'll likely hit SE in late August / early September.

So basically my loyalty to AC and their silliness with R at that point dies. (I do get excellent upgrade success in NA, and agree the big issue is TATL and TPAC.)

Here's the thing: the fall sched. has 3 potential trips TATL. All are R0. I've already started quoting the client other options. Given that one is Dubai, I'm likely to do Emirates and avoid Star / AC through Frankfurt. Other flights I'm routing through UA/CO.

So while yield management might think that their R=0 on all overseas flights is a good thing, it actually provides little incentive here.
Old May 2, 2012, 8:27 pm

Programs: AC-SEMM, AA-Gold
Just tried booking R with LAT fare

4 months out LHR-YYZ - no spece on two of the flights I selected
Old May 2, 2012, 8:39 pm

Programs: AP, HHonours Diamond
Originally Posted by Wings100
Just tried booking R with LAT fare

4 months out LHR-YYZ - no spece on two of the flights I selected
This one at least does make some sense due to the Olympics.
Old May 2, 2012, 8:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by payam81
This one at least does make some sense due to the Olympics.
YVR LHR is the only pair I can actually find R periodically available. Easter long weekend we did it last minute (T-3) as R was there, providing AC with an extra $3000.

That being said, with the current customs/border delays there...now avoiding like the plague (need to do YVR BEY soon, LHR is major transit point....but will now avoid).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.