Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada vs Westjet vs Porter

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2012, 9:26 pm

Programs: Various airlines (BA Silver, AC), hotels (Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold) and credit card programs
This morning I have taken my first Westlet flight (YUL-YYC). I gave up going after status and miles and now care about the price/schedule/comfort. Our corp. policy is (lowest) economy anyway, so why bother and suffer from will they/will they not upgrade me anxiety.

The WJ flight was full, at least one half of pax were business people. The B737-700 had 4 very professional FAs, and I did not hear any stupid jokes. Actually overall I would rate them as slightly better Y experience than AC. I did not need anything priority, everyone found easily overhead bin space. Considering all that, why bother with AC T+ in Canada. I am returing to YUL on AC due to better schedule, nonstop flight in late afternoon and good price. They (corporate) somehow booked me in T+ but I could not be bothered anymore.

I have never tried Porter. Should I need to go to Toronto, I would look at them vs. AC to YTZ and also Via Rail.

For TATL, BA has good prices, great service on B777 and a choice of WT+ for those who want something slightly better than Y and cannot buy J. The tier points earned are interesting. BA ExecClub has a new (bronze) level that is easier to achieve and the timing does not necessarily have to be Jan to Dec. The BA website is very clear, transparent and user friendly.

And then, nobody has mentioned the concept of novelty. Familiarity breeds contempt and if one sticks for too long to one airline, insurance company, job, or even a partner, that is what happens - longing to try something different and new.

AC is still a very good airline. With all those (necessary) changes to tier benefits and (unnecessary) labour trouble, there is no reason to stay loyal only to them.
Old May 1, 2012, 6:14 am

Programs: Fairmont Platinum | AC Gate Lice Status | VIPorter
Exclamation

same-same-same!! All regionals to use Q400s:

WestJet chooses Bombardier Q400 for regional airline

Mr. Gregg Saretsky of WestJet reports

AIRLINE TO TAKE DELIVERY OF UP TO 45 NEW TURBOPROP AIRCRAFT OVER THE NEXT SIX YEARS

WestJet Airlines Ltd. has selected Bombardier Inc. to supply aircraft for its new regional airline, expected to launch in the second half of 2013. The airline will fly the Bombardier Q400 NextGen to new cities, existing destinations not currently connected by WestJet, and will allow for schedule improvements on certain routes where a smaller aircraft can efficiently provide greater frequency.

"We are very impressed with the Q400," commented Gregg Saretsky, WestJet's president and chief executive officer. "Both ATR and Bombardier put forward excellent proposals and ultimately we believe the Bombardier Q400's combination of range, speed and seat density is the best choice to meet the needs of the market and how we plan to operate the regional airline. We look forward to working with another great Canadian company."

"This is a very proud day for Bombardier," said Mike Arcamone, president, Bombardier commercial aircraft. "We are thrilled that WestJet has selected the Q400 NextGen aircraft for its fleet expansion requirements. The Q400 NextGen aircraft has long been recognized as the turboprop best suited to perform in the robust Canadian and U.S. landscape and environments. Our new-generation turboprop aircraft fits perfectly into this iconic Canadian airline's brand and we are pleased to welcome WestJetters and their guests to our Bombardier family."

WestJet has signed a letter of intent to purchase 20 Q400s with the option to purchase a further 25 aircraft. The airline expects to announce its initial regional schedule using the Q400s later in 2012.

We seek Safe Harbor.

2012 Canjex Publishing Ltd.
Old May 1, 2012, 6:28 am

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by Tangoer
...Q400 NextGen to new cities, existing destinations not currently connected by WestJet, and will allow for schedule improvements on certain routes where a smaller aircraft can efficiently provide greater frequency.
more 'barbie jet' options it seems- have they announced which routes are targeted?

updating Skype membership is in my very near future...
Old May 1, 2012, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by Tangoer
same-same-same!! All regionals to use Q400s:

WestJet chooses Bombardier Q400 for regional airline

I was worried for the future of BBD if they lost this order. I would imagine WS got an incredible deal.
Bombardier HAD to win this order . . .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.