Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Who buys "liquid oxygen drops" from the duty free shop?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who buys "liquid oxygen drops" from the duty free shop?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2012, 7:34 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by folkart
My rant for the day...
It has always bugged me when I see that ad.
Unfortunately, its also an indirect comment on the state of scientific literacy of our society. If there was better science education nobody would be able to sell this stuff.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 7:35 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
Newsflash - it's one of the top selling products.
I wouldn't want to advertise that fact - it kind of cheapens your brand to admit that your customer base is that gullible.

Of course, that AC profits off gullibility, and boast about it says something about AC as well.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 7:39 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE 100 IHG Plat Amb Nexus
Originally Posted by KenHamer
AND...

My empty bottles are also the perfect solution for Dyhydrogen Monoxide, a fiendish, dangerous, and pervasive compound found throughout the environment. If not handled correctly, it is extremely dangerous.

http://www.dhmo.org/facts.html

(Too illustrate just how pervasive this stuff, I'm almost certain there is a significant amount in that Liquid Oxygen stuff mentioned at the beginning of this thread. It's damn near impossible to eliminate.)
I'm for an immediate ban of DHMO, please help protect the children and make sure that Oxidane is banned too.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 7:42 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by KathrynInCanada
I wouldn't want to advertise that fact - it kind of cheapens your brand to admit that your customer base is that gullible.

Of course, that AC profits off gullibility, and boast about it says something about AC as well.
It also says something about AC passengers.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 8:09 pm

Programs: UA Gold - Hyatt Plat - Nexus
Internet grade snake oil fraud sold on AC duty free, how low can you go?
Old Mar 21, 2012, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
Newsflash - it's one of the top selling products.
WOW, that´s probably the most disturbing news I´ve heard today.

But sure, it makes perfect sense: Next time I´ll just order my usual bottle of red wine along with a bottle of oxygen which will take care of any possible negative side effects.

Thinking about it this could be a great strategy to make AC profitable:
1) Pilots and FAs promote this crap during their inflight announcements, I´m sure that would increase sales by several hundred percent; profit margin on this crap should be in the 100000% range (give or take a zero), so AC should just start selling their own brand
2) Pilots and FAs get 50% of the profits, leave AC alone and sign a contract to not engage in labour action for the coming 10 years
3) Pilots/FAs earn more, AC earns more and spends less at the same time - a win--win situation

It´s time I became a consultant and sold these ideas to AC.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 8:14 am

Not all "liquid oxygen" drops are created equal...

There are several ways that products called "liquid oxygen" can work. Some, as stated earlier, are nothing more than hydrogen peroxide based. Some use a chemical mixture that when ingested will form oxygen within the body. And others... the NEW technology... uses and electrical charge to bind oxygen molecules to minerals disolved in water so there is literally oxygen *suspended" in the solution.

The new technology that created activated stabilized oxygen makes a product that is as safe as saline and has normal pH. Additionally, products like OxygenSuperCharger have a 35% oxygen solution.

The following slideshow presentation explains these differences and what makes the new technology so exciting: http://oxygensupercharger.com/activa...explained.html
Old Mar 22, 2012, 8:56 am

Programs: A3*G AC*nobody TK*nobody
Thanks OP to bring this up... IIRC that crap has been on duty free catalog for a long time.. and I was always thinking if that stuff actually sells to remain on the catalog or just they want to clear out the stock...
Old Mar 22, 2012, 9:07 am

Programs: Presidential Airways High Value Target, Catfish Air Flare, Hootch Honors Gold
Originally Posted by KenHamer
That's why invincible stupidity is actually invincible.

(Well, that, and accupuncture.)
I don't use acupuncture, but there is medical evidence it can help. Not likely because of chi and such, but because it can stimulate the release of certain chemicals in your body. It's offered as a treatment by the Mayo Clinic, and q number of other big name hospitals.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/acupuncture/

Regards,
-Bouncer-
Old Mar 22, 2012, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
WOW, that´s probably the most disturbing news I´ve heard today.

But sure, it makes perfect sense: Next time I´ll just order my usual bottle of red wine along with a bottle of oxygen which will take care of any possible negative side effects.

Thinking about it this could be a great strategy to make AC profitable:
1) Pilots and FAs promote this crap during their inflight announcements, I´m sure that would increase sales by several hundred percent; profit margin on this crap should be in the 100000% range (give or take a zero), so AC should just start selling their own brand
2) Pilots and FAs get 50% of the profits, leave AC alone and sign a contract to not engage in labour action for the coming 10 years
3) Pilots/FAs earn more, AC earns more and spends less at the same time - a win--win situation

It´s time I became a consultant and sold these ideas to AC.
Just one thing missing from your plan.. They need FA like the ones on NH to sell.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Please make sure you don't buy a pinata!!!

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/daily...203036941.html
Old Mar 22, 2012, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by djjaguar64

very soon u will see that for sale on AC's duty free
Old Mar 22, 2012, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
I was just browsing through the AC Duty Free catalogue and stumbled across the following item:

all natural liquid oxygen drops

Drink It Up! Helps with jetlag, fatigue, boosting your immune system, hangovers, fresher looking skin and it even purifies drinking water. Just add it to water or juice to revitalize while you’re flying. Bottle provides 2-month supply. Family friendly. Safe and healthy for everyone, everyday.

Add to water...
...or directly under your tongue.

ONLY $22.00CAD

No offence, but are there any idiots who buy this kind of crap? Seriously? Liquid oxygen drops? Why not also sell some homeopathic crap, too?

Maybe I should start my own business and sign a contract with the manager in charge for the duty free selection. A few obvious products come to mind:

1) magic water granting you super powers and an overall enhanced feeling of happiness
2) empty bottles containing 21% super-power oxygen
3) an AC cap protecting you from any sort of flight disruption*
* guaranteed to work on 95.4% of all flights

After a year I´d have earnt enough money to always purchase full-fare J/F tickets and I´m sure that would greatly improve my health and overall well-being.
Actually, homeopathic travel remedies work. As do travel essences made from flower tinctures - which I've used for over 10 years. I'll swear by these. But not the liquid oxygen stuff !
Old Mar 22, 2012, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller
very soon u will see that for sale on AC's duty free
I'll be the first to buy it for my 4 year old nephews birthday.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by djjaguar64

....attendant claimed pinatas are "not allowed on the plane because they are soaked in kerosene."

Braunschweig insisted the pinata was kerosene free and bought in a store that's in a secure part of the airport.
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?! Is the FA drunk or intoxicated or just jealous he/she never have a pinata when they were young? I guess this is AC FA making the claim? This is a new freaking low for AC on PR and Customer Service.

Peter Fitzpatrick (AC spokeman) please admit the FA make a bad judgement call, apologize (esp to the 8 yr old) and send her a new pinata!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.