Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Lapsed Super Elites keeping their old baggage tags

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2012, 7:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Titanium, National Executive

Even though it is March already and presumably everyone has received their new welcome packages already, I still see lots of last year's SE tags.
I used to think these people where just too busy to change them, but today I see someone at YVR with last year's tags pull out his elite card for the lounge and his BP states E. Seriously, who are they trying to fool with the old (ugly) SE tags?
Nobody thinks you are SE anyway!
Old Mar 14, 2012, 7:54 am

Programs: AC *E/PC Gold /BW Diamond/Hertz Gold Plus/SPG Gold/Marriot Silver/ TUMI Alpha
I'm seeing E and SE tags from 3 years ago on peoples carryons. *FACEPALM*
Old Mar 14, 2012, 7:57 am

Programs: Aeroplan - E75, Delta Sky Miles - Silver, HHonors - Gold, Club Carlson Silver
Originally Posted by mendy7511
Even though it is March already and presumably everyone has received their new welcome packages already, I still see lots of last year's SE tags.
I used to think these people where just too busy to change them, but today I see someone at YVR with last year's tags pull out his elite card for the lounge and his BP states E. Seriously, who are they trying to fool with the old (ugly) SE tags?
I am sure there is an element of DYKWIA, but I would also suspect that they use them as luggage identification tags. I have 5-6 different bags. Some have tags from my status at AC (yes, old ones too), some have tags that take a business card which I get from a small charter service I use, etc. As a rule, I don't change them to match the year and the airline that I fly on.

The question you pose is curious, and draws one from me: why do you care? It is like people in white sneakers, or who wear white tube socks with their suit - they look stupid to me, but there are enough of them that I am sure others don't care. So I just don't worry about it!
Old Mar 14, 2012, 7:58 am

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
I have ~2002 era Delta Gold Medallion tags on one of my carry-ons. It's a luggage tag. I've gotten plenty more (and higher status ones) over the years, but why would I bother replacing something that is serving its full functionality?
Old Mar 14, 2012, 7:59 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by mendy7511

They are luggage tags. Nothing more. Nothing less.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 8:05 am

Programs: AC SE; SPG Plat, Fairmont Plat
Yup, I have 7 suitcases for different types and lengths of trip. They currently feature an array of years and levels - including elite tags from my preSE days. Just a baggage tag folks.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 8:08 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by stevenshev
I have ~2002 era Delta Gold Medallion tags on one of my carry-ons. It's a luggage tag. I've gotten plenty more (and higher status ones) over the years, but why would I bother replacing something that is serving its full functionality?
Boom, exactly.

What's more, if that particular passenger lost status altogether, what would he do? Remove the tag? Well now he doesn't have a luggage tag anymore

Seriously, not a big deal.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 8:09 am

i'm too lazy to take them out and figure where to store it or what to do with it....so i just have all three of them attached to my bag.........
Old Mar 14, 2012, 8:19 am

Programs: None anymore
Seems the OP wants to start a 'What's the Stupidest, Least Substantive thing you can complain about - AC' thread
I'd guess under this logic, all of those with FT luggage tags need to remove them once they stop using FT? Not that anyone would
Old Mar 14, 2012, 8:39 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by ffsim
What's more, if that particular passenger lost status altogether, what would he do? Remove the tag? Well now he doesn't have a luggage tag anymore
Or what if the passenger used a different form of transport. Like a train or something really goofy like that. And left the SE tags on? Who are they trying to fool then?

I don't know OP, but the fact that the comment even pops to mind screams of DYKWIA. As in "I'm SE and you aren't, how dare you suggest otherwise, even if innocently."
Old Mar 14, 2012, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have not bothered replacing fairly (sept?) new tags from last year so far. Also, sometimes I have more bags than tags. (Not that I travel with many.) At the end of the day I end up with some bags with old tags. Who cares?
Old Mar 14, 2012, 8:59 am

Programs: BA Bronze,ex-AC*SE,ex-AC*E,ex-AC*P, Marriott Platinum, Starwood Gold, Fairmont Gold, HH Gold
I still use the first issue SE tags, the heavy Brass and Leather ones. Never thought to replace them; they're just luggage tags to me.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 9:27 am

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by Souvlaki

They are luggage tags. Nothing more. Nothing less.
EXACTLY.

I have so many pieces of luggage, all I care is that my AE# is on them, don't care what year my SE tags are...

GIMME A BREAK!
Old Mar 14, 2012, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Its really hard to give up status I guess, we all get delusional for a while. I am hoping I am prepared for next year when I will not be an E any more. But I will make sure my old tags are recycled.

Last edited by djjaguar64; Mar 14, 2012 at 9:51 am
Old Mar 14, 2012, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Titanium, National Executive
Originally Posted by Flahusky
Seems the OP wants to start a 'What's the Stupidest, Least Substantive thing you can complain about - AC' thread
I'd guess under this logic, all of those with FT luggage tags need to remove them once they stop using FT? Not that anyone would
Foolish me, trying to start a discussion on FT without being branded a complainer and DYKWIA.
Will not happen again. Lesson learned.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.