Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Get a look at the 787

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2012, 2:21 pm

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Originally Posted by Away from YYZ
I was there at 10:50, but no directions were given nor any signs where the 787 was...
Right. We were there at about 10:40. The entrance was an unmarked "gate" lined by a bunch of balloons. We just ventured in and the bird was in a different hanger. When we were there, there were hardly anyone. We got to take our time to inspect everything before the crowd came through. By the time you were in the long line-up, we were already sitting by a table eating our BOB sandwiches.

Funny that there were a lot of crayons on the table for kids to color some AC plane pictures. Guests are not allowed. I wonder if AC has a lot of kid-SEs signed up for the event.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 2:24 pm

Programs: A3*G AC*nobody TK*nobody
Originally Posted by PreferBulkhead
Then next time be sure not to go!
I don't think there will be next time as I don't plan to keep my SE next year
Old Mar 2, 2012, 2:26 pm

Was it by invitation only or opened to the public? Their FB sure sounds like everyone is invited (to view the pics)
Old Mar 2, 2012, 2:26 pm

I would bet standard AC Y class will be 2-4-2, can't see a 2-3-2 not cost effective

3-3-3 is max for charter operators,
Old Mar 2, 2012, 2:27 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by jarusoba
Funny that there were a lot of crayons on the table for kids to color some AC plane pictures. Guests are not allowed. I wonder if AC has a lot of kid-SEs signed up for the event.
I took another tour around before leaving at about 13:50 or so. They were bringing in other groups, employees and families etc... Also, I think employees of the company that manufacture the 787's landing gear were also invited.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 2:27 pm

Programs: ACMM / Altitude S100K / HH Diamond
I don't think there will be next time as I don't plan to keep my SE next year
You will no doubt enjoy the gate lice events!
Old Mar 2, 2012, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by xLuther
I would bet standard AC Y class will be 2-4-2, can't see a 2-3-2 not cost effective

3-3-3 is max for charter operators,
sorry, i agree 2-4-2...dont know why 2-3-2 was stuck on my mind LOL
Old Mar 2, 2012, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller
Was it by invitation only or opened to the public? Their FB sure sounds like everyone is invited (to view the pics)
VIPs, senior execs and the like before 11a. SEs and media from 11a to 2p. Staff and families after 2p. Expect more staff and families tomorrow. Plane then goes on to BOS and MEX. BTW it was the same 787 that we toured on the SMD2 at Everett, 003.

The fuselage is slightly wider than that of the 767, at least where the floor is located. That plane was too narrow for a decent 2-2-2 business/first configuration so most airlines opted for 2-1-2 or some variation thereof on their international variants. This demo had 2-2-2 in business and it didn't appear too tight. 3-3-3 in coach. I expect AC will opt for 2-4-2 in the back, and this will be the norm for international variants on most carriers. 3-3-3 is just too tight for scheduled carriers, more suited for charters. (Of course it is rumoured AA will be going for 3-4-3 on its 777s from the current 3-3-3.)
Old Mar 2, 2012, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by Shareholder
That plane was too narrow for a decent 2-2-2 business/first configuration so most airlines opted for 2-1-2 or some variation thereof on their international variants. This demo had 2-2-2 in business and it didn't appear too tight.
2-2-2 business class demo config

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

BTW, here is a video of the landing at YYZ yesterday...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/theboei...82/?likes_hd=1
Old Mar 2, 2012, 3:23 pm

2-2-2 business class demo config

BTW, here is a video of the landing at YYZ yesterday...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/theboei...82/?likes_hd=1
Wow. Cool! Do we get those funny-blob heads to help us go to sleep on TATL or Pacific flights? They look so cool? Are they 21st century 3D blog tech, or 22nd micro-gel-sonic-brain-wave thinkers? This plane is gonna' be so awesome.

(Sorry. I was there today, and really enjoyed getting on the plane but loved your pic...)
Old Mar 2, 2012, 3:27 pm

From shots of Business class, 4 pod style across looks very do able. Which is better for AC since 767 it replaces can only fit 3 across.

Lets hope/I expect they revamp/upgrade pod style
Old Mar 2, 2012, 3:29 pm

Programs: UA1K2MM ACMME50 SQPPS HHDiamond Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I guess I am the only one that was not impressed by the 787.
Except for the size of the windows & overhead bins, I was not impressed.

I would take 777 over 787 anyday.

Having flown all the latest aircrafts from Boeing & Airbus, I prefer the 747-400s. Truly an elegant bird.

One I cannot wait to fly if & when Boeing gets its act together is the 747-800.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 3:31 pm

Programs: AC*SE
I enjoyed the event quite a bit. Did anyone get to go into the cockpit? When I got onboard, just happened a TV crew was filming, so I didn't get a chance to sit inside.

As for the econ side, wonder if the plebians would complain less if they get to rave at the back. They might not even mind a 3-4-3 configuration in such case.

Last edited by yodayoda; Mar 2, 2012 at 6:26 pm Reason: Replaced the larger version of the picture for a smaller one.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by yodayoda
I enjoyed the event quite a bit. Did anyone get to go into the cockpit? When I got onboard, just happened a TV crew was filming, so I didn't get a chance to sit inside.
787 Cockpit view

Old Mar 2, 2012, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
Wow. Cool! Do we get those funny-blob heads to help us go to sleep on TATL or Pacific flights? They look so cool? Are they 21st century 3D blog tech, or 22nd micro-gel-sonic-brain-wave thinkers? This plane is gonna' be so awesome.

(Sorry. I was there today, and really enjoyed getting on the plane but loved your pic...)
And you didn't try the blob? It really helps to empty your mind and put you to sleep quicker....

Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.