Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada customer service needs to improve

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2012, 8:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: aeroplan

I am the kind of passenger that tries hard to be considerate and appreciative all the time with air Canada staff. I never ever act entitled, and I say please and thank you and always wait my turn.

I am starting to ask myself why I bother trying hard to be civil. The service is constantly rude. The staff is frequently inpatient and unwilling To be helpful. The gate agents treat you with disdain, they are also too inconsistent with service and normally want to end any customer service discussion as quickly as possible by telling you they don't the answer to your request and then sigh and act exasperated.

I know their job is demanding but so is mine and everyone else's. There really is no excuse for the service to be this lousy so frequently. By the way, they aren't all bad. Really, I only experience grumpy impatient service with about half the people I deal with. That is way too high.

My recent experience occurred on a trip last week. My flight was late departing. I had a tight connection and was concerned that I would not make it. Once airborne I asked the attendant if they could check if I would still make my connection. Instead of being helpful she mocked me, waved my ticket in my face in a mocking way and lectured me about insured and uninsured connection times. I am not the type to get angry in public. Instead I told her that I didn't like the condescension. She mocked again by putting her hand on her heart and saying "I am so sorry" repeatedly. I waved her off. I am elite and was sitting in business class.

That's not all. On my return trip, my priority bag was left behind. The baggage guy took my address and did not look me in the eye or even say "we're sorry we misplaced your bag and for inconveniencing you". Seriously, I understand that some bags get sent on the wrong plane from time to time. I am happy to cut them some slack but couldn't they be polite and offer a sincere apology? Why not act like you care about my business?

I fly enough that I see plenty of pax act rude and entitled and short with ac staff. I always thought they were jerks but maybe they are people like me who just got fed up giving business to ac year after year and being treated like a nuisance.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 9:23 pm

Hey, but they were voted best airline in North America - didn't you know!?!
Unfortunately, there are too many similar stories, but you'll get little sympathy from some of the regulars here as they just LOVE their AC and will defend it to the death! Let's face it...most of us accept a lot of crappy customer service in all areas of life these days.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 9:33 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Saying AC customer service needs to improve is like saying the Pope needs to be Catholic.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 9:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sp4294
Hey, but they were voted best airline in North America - didn't you know!?!
Unfortunately, there are too many similar stories, but you'll get little sympathy from some of the regulars here as they just LOVE their AC and will defend it to the death! Let's face it...most of us accept a lot of crappy customer service in all areas of life these days.
I don't have high expectations. All i want is professional courtesy.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 9:50 pm

Programs: AP, HHonours Diamond
Originally Posted by Quade111
I don't have high expectations. All i want is professional courtesy.
And you are fully entitled to it!

Unfortunately some AC staff seem to think they are doing everyone some sort of a favor by doing their job, not realizing this is the line of work THEY chose with the attached hazards and benefits. They seem to think being lableed some sort of "essential service" elevates them to the role of "public service" in some manner.

Alas, I'm sure you've also run in to some good AC folks out there; I know I have, even if they're joining the 'rare earth material' club.. So focus your anger at the root of the problem which is AC management more than any other entity in the system.

If management is doing their job right you should never have to deal with disgruntled, rude employees at all.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 9:56 pm

hate to say, isnt this sorta the typical North American commercial aviation industry attitude?

Sure there are many that are willing to go beyond their duties to help others but far too often they are clouded by others that has a lack of interest in helping
Old Apr 28, 2012, 10:00 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
For airlines in N.A., I consistently have better experiences with AC than UA and US which are the other 2 I fly on a regular basis.

But the experience with AC is far from perfect - e.g. the lounge agent last week that had her headphones on while scanning through my card!

What the FA did to you is unacceptable. If I get poor service I just shrug it off but if someone goes out of their way to be rude or mock me, that's another thing. I would have asked for the Service Director and spoken with them, and also filed an official complaint with AC with the FA's name.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller
hate to say, isnt this sorta the typical North American commercial aviation industry attitude?
This is what I used to think, but I'm not so sure. I've been flying mostly UA of late as UA has a good sched out of YQR that serves me well when I head to the US west coast, which is where I go mostly these days. In 16 segments this year on UA/UAX I've not had a single poor in flight service experience, more the opposite in fact. Friendly FAs who are happy to exchange pleasantries, etc. On the ground, I've had two unpleasant exchanges and both were with the same person at the same station (different weeks), and the others (check in and boarding) have been quite exceptional: smiles, thank yous, etc. It's not really the UA I've been hearing about, but I'll take it.

I did a 5 segment AC/ACX set of flights this past weekend and, to be fair, all the ACX segments were good with nice service (ACX or UA served as ground staff), but the sole AC segment (YVR-YYC) was pretty poor: disorganized boarding process causing a delayed departure (the captain came on and told us we were delayed due to slow boarding), indifferent on board service, and no one at all at the aircraft door as we deplaned, unless you count the in charge sitting in row one with her head down filling out paperwork. That's only one segment, but honestly it didn't inspire me with confidence. It reminded me of the AC of 5-10 years ago. I had the impression that things were improving in recent years, but I wonder if maybe AC is sliding again. I don't really care who's to blame, but think the whole company from top to bottom needs to get real and sort itself out.

I don't regret for a moment not going after E last year, which I missed by not that much. I'm basically flying without any status now as I'm crediting to UA and frankly the other side isn't nearly as horrible as I imagined it to be... If I flew more than 30-40 segments a year maybe I'd think differently, but I enjoy having choice and exercising it, and I haven't missed lounge access or priority boarding, the two things I enjoyed the most about status.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 11:38 pm

Programs: E50K
I am not about to defend AC to the death; I am plenty annoyed by the Tango/ Tango+ gap on TPAC, but that is quite another issue.

When it comes to complaints about customer service, though, I think perspective is needed. Let's be fair. I have been treated badly on AC flights, and occasionally on the ground. But those bad experiences are vastly outnumbered by the good ones, when staff were friendly, helpful, and went above and beyond what they had to do.

True, some AC employees need to be retrained or retired. But in my experience, it's nowhere near half. And beyond that, every business has its share of weak employees, ones who drive customers away.

If an employee mocks you, you should protest to the people in authority. If half of the people at AC are treating you badly, take your business elsewhere. As has already been said, focus your anger on management.

From time to time, I've kept track of my good/bad encounters on AC. Usually after a bad experience, when I'm convinced they are all out to get me, I keep a tally in my head. It works out that for every jerk employee, there are at least a dozen good ones. I'm sure Westjet and United and all the rest have ratios that are similar.

Again, I am not an apologist for AC. (At times I've sworn that I would never fly them again, and because of the Tango nonsense, my next TPAC booking will be on United.)

I just don't think we should paint all AC employees with the same brush. There are plenty of good ones out there, people doing the best they can under less-than-ideal circumstances.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 11:53 pm

I will be the FIRST to be dancing at their Bankruptcy party.
This can only go on for so long.
Disgusting the way you were treated.

Originally Posted by Quade111
I am the kind of passenger that tries hard to be considerate and appreciative all the time with air Canada staff. I never ever act entitled, and I say please and thank you and always wait my turn.

I am starting to ask myself why I bother trying hard to be civil. The service is constantly rude. The staff is frequently inpatient and unwilling To be helpful. The gate agents treat you with disdain, they are also too inconsistent with service and normally want to end any customer service discussion as quickly as possible by telling you they don't the answer to your request and then sigh and act exasperated.

I know their job is demanding but so is mine and everyone else's. There really is no excuse for the service to be this lousy so frequently. By the way, they aren't all bad. Really, I only experience grumpy impatient service with about half the people I deal with. That is way too high.

My recent experience occurred on a trip last week. My flight was late departing. I had a tight connection and was concerned that I would not make it. Once airborne I asked the attendant if they could check if I would still make my connection. Instead of being helpful she mocked me, waved my ticket in my face in a mocking way and lectured me about insured and uninsured connection times. I am not the type to get angry in public. Instead I told her that I didn't like the condescension. She mocked again by putting her hand on her heart and saying "I am so sorry" repeatedly. I waved her off. I am elite and was sitting in business class.

That's not all. On my return trip, my priority bag was left behind. The baggage guy took my address and did not look me in the eye or even say "we're sorry we misplaced your bag and for inconveniencing you". Seriously, I understand that some bags get sent on the wrong plane from time to time. I am happy to cut them some slack but couldn't they be polite and offer a sincere apology? Why not act like you care about my business?

I fly enough that I see plenty of pax act rude and entitled and short with ac staff. I always thought they were jerks but maybe they are people like me who just got fed up giving business to ac year after year and being treated like a nuisance.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 5:47 am

Programs: AC, SPG, HH +others
Some comic relief from a hilarious web site

http://www.despair.com/viewall.html

Old Apr 29, 2012, 7:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DaveObee

I just don't think we should paint all AC employees with the same brush. There are plenty of good ones out there, people doing the best they can under less-than-ideal circumstances.
I am not painting all ac employees with the same brush. Only about 50 pct. Even if it was 10 pct it is too high. I always treat them with great deal of respect and I wonder why I get treated poorly so often.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 7:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yvr76
What the FA did to you is unacceptable. If I get poor service I just shrug it off but if someone goes out of their way to be rude or mock me, that's another thing. I would have asked for the Service Director and spoken with them, and also filed an official complaint with AC with the FA's name.
It WAS the service director who treated me this way.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 7:43 am

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Unfortunately we only hear of the negative issues at AC and they are a lot of them. I have shared many positive experiences but the negative experiences are many and the attitude at AC is poor. It’s almost like banking in the old days when the staff think they are doing you the favour where today when you walk through the doors of a business, you are doing them the favour.

I too have been treated as you were, but I do push back, I look at their name tag and start using their name and asking them why they are acting this way. I ask if they need help or if there is something I can do for them!

I think we all know that in time the market will decide Air Canada’s faith, but many of us here are guilty as we allow this to continue with our financial support of Air Canada.

wow, I was nice and mean all in the same thread
Old Apr 29, 2012, 8:39 am

From both personal experience and what I have read, service on United and US Airways varies...... Similarly that is the same with AC (sometimes its great and sometimes its bland/rude).

Originally Posted by arf04
This is what I used to think, but I'm not so sure. I've been flying mostly UA of late as UA has a good sched out of YQR that serves me well when I head to the US west coast, which is where I go mostly these days. In 16 segments this year on UA/UAX I've not had a single poor in flight service experience, more the opposite in fact. Friendly FAs who are happy to exchange pleasantries, etc. On the ground, I've had two unpleasant exchanges and both were with the same person at the same station (different weeks), and the others (check in and boarding) have been quite exceptional: smiles, thank yous, etc. It's not really the UA I've been hearing about, but I'll take it.

I did a 5 segment AC/ACX set of flights this past weekend and, to be fair, all the ACX segments were good with nice service (ACX or UA served as ground staff), but the sole AC segment (YVR-YYC) was pretty poor: disorganized boarding process causing a delayed departure (the captain came on and told us we were delayed due to slow boarding), indifferent on board service, and no one at all at the aircraft door as we deplaned, unless you count the in charge sitting in row one with her head down filling out paperwork. That's only one segment, but honestly it didn't inspire me with confidence. It reminded me of the AC of 5-10 years ago. I had the impression that things were improving in recent years, but I wonder if maybe AC is sliding again. I don't really care who's to blame, but think the whole company from top to bottom needs to get real and sort itself out.

I don't regret for a moment not going after E last year, which I missed by not that much. I'm basically flying without any status now as I'm crediting to UA and frankly the other side isn't nearly as horrible as I imagined it to be... If I flew more than 30-40 segments a year maybe I'd think differently, but I enjoy having choice and exercising it, and I haven't missed lounge access or priority boarding, the two things I enjoyed the most about status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.