Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Lapsed Super Elites keeping their old baggage tags

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lapsed Super Elites keeping their old baggage tags

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2012, 8:44 am

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by wwtsang
deja-vu on seeing a similar thread, just pointing out that it's an SE who starts it

i'll adhere to practice and get a piece of masking tape to cover the Elite wording for baggage tags that do not have an expiry date or year specified when i have no status to avoid any chance of triggering these threads in the future

- a lowly E-
Here Here! Ditto! and AMEN! Thanks ww, I will do the same...maybe I'll make something similar to the no-smoking symbols, and put a big red circle with bar across it, on top of where it says ELITE. ^^
Old Mar 17, 2012, 9:48 am

Wow all this discussion for what? I have decided I'll take off my PPS, CP Exec Plat, Concorde tags in case people get confused. But AC only gave me 2 SE baggage tags-- I am allowed 3 checked bags and 2 carry-ons so I'll have to find some more. Here I was mistakenly of the belief that baggage tags were to identify bags and NOT a way of proving status. ( No, I am not carrying last years card to give out in the lounges)
Old Mar 17, 2012, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by xLuther
Seen bad behavior out of both groups, slight edge to SE, but in my travels UA 1k as group seem to have greatest number of douches
No. That's AA CK.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 10:00 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by ac777
Here I was mistakenly of the belief that baggage tags were to identify bags and NOT a way of proving status.
But your belief is not mistaken. It's bang-on accurate. Just try using your current-year bag tags to get into a lounge if you aren't sure.

This thread provoked the responses it did because of the implicit DYKWIA in the OP. As another wise person noted, these "who do you think you are with those old bag tags" threads are quite usually started by SE's (and I would guess they are usually nouveaux-SE).
Old Mar 17, 2012, 3:08 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Souvlaki
Just try using your current-year bag tags to get into a lounge if you aren't sure.
Here's a twist for me. Left in February, was still an E. Came home recently, no longer an E (the cumulative changes to the AP over the past 7 years made status no longer worthwhile to me so I flew 0 status miles last year.) My boarding pass still said *G (ticket was bought when I was an E) as did my expired AP card because my new card had not arrived before I left. I took advantage of *G benefits but my traveling companion was *G so I wasn't cheating.

Now that I'm home, I went to put my new AP orange (or whatever colour card it will be) into my passport holder and realized I have not been sent a new card. The only AP card I have is my expired E one (I shred the old cards when the new ones come so only have one card in my hand.)

Am I to expect a new card in the mail? In the meantime, if you see me using it to have my number added to a PNR, it isn't that I'm trying to fool anyone or playing DYKWIA. I know I'm not E but AP hasn't bothered to send me a card to reflect my downgraded status.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 7:49 pm
Original Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.448 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

I think I might start a business selling bootleg FF status cards.

They'll probably all have the same name though.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 8:12 pm

Programs: ACMM SE100K; *G
Wow all this discussion for what? I have decided I'll take off my PPS, CP Exec Plat, Concorde tags in case people get confused.

Are you the guy I saw at YYC on Thursday? He was first in line at the gate while the inbound was still offloading, he had a combination of around 15 old tags on his THREE carry-on bags, including a current SE MM tag.

I will admit, sometimes these things get under your skin. However it was more the three fairly large carry-on items. When I finally boarded, I saw him in Row 1, bulkhead. Therefore, all three items went up top.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 8:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Originally Posted by mendy7511
Even though it is March already and presumably everyone has received their new welcome packages already, I still see lots of last year's SE tags.
I used to think these people where just too busy to change them, but today I see someone at YVR with last year's tags pull out his elite card for the lounge and his BP states E. Seriously, who are they trying to fool with the old (ugly) SE tags?
Nobody thinks you are SE anyway!
What is "SE?"
Old Mar 17, 2012, 8:17 pm

Programs: ACMM SE100K; *G
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
What is "SE?"
Super Elite. Think... 1K for Air Canada (cue the UA 1K scoffing By the way, what ever happened to whyfly?).
Old Mar 17, 2012, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
What is "SE?"
It's stated in the thread title
Old Mar 17, 2012, 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by j_the_p
By the way, what ever happened to whyfly?).
He downgraded to E and moved to the UA forum.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by j_the_p

Are you the guy I saw at YYC on Thursday? He was first in line at the gate while the inbound was still offloading, he had a combination of around 15 old tags on his THREE carry-on bags, including a current SE MM tag.

I will admit, sometimes these things get under your skin. However it was more the three fairly large carry-on items. When I finally boarded, I saw him in Row 1, bulkhead. Therefore, all three items went up top.
Sorry to disappoint you--it wasn't me because:
1. I cannot carry 3 carry-on's--the walk to A Gate 8 is too long!!
2. I am saving the tags
3. Row 1 on Dash 8 and Beechcraft 1900 ( my flights on Thursday) is a headache
4. No more than 2 tags at anytime--thank you.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 9:18 pm

Programs: E35K, Delta SM, AM ADV, Priority Club Plat, SPG Plat, MR *S, GR *E, Hyatt GP, AM
I thought flaunting foregone status meant a personal shiatsu massage when entering the MLL and more cookies and special ice cream when they bow in your honor!
Old Mar 17, 2012, 9:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AZ Exec, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
1. I cannot carry 3 carry-on's--the walk to A Gate 8 is too long!!
Try the walk to B24 (when it's configured for domestic/international)! It's a shame that B security is never open anymore.

Originally Posted by KathrynInCanada
Am I to expect a new card in the mail? In the meantime, if you see me using it to have my number added to a PNR, it isn't that I'm trying to fool anyone or playing DYKWIA. I know I'm not E but AP hasn't bothered to send me a card to reflect my downgraded status.
I don't think they automatically send you one and it's up to you if you want it or not. Personally, I'd just save the plastic and not bother. It's just a membership card, it's not like it'll confuse anyone or "look pretentious" sitting in your wallet.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 1:01 am

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
For myself, I actually keep all my old Elite luggage tags on my check-in bags. I like comparing how the designs have changed throughout the years.

I really don't understand why it gets under people's skin? I guess some people are just more AROC than the rest of us?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.