Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Advice: Confirmed E-Upgrade rescinded on-board aircraft

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advice: Confirmed E-Upgrade rescinded on-board aircraft

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2012, 8:22 am

Programs: AC, US, AA, UA, BA, QF, DL...
Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
It's a tough gig to live in Miami, get to Toronto to fly a plane and get to Zurich.
Does AC have a crew base in Miami? If not, then it seems to me that it's completely the pilot's fault. In what other industry would you be allowed to commute 1200 miles to the office on the company's dime? If your job is in Toronto, you should be in (or near) Toronto, not living in another country.

What's more, if this pilot really does live in Miami and flies 767s, it implies he's been doing this commute on a regular basis. That means he's been putting the safety of passengers and crew at risk on an ongoing basis.

Has it been established that he actually lives in Miami, or was he just coming back from a vacation/trip?
Old Apr 19, 2012, 9:44 am

Programs: UA 1K, AZ Exec, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by Arcanum
Does AC have a crew base in Miami? If not, then it seems to me that it's completely the pilot's fault. In what other industry would you be allowed to commute 1200 miles to the office on the company's dime? If your job is in Toronto, you should be in (or near) Toronto, not living in another country.
A lot of Asian carriers have pilots on commuting contracts flying from North America to Asia to work, so MIA-YYZ isn't really abnormal in the industry.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 11:28 am

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
It's not good business to have employees bumping regular customers out of business seats.

It alienates the customer base in my opinion.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by fromYYZ_flyer
I'd say lifetime SE would be more like it! ^
ya, that's more like it but I still appreciate that AC recognizes the lifesaving efforts.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 5:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC: E75K, Marriott :Titanium, National: EXEC ELITE
So just as an update, I contacted AC Top Tier about this issue. They politely advised that the situation had been handled correctly, and despite the fact that the upgrade was rescinded onboard the aircraft, I was not entitled to any refund of credits as my upgrade from YYZ to YYC was honored.

I'm not totally thrilled, but I understand the policy. In the end, I guess it's only the revoking a confirmed upgrade that bothers me a bit.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 6:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AZ Exec, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by VoodooYYC
I'm not totally thrilled, but I understand the policy. In the end, I guess it's only the revoking a confirmed upgrade that bothers me a bit.
I think it would have been nice if they at least tossed a few miles or a % discount code your way for your troubles, even if they didn't give you some eUpgrade credits back. It sucks to have your upgrade taken away on-board (not even at the gate...) and have to trudge back to Y, regardless of whether the reason is legitimate or not.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 9:09 pm

Programs: Maker's Mark Ambassador
Has it been established that he actually lives in Miami, or was he just coming back from a vacation/trip?
I think quite a few senior AC/Jazz crew (pilots and F/As) live in the Southern US and fly to work using their passes.

I used to be a regular on the mid-day DFW-YYZ in the front cabin. From time to time, I'd see more crew than passengers in the seats.

The most surreal experience was the chatty F/A taking up two seats to write her Christmas cards on her commute from DFW to report for a YYZ-IAH trip.

Last edited by bluegrinch; Apr 23, 2012 at 9:30 pm
Old Apr 24, 2012, 3:35 am
Original Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.448 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

So just as an update, I contacted AC Top Tier about this issue. They politely advised that the situation had been handled correctly, and despite the fact that the upgrade was rescinded onboard the aircraft, I was not entitled to any refund of credits as my upgrade from YYZ to YYC was honored.

Good ol' Air Canada. The never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 3:40 am

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Originally Posted by KenHamer
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.448 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Good ol' Air Canada. The never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity.
+1

Don't know about the OP. But if AC gave me a refund of some upgrade credits, I would have booked an extra trip with them just to be able to spend the credits.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 3:57 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by rehoult
Yes. The contract says deadheading pilot = always J, if the plane has it. They rank #2 in priority for a J seat, above all J pax (paid, upgrades and other staff) but below sky marshals, and have the right to bump anyone below them.
They have the right. But if they gave a crap about the survival of their airline maybe they'd think twice about enforcing their right like this, bumping an already-seated pax out of a "confirmed" J seat. Cripes.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 4:09 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by KenHamer
[SIZE=1]Good ol' Air Canada. The never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity.
And they've moulded their captains in their own image.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 8:26 am

Programs: AC E75K *G
...but let's not dump on this individual without knowing the whole story.
I believe dumping on individuals without knowing the whole story is actually part of Flyertalk's mission statement, so I'm afraid we cannot stop this practice.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 8:40 am

In the end, I guess it's only the revoking a confirmed upgrade that bothers me a bit.
I thought that AC changed its Denied Boarding Compensation policy a few years ago if one is holding a confirmed upgrade but involuntarily bumped to economy would be entitled to compensation. Has AC quietly changed this policy recently?

It really makes one mad when buying Latitude fare for the sole purpose of comfirming an upgrade without having to play aerolotto, ended up seating in economy at several times more expensive than Tango Plus when one does not really need the flexibility and refundability of Latitude.

In OP's type of last minute downgrade situation, will a SE on a Tango Plus fare have priority over a P on Latitude fare who confirmed the upgrade weeks or months in advance?
Old Apr 24, 2012, 3:45 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K; Marriott Titanium; NEXUS
Seems there is something wrong here unless AC has changed its policy. Ran across a similar thread from several years ago where it was confirmed by AC that this couldn't happen.

See post #81 of this thread... http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...t-class-2.html

Last edited by YQMer; Apr 24, 2012 at 3:51 pm Reason: added post and reference
Old Apr 24, 2012, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM

I find this response from ACTT unacceptable. They did unfortunately handle the situation "correctly" as is required by their pilot contract. What IMHO has been handled incorrectly is the downgrade of a seated passenger from a confirmed upgrade to Y with zip compensation.

If I were you, I'd escalate up the management ladder.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.