Old Apr 12, 2012, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

Air Canada vs Westjet vs Porter

A well written, and fair IMO, blog comparing three of Canada's airlines:

http://ibackpackcanada.com/air-canad...ne-comparison/

Thought i would share
Old Apr 12, 2012, 4:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Thanks for sharing - but a bit off topic for this forum. I think I'll move this over to the AC forum for more discussion

Jenbel
Co-moderator, Communitybuzz!
Old Apr 12, 2012, 5:35 pm

Interesting and fairly honest evaluation of our three choices. I did fly WS last year YHM return to YWG and found the following reasons not to repeat the experience:
- while I was waiting, a YHM - YEG flight that a bunch of passengers were waiting for was cancelled (this was at 5 p.m.) and no choices were offered other than "come back tomorrow";
- the IFE screen was continually showing commercials if you didn't want to watch "entertainment";
- the seat / sound / IFE controls were on top of the armrest, exactly where your wrist lies (and bugged the heck outta me); and
- a heavy dose of Ma and Pa Kettle passenger content (okay, so I'm a snob but you don't get them on Porter or too much on AC).
Old Apr 12, 2012, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by hazcaddy
Interesting and fairly honest evaluation of our three choices. I did fly WS last year YHM return to YWG and found the following reasons not to repeat the experience:
- while I was waiting, a YHM - YEG flight that a bunch of passengers were waiting for was cancelled (this was at 5 p.m.) and no choices were offered other than "come back tomorrow";
- the IFE screen was continually showing commercials if you didn't want to watch "entertainment";
- the seat / sound / IFE controls were on top of the armrest, exactly where your wrist lies (and bugged the heck outta me); and
- a heavy dose of Ma and Pa Kettle passenger content (okay, so I'm a snob but you don't get them on Porter or too much on AC).
The Hamilton catchment area has many more "rural" communities compared to YYZ and YTZ. Although, I can't say I see too many bumpkin types on scheduled airline services. On the $300 vacation charters and the Greyhound (when I used to take it) is another story.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
So true!! The very few times Ive flown WJ there were plenty of pax who ranged from "inexperienced" (nothing wrong about that) to "extremely obnoxious and inexperienced, but pretending to know the ins-and-outs" I think I prefer the dozen gate lice who manage to board the plane in less than a minute.

Also, when regularly travelling for 24h I dont need FAs who constantly make silly jokes. A friendly, professional FA who provides good service is much more desirable IMO.

Other than that the article provided a fair comparison IMO. But funny, how ACs business class and top tier program (the main reason many pax book AC) werent mentioned.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 6:41 pm

Location: YYC; would like to return to living in SIN (or PER)
Programs: SQ KF, QFF
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
{snip}

Other than that the article provided a fair comparison IMO. But funny, how ACs business class and top tier program (the main reason many pax book AC) werent mentioned.
Well, to be fair, if the domain name of the website is anything to go on, they probably aren't flying J on a regular basis, or collecting enough miles to qualify for Top Tier.

TB-ES
Old Apr 12, 2012, 6:48 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
I'm really looking forward to trying Porter one of these days.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 8:10 pm

I find it actually takes longer to load an AC plane vs a WS plane. AC charges for the first bag on transborder, so everyone is trying to find room overhead, whereas it's free to check on WestJet leading to a quicker board.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by TheGreatestX
I find it actually takes longer to load an AC plane vs a WS plane. AC charges for the first bag on transborder, so everyone is trying to find room overhead, whereas it's free to check on WestJet leading to a quicker board.
I agree. There might also be other reasons, in my opinion:

-With no upgrades to clear at the gate, gate agents are ready their boarding procedure starts 30mins prior to sched departure almost like clockwork

-The heavy dose of kettle content (to borrow fromYYZ_flyer's phrase) also means that these pax travel heavy. Having checked-in their overpacked trunk/hockeybag, rollerboards as carryon aren't as prevalent, freeing up overhead bin space.

Back to the original topic, I do take issue with the following analogy:
I like to compare Air Canada as sort of like ordering a burger & fries. You know what youre getting every time. It might not be the best item on the menu, but its good enough.
In my experience, you DON'T know what your are getting every time: I've had my best domestic flight on AC... and also my worst (and by "flight" I include interaction with the ground staff pre-departure and post-arrival). On the other hand, flying WS is predictably bland, uninspiring... but predictable nonetheless.

I'm also a bit perplexed that the lack of meals in Y is used as a "con" against AC, but is absent in the WS section (where there aren't meals in Y).

They could have also added "widebodies on select domestic AC flights" to the list, which personally I find to be a huge "pro" in favour of AC.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 8:58 pm

Programs: AP, HHonours Diamond
How's Porter comparison to AC and WS 'fair'? QK, yes, but AC and WJ are much bigger airlines. I suspect if Porter were to grow as big, they wouldn't be so immune to the quirks and problems AC and WJ face.]

Anyway, can't expect much more given where/by whom this comparison is done.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 9:54 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
- a heavy dose of Ma and Pa Kettle passenger content
The kettle factor is definitely higher on WS.

The very few times Ive flown WJ there were plenty of pax who ranged from "inexperienced" (nothing wrong about that) to "extremely obnoxious and inexperienced,
Last month I boarded a WS flight and found myself beside a father and a ~3 year old kid. The kid did NOT want to leave his Mom, and put up a tantrum of the first order during and after boarding. I have never seen anything like it. After 30 minutes of non-stop kicking and SCREAMING, neither Pop nor the FAs could get the kid settled and belted. They finally opened the door and turfed them both. I must say that the FAs and the Captain handled it very professionally, though. In the end, they really had no choice but to offload.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 10:32 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon

Also, when regularly travelling for 24h I dont need FAs who constantly make silly jokes. A friendly, professional FA who provides good service is much more desirable IMO.
Interestingly on my last LHR flight it was the AC crew making stupid jokes. I know the announcements are for the entire plane, but I thought it really cheapened the J experience. I think it was the oldest AC crew I've ever seen too, and unfortunately the service wasn't great. One of the cabin crew was a cross between a bad drag queen and Spitting Image's puppet of Margaret Thatcher. I couldn't help snickering, it was a dead ringer, except she had bigger hair than the puppet.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Jagboi
Interestingly on my last LHR flight it was the AC crew making stupid jokes. I know the announcements are for the entire plane, but I thought it really cheapened the J experience. I think it was the oldest AC crew I've ever seen too, and unfortunately the service wasn't great. One of the cabin crew was a cross between a bad drag queen and Spitting Image's puppet of Margaret Thatcher. I couldn't help snickering, it was a dead ringer, except she had bigger hair than the puppet.

I dont think Ive met this particular FA yet.

Ive rarely encountered AC FAs making jokes over the PA, instead some AC seem to want to test my patience by making announcements in four - five languages (during my last FRA-YYZ flight the announcement was "we are proud to make all announcements in English, French, German, Spanish and Italian" and three different FAs came on each time to make the same announcement)
Old Apr 13, 2012, 8:52 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Having flown all three, I generally stick to AC - lounges, upgrades and rewards are definitely a part of it, but it's mostly because they go where I need to be and usually have the best schedule options.

Porter does offer very good service, but they don't go everywhere. And for me, living in the suburbs, getting to and from Billy Bishop airport is a major pain in the butt.

As for WS, I can handle the IFF "kettle factor" (love that term) but not the stupid jokes ("So let's get everyone strapped in so we can get this Boeing going" ... argh!!). That and the fact customer service consistently vaporizes with IRROPS (I can't "come back tomorow").
Old Apr 13, 2012, 9:02 am

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE

I dont think Ive met this particular FA yet.

Ive rarely encountered AC FAs making jokes over the PA, instead some AC seem to want to test my patience by making announcements in four - five languages (during my last FRA-YYZ flight the announcement was "we are proud to make all announcements in English, French, German, Spanish and Italian" and three different FAs came on each time to make the same announcement)

Yes what is this new fad where each F/A has to show off that they can speak more than two languages. I flew yesterday on Jazz YUL-YOW and he was a nice man, but four languages, really! Do they not know that this stops the IFE and most of us simply dont care! flying UA its one language, few interuptions.

I do want to try porter, they sound like a good company and I dont hear anything negative about them. They keep AC honest with lower fares so I do want to try them out!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.