Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Advice: Confirmed E-Upgrade rescinded on-board aircraft

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advice: Confirmed E-Upgrade rescinded on-board aircraft

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2012, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by I_Can_Fly_US_Airways
With all the faults that both United and US Airways have, they still would never bump a passenger in F back to J (C) for a pilot when there is an open seat in economy. I mean it would never happen!
It all depends on the wording of their contract with the pilots. In AC's case the union has specifically negotiated the right for their members to piss off the paying customer.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 8:47 am

Programs: AC, US, AA, UA, BA, QF, DL...
Nice post

OP,

It's so refreshing (and increasingly rare) to see such a polite, rational post about an unfortunate situation on AC. What a change from the usual "there was no olive in my martini so I demand a free J ticket to SYD" rants.

Thank you!
Old Apr 18, 2012, 9:52 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by yscleo
Was wondering what the heck "deadheading" pilot means.
It means he is flying somewhere to go to work. To pick places at random for the purposes of inventing an example, suppose a pilot lives in YYC. He is rostered to fly a YYZ-LHR flight, so he would catch a flight YYC-YYZ as a deadhead flight ( i.e. as a passenger) and then pilot the YYZ-LHR flight.

The term is used in the rail industry as well, both for crews and equipment. I've seen cases where the location/number of crews is imbalanced relative to the number of trains needing to go a particular direction. For example a Revelstoke, BC based crew would be called to run a train from Field to Revelostoke. They would have a taxi take them from Revelstoke to Field ( the deadhead trip) and then bring the train from Field to Revelstoke.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 10:06 am

Programs: UA 1K, AZ Exec, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by I_Can_Fly_US_Airways
With all the faults that both United and US Airways have, they still would never bump a passenger in F back to J (C) for a pilot when there is an open seat in economy. I mean it would never happen!
I don't even understand how this is a fault on the part of AC. It totally sucks that regular passengers have to get their upgrade taken away because a pilot needs the seat, but you have to remember that DH pilots are going to work. Now I may be crazy, but even from a purely safety standpoint, I would want my flight's captain (who is legally responsible for the flight) to be well-rested and comfortable for the flight they're going to operate.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 10:21 am

Programs: BA Exec Silver, Aeroplan, Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by Jagboi
It means he is flying somewhere to go to work. To pick places at random for the purposes of inventing an example, suppose a pilot lives in YYC. He is rostered to fly a YYZ-LHR flight, so he would catch a flight YYC-YYZ as a deadhead flight ( i.e. as a passenger) and then pilot the YYZ-LHR flight.

The term is used in the rail industry as well, both for crews and equipment. I've seen cases where the location/number of crews is imbalanced relative to the number of trains needing to go a particular direction. For example a Revelstoke, BC based crew would be called to run a train from Field to Revelostoke. They would have a taxi take them from Revelstoke to Field ( the deadhead trip) and then bring the train from Field to Revelstoke.
The situation described in the first paragraph does not count as deadheading unless the pilot's home base was YYC. If a pilot lives in a city other than his home base, she or he must use personal travel passes to get to the base airport. This would be standby only. At least that is what is done for FAs.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 5:05 pm
Suspended

Smile

Originally Posted by Santander
I don't even understand how this is a fault on the part of AC. It totally sucks that regular passengers have to get their upgrade taken away because a pilot needs the seat, but you have to remember that DH pilots are going to work. Now I may be crazy, but even from a purely safety standpoint, I would want my flight's captain (who is legally responsible for the flight) to be well-rested and comfortable for the flight they're going to operate.
Yea but he would be piloting another flight. So why do I care?
Old Apr 18, 2012, 6:40 pm

Maybe this dude was the pilot who kicked you out:

"The captain then performed a 6.5hour commute from Florida to Toronto via aircraft. The captain obtained approximately 90 minutes of prone rest in the flight operations pilot rest facility before reporting for duty feeling well rested. This facility is a quiet room equipped with beds to permit prone rest."

(The 767 to Zurich that failed)

http://www.tsb.gc.ca/eng/rapports-re...2/a11f0012.asp

Give up your seat. These pilot dudes who commute to get to their job need their sleep! It's a tough gig to live in Miami, get to Toronto to fly a plane and get to Zurich. Just kick the PAX out to make it work.

Oh, wait, are these the folks who have labor issues and are calling in sick? Oops.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Allvest
Yea but he would be piloting another flight. So why do I care?
But then would you appreciate your pilot sitting in Y before taking charge of your flight?
Old Apr 18, 2012, 7:16 pm

Programs: AC*E50k, AvisFirst, HHonors Diamond
I understand the pilots negotiating J seats for work purposes...it's the same rationale for me when I pay for J (transoceanic) or use e-upgrades (transborder over 3 hours).

But, let's be a little realistic here....YOWYYZ? Really? Would I piss off a pax for a ~60 minute flight? If I were the pilot and I were told that a confirmed pax would be denied what they were promised, I think I would take it on the chin for an hour.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 7:20 pm
ucc

Originally Posted by Jagboi

Do UA/US planes crash more often than AC's?
Old Apr 18, 2012, 7:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Stranger
But then would you appreciate your pilot sitting in Y before taking charge of your flight?
I have no control over what pilots do before my flights. Then there are two of them anyways. I only know what I booked and what I upgraded. I wouldn't find it appropriate to be re-seated to y once on board. Now, if AC had a blanket policy to fill J seats with SEs from the back maybe I would be more flexible too.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 9:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AZ Exec, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by beef
But, let's be a little realistic here....YOWYYZ? Really? Would I piss off a pax for a ~60 minute flight?
Originally Posted by Allvest
I wouldn't find it appropriate to be re-seated to y once on board.
Both good points, the way in which this occurred (downgrading passenger on-board instead of at check-in or at the boarding gate) wasn't a good way for it to happen. I'd be perfectly fine with giving up my seat in C on a YOW-YYZ flight if it was at the gate but it sort of leaves a bad taste in your mouth to have to take the "walk of shame" back to Y. The fact that it's a one-hour flight sort of makes it worse but that could open up a whole new can of worms if captains start to make exceptions for short flights, i.e. where does it stop?
Old Apr 19, 2012, 2:09 am

Programs: AC*SE, AC*MM, SPG Gold, FPC Plat, HHonors Diamond, PC Plat Elite, R&C Club 5C, Hyatt GP
Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
The captain obtained approximately 90 minutes of prone rest in the flight operations pilot rest facility before reporting for duty feeling well rested. This facility is a quiet room equipped with beds to permit prone rest."
Clearly "prone rest" is a term of art here, but it's a particularly jarring one, since it actually describes almost the opposite of its (presumably) intended meaning.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 7:33 am

Ridiculous

So, a pilot invokes his contractual right to sit in a slightly wider seat for 45 minutes at the expense of pissing off a frequent traveller on the airline....the airline that pays his salary, irrespective of how much he is unsatisfied with his compensation.

Obviously he has zero respect for his firms clients, this shows a total lack of respect for both the employer and the client of that employer.

How does this conversation go? I imagine:

Gate Agent: "no captain there are no biz seats available but I could bump one of our good clients to sit you up front"
Captain: "Yes, please do that, Screw the client, I need that extra space for my huge ego"

Ridiculous.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 8:13 am

Programs: AC, US, AA, UA, BA, QF, DL...
Originally Posted by Dmanmtl
So, a pilot invokes his contractual right to sit in a slightly wider seat for 45 minutes at the expense of pissing off a frequent traveller on the airline....the airline that pays his salary, irrespective of how much he is unsatisfied with his compensation.

Obviously he has zero respect for his firms clients, this shows a total lack of respect for both the employer and the client of that employer.

How does this conversation go? I imagine:

Gate Agent: "no captain there are no biz seats available but I could bump one of our good clients to sit you up front"
Captain: "Yes, please do that, Screw the client, I need that extra space for my huge ego"

Ridiculous.
Yes, that would be ridiculous if that's what happened. You're assuming, however, that the pilot was (a) aware of the issue, and (b) pulled rank.

Flight ops may have called down and told the crew to do the reseat without the pilot ever knowing. He just showed up and took his seat.

Don't get me wrong, I'm as perennially disappointed in AC's customer service and unions as the next traveler, but let's not dump on this individual without knowing the whole story.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.