Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada customer service needs to improve

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada customer service needs to improve

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2012, 10:16 am

I fly mostly UA/AC the past 3 years my general experiance has been

As far as check in staff, I find AC above average, UA well below in most airports. Exception is AC staff in YYC shuttle area ( the basement ) I think every crappy AC employee is shipped there, they hate humans

FA I give UA slight edge, but both are pretty good, it depends on where crew is based, some have more attuide probably union related.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz Presidents Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
The reason that Yqr UA flights have generally positive FAs is because these are SkyWest flights and their people seem to be above average in the service department. Apparently the ex-CO ground staff in the UA network are quite the treat
Old Apr 29, 2012, 10:40 am

You can really tell UA ground staff are "working to rule" , they need to address it
Old May 3, 2012, 1:08 am

not sure

Originally Posted by Quade111
I am the kind of passenger that tries hard to be considerate and appreciative all the time with air Canada staff. I never ever act entitled, and I say please and thank you and always wait my turn.

I am starting to ask myself why I bother trying hard to be civil. The service is constantly rude. The staff is frequently inpatient and unwilling To be helpful. The gate agents treat you with disdain, they are also too inconsistent with service and normally want to end any customer service discussion as quickly as possible by telling you they don't the answer to your request and then sigh and act exasperated.

I know their job is demanding but so is mine and everyone else's. There really is no excuse for the service to be this lousy so frequently. By the way, they aren't all bad. Really, I only experience grumpy impatient service with about half the people I deal with. That is way too high.

My recent experience occurred on a trip last week. My flight was late departing. I had a tight connection and was concerned that I would not make it. Once airborne I asked the attendant if they could check if I would still make my connection. Instead of being helpful she mocked me, waved my ticket in my face in a mocking way and lectured me about insured and uninsured connection times. I am not the type to get angry in public. Instead I told her that I didn't like the condescension. She mocked again by putting her hand on her heart and saying "I am so sorry" repeatedly. I waved her off. I am elite and was sitting in business class.

That's not all. On my return trip, my priority bag was left behind. The baggage guy took my address and did not look me in the eye or even say "we're sorry we misplaced your bag and for inconveniencing you". Seriously, I understand that some bags get sent on the wrong plane from time to time. I am happy to cut them some slack but couldn't they be polite and offer a sincere apology? Why not act like you care about my business?

I fly enough that I see plenty of pax act rude and entitled and short with ac staff. I always thought they were jerks but maybe they are people like me who just got fed up giving business to ac year after year and being treated like a nuisance.
Wow, when someone puts their hand on their heart and apologizes, as you said, repeatedly, to me seems pretty genuine.

Are you totally critical of people or just too self-serving to get it? You are very cynical in your post, sad.

Last edited by IamNOTYYZSD; May 3, 2012 at 1:13 am Reason: misqoute
Old May 3, 2012, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sp4294
Hey, but they were voted best airline in North America - didn't you know!?!
Unfortunately, there are too many similar stories, but you'll get little sympathy from some of the regulars here as they just LOVE their AC and will defend it to the death! Let's face it...most of us accept a lot of crappy customer service in all areas of life these days.
I agree with your observations.

On my last grocery trip,the cashier never once acknowledged that I was there. She was busy talking to the cashier behind her about some event they were headed to this week. She scanned ,I bagged and paid (almost 250.00) without her once having said hi or thank-you.

The Esso station had the auto pay at pump broken yesterday and I needed to pay inside. "pump number,insert AE card,insert CC card" was all she said,almost robo like . No interaction with customer,nothing but a blank face.

Subway for lunch yesterday. I had to tell them 4 times what I requested be added to my sandwich,there are always 5 items including cheese.No one said hi,no one said thank-you.All there was ,"would you like to make a meal of it?"

I had a presciption renewal the other day. I called the pharmacy to do so and it rang for 3 minutes.A young lady answered and I told her I wanted to have a prescription re-filled. She said just a moment. I was on hold for another 3 minutes,I hung up. I stopped at the pharmacy 3 hours later and asked for the re-fill. Staff were busy and I was told so . I left with impression I was doing them a favor in giving them my business. I know the owner and will be calling him on this concern.

I could go on and on...

I do not believe I am a difficult person . I am polite in my request(s) and am looking for a straigt answer.

As for AC staff,their service is generally better than not from my personal experience
Old May 4, 2012, 6:40 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by IamNOTYYZSD
Wow, when someone puts their hand on their heart and apologizes, as you said, repeatedly, to me seems pretty genuine.

Are you totally critical of people or just too self-serving to get it? You are very cynical in your post, sad.
It sounds disingenuous to me.
Old May 5, 2012, 1:38 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by acysb87
I had a presciption renewal the other day. I called the pharmacy to do so and it rang for 3 minutes.A young lady answered and I told her I wanted to have a prescription re-filled. She said just a moment. I was on hold for another 3 minutes,I hung up. I stopped at the pharmacy 3 hours later and asked for the re-fill. Staff were busy and I was told so . I left with impression I was doing them a favor in giving them my business. I know the owner and will be calling him on this concern.
I would switch pharmacies if treated like that. I go to a tiny pharmacy, near my house, get greeted by name and am made to feel as if I have some value to the pharmacy. It is one of the few places where the actually give you advice, and not just a canned speech type of thing. They charge the same (or less actually) as the big "we don't care who the heck you are" type stores.
Old May 5, 2012, 3:42 pm

Programs: AC E, DELTA S, *wood G, Hilton Diamond
AC needs work

I travel using a small (13kg) mobility scooter. It weighs less than half the weight allowance for a suitcase. While all the US airlines seem to handle my scooter smoothly and efficiently AC makes a mountain out of it with each trip.
AT LHR this weekend I had a tight connection from BMI on a seperate ticket. Couldn't print an AC boarding pass because once you have 'wheelchair comments' you can't see your reservation online nor print a boarding pass. We arrived through 'Connections' to Gate 40 with about 35 minutes before sched departure. My friend got on the flight but I was offloaded because of the WHCR comments on my reservation. There were still about 40 people showing ID to get in the boarding area but they wouldn't put me back on the plane. Again my scooter weighs less than half a suitcase allowance but no one could figure out how to load it so I could travel home with my companion.

I had talked to the Super Elite CSR on the phone prior to the BMI flight and was told to go to 'any airline, BA or BMI' and they would print my AC boarding pass. NOT. We had called the concierge (my friend is SE) and told her no bags, 14kg scooter, no problems we'll be there but when we got to the gate she said basically 'can't do it' and specifically, sarcastically, 'I'm sorry you were late for your flight'.

There was a simple way to get me on the flight but no one took the initiative to find it.
A call to the med desk the next to see if there was a way to get online check-in next time was a waste of time as I was told 'there are rules you know'.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: aeroplan
Originally Posted by IamNOTYYZSD

She was being sarcastic in case you couldn't tell. She was very unprofessional and deserves criticism.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 8:55 am

She was being sarcastic in case you couldn't tell. She was very unprofessional and deserves criticism.
Then go to the contact us page on the AC website and let them know. Whenever I get excellent service or really out of my way to ruin your day service I let them know.

I would say my flights (factoring in all levels of service, check in, lounge, gate agent and in flight service) would qualify as follows:

Excellent <5% (Out of the way service)
Normal 55% (Every day flight)
Below average 25% (Mostly due to late flights)
Horrible <5% (Out to get you service)

I fly about 100 flights a year, so usualy fill in the comments card 10 times a year.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 9:19 am

Programs: A3*G AC*nobody TK*nobody
My recent experience occurred on a trip last week. My flight was late departing. I had a tight connection and was concerned that I would not make it. Once airborne I asked the attendant if they could check if I would still make my connection. Instead of being helpful she mocked me, waved my ticket in my face in a mocking way and lectured me about insured and uninsured connection times. I am not the type to get angry in public. Instead I told her that I didn't like the condescension. She mocked again by putting her hand on her heart and saying "I am so sorry" repeatedly. I waved her off. I am elite and was sitting in business class.

That's not all. On my return trip, my priority bag was left behind. The baggage guy took my address and did not look me in the eye or even say "we're sorry we misplaced your bag and for inconveniencing you". Seriously, I understand that some bags get sent on the wrong plane from time to time. I am happy to cut them some slack but couldn't they be polite and offer a sincere apology? Why not act like you care about my business?
Don't you wish someone took a video of that FA and posted it on Youtube? Whiskey-Tango-Foxtrot! I guess these are the moment make one's think why am I still being a Mr. nice guy...

And remember... "We are not happy until you are not happy"

Added: BTW the video can be use as education material

Last edited by Away from YYZ; Jun 7, 2012 at 9:29 am
Old Jun 7, 2012, 9:57 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller
hate to say, isnt this sorta the typical North American commercial aviation industry attitude?
Not on Westjet & Skywest.

Hmm... Maybe the secret is to have 'west' in your name.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 10:54 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Air Canada 50K, United Silver, Accor Platinum, Others on Rotation
In most AC customer service documentation they guarantee
"consistent and quality customer-handling" (or a variation on those words).
They never say what level of quality. Assuming the level is poor - well they are meeting all their goals!

In all seriousness my personal experience is about 50-50 for Air Canada flights with 50% going well with excellent staff and the others having a problem.

With AC I have noticed that crews based out of certain cities are more likely to be exemplary. Equally, I've noticed that crews based out of others are more likely to be a disaster. I won't say which.

My experience with UA is that the crews are about the same as AC. The UA ground crew are another story. The only competent UA ground agent I've encountered in the last 12 months was at LIR (Costa Rica) of all places. Their transition to their new software with the merger seems to have been a disaster.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 11:10 am

Programs: AC SE; SPG Plat, Fairmont Plat
I have flown over 70,000 miles with Air Canada this year, and 100k last year (counting BIS AC miles only) so have had ample opportunity to experience the good and bad. I have to agree with the OP. I have had well over 50% of my crews behave rudely to me without any cause this last year. This is a tremendous increase over previous years level of discourtesy. For what it is worth, I am excruciatingly polite and nice with them, and have never once argued with a crew member, as I have always believed that that kind of confrontational approach never works.
I'm very disappointed overall with my interactions with AC staff, and have now taken to booking other star alliance carriers for my travel when possible while requalifying for SE, and any other carrier after I requalify. LX and Cathay have done well this year as a consequence of this change as all my over the ocean travel is paid J.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 11:40 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by YULforever
I have had well over 50% of my crews behave rudely to me without any cause this last year. This is a tremendous increase over previous years level of discourtesy.
What am I doing wrong? Close to my SE requal so far this year, several long hauls, and the staff have been uniformly excellent. Both Y and J. Only exception was not rudeness but disorganization.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.