Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Q about ticket cancellation/refund/credit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2012, 10:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: ACA 35K, Omni Select Guest Black

I bought a Latitude fare ticket online on the AC website. If I cancel the ticket online, and then book a new ticket, will I be able to use the credit from the cancelled ticket to pay for the new one, online? ... or will I have to talk to an AC agent?

Only reason I ask is that (as you know) doing stuff online will take me 2 min whereas talking to an Agent will take more like 20-30 minutes.

Thanks
Old Mar 2, 2012, 11:42 am

Programs: UA MP
Never tried it online. I have cancelled lat tickets before and got my full refund. Why don't you call in and get the full refund, and then book your new tickets online separately? This way the validity of your new ticket will start today (where as in a change, the ticket validity date remains as the original purchase date).
Old Mar 2, 2012, 11:54 am

Programs: AC Altitude -.006k
I have done that in the past and it work quick and well, both for Lat and other fares. Good thing it is Lat so you can avoid the $150 change fee, you still have any fare difference to deal with. g46r raises a good point about validity being the original issue date.

You can cancel online easily and rebook a completely new and seperate reservation. I have had cases where although a fully refundable fare, the refund wasn't automatic (I've even had an automatic reply stating the fare wasn't not refundable but a credit would be established); I'd either have to call in or email a refund request. It can take from a few days to almost two weeks to get the refund on your cc. Keep your original booking/fare rules, it comes in handy when replying to CS to prove your case.

All in all, do it online, change your original booking if you know you're going to use it up within a year.

But don't be surprised if you have to send a follow-up email for the refund (full or partial depending on what you change the booking to, if any). I've never had to actually fight to get a refund.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA MP
Originally Posted by WhiteYUL
I'd either have to call in or email a refund request. It can take from a few days to almost two weeks to get the refund on your cc. Keep your original booking/fare rules, it comes in handy when replying to CS to prove your case.
When I call in to get a refund on my lat ticket, they always give me a "refund tracking number". If the refund doesn't show up on the CC after about 2 weeks (which never happened to me) you can call back and ask about that refund. I also get an refund confirmation email immediately (usually before the phone is hung up).

I always prefer a refund/rebook when dealing with changing a lat ticket.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 9:04 am

Programs: BA gold
I am looking to buy a Latitude ticket as a backup in case I miss the original discounted flight the previous day, with the intention of cancelling it if I do make the discounted flight on time.

I just want to double check that the "full refund" mentioned in this thread is actually monetary refund, ie real money back in your bank account, and not just a credit/voucher/gift card that you have to use on Air Canada in future?
Old Jun 10, 2012, 10:48 am

Programs: AC*SE
Originally Posted by plgplg
I bought a Latitude fare ticket online on the AC website. If I cancel the ticket online, and then book a new ticket, will I be able to use the credit from the cancelled ticket to pay for the new one, online? ... or will I have to talk to an AC agent?

Only reason I ask is that (as you know) doing stuff online will take me 2 min whereas talking to an Agent will take more like 20-30 minutes.

Thanks
You can cancel online. I cancelled a latitude with an agent a couple weeks ago and had an emailed credit confirmation 60 seconds after I hung up. Took her 45 seconds to cancel.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 2:28 pm

Programs: AC Altitude -.006k
Originally Posted by Stez
I am looking to buy a Latitude ticket as a backup in case I miss the original discounted flight the previous day, with the intention of cancelling it if I do make the discounted flight on time.

I just want to double check that the "full refund" mentioned in this thread is actually monetary refund, ie real money back in your bank account, and not just a credit/voucher/gift card that you have to use on Air Canada in future?
If the fare rule state "refundable", like Lats are, then yes, it is returned in the original form of payment.

On the other hand, for example, canceled T+ tickets will get you a credit for future travel. Note that this credit is applicable to base fare, and not YQ or other taxes. New flights must begin 1 year after date of original issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.