Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Any negative consequences from not using the return portion of an Aeroplan ticket?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any negative consequences from not using the return portion of an Aeroplan ticket?

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2012, 7:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC *50K MM; WS Platinum; Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite

What happens if I get I get a return Aeroplan ticket but only use the outbound portion?

I will be getting two YYC-YVR tickets using the Amex Aeroplan Platinum card free partner ticket benefit, but apparently that only applies to return tickets. We don't need the return flights, can we just safely ignore them/throw them away? Should I get the return portion scheduled as far out into the future as I can? Appreciate insights.
Old May 1, 2012, 8:06 am

No consequence.

But if you foresee yourself ever flying that route in the future you might as well use it. Schedule the return for 1 year in advance and that gives you the option to use the return (change the flight) if you ever fly YVR-YYC.
Old May 1, 2012, 8:08 am

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by catgirl
What happens if I get I get a return Aeroplan ticket but only use the outbound portion?

I will be getting two YYC-YVR tickets using the Amex Aeroplan Platinum card free partner ticket benefit, but apparently that only applies to return tickets. We don't need the return flights, can we just safely ignore them/throw them away? Should I get the return portion scheduled as far out into the future as I can? Appreciate insights.
yes, push it out as late as possible around a long weekend and then you only have to buy a one way ticket to YVR to have a nice weekend away...

as to throwing away, yes, no downside - other than to perhaps tell them you have no intention of flying.
Old May 1, 2012, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Keeping in mind that there will be a change fee.
Old May 1, 2012, 8:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
Keeping in mind that there will be a change fee.
There is no change fee for no shows.
Old May 1, 2012, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Allvest
There is no change fee for no shows.
There is a change fee for changes made to the itinerary but no charges for no shows.

Last edited by djjaguar64; May 1, 2012 at 10:44 am
Old May 1, 2012, 8:34 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
There is a change fee for changes made to the itinerary.
No show isn't a change. And you can cancel the last portions at no charge leaving them open for a later change. If you don't use them the ticket just expires. C'mon!!!
Old May 1, 2012, 9:34 am
Suspended

Schedule the return far out, and you should be able to use the change fee to even change the destination (which is your original origin). So who knows, you may need a one way ticket again in the future, so might as well bank it.
Old May 1, 2012, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by Allvest
No show isn't a change. And you can cancel the last portions at no charge leaving them open for a later change. If you don't use them the ticket just expires. C'mon!!!
As per other FTers from before, a no show will invalidate the subsequent portions of the ticket
Old May 1, 2012, 1:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller
As per other FTers from before, a no show will invalidate the subsequent portions of the ticket
Yes it does. But it doesn't result in a change fee. Best to call and cancel for a later rebooking If so desired then.
Old May 1, 2012, 6:12 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
Originally Posted by catgirl
We don't need the return flights, can we just safely ignore them/throw them away?
I was once told by SuperElite Desk that too many no-shows could result being put on a no-fly list after questioning whether booking flights from SNA (Los Angeles) to YYC, via Newark, and just getting off in Newark (on a one-way ticket), could have adverse consequences . Was a great mileage run too for $160 all in but they got rid of it 2 years ago

Last edited by Tedgrrrr; May 1, 2012 at 6:13 pm Reason: .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.