Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Get a look at the 787

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2012, 6:56 pm

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Originally Posted by yyzprincess
I guess I am the only one that was not impressed by the 787.
Except for the size of the windows & overhead bins, I was not impressed.

I would take 777 over 787 anyday.
No, you're not the only one. My wife and I think this way too.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by jarusoba
My guess is, only the early birds get to go up there. We did, before the crowd appeared.

The entrance to the crew rest is at the rear of the plane. That was on our way out of that exhibit. The crew rest area is so small that only one person at a time can go up, take a peek, and go down. If everybody was to go up and take a peek, the line would have moved even more slowly.
I was in about 11:10.

No lines, and the crew rest was open to view.

Shortly after, about 1145, there were lines for everything.

At that point I figured it was EliteTrash, a group sort of like EuroTrash.

(ducking)

In any event, lots and families and staff around 11 too. It was all pretty awesome ; lots of excitement, and rightly so. It is a very cool plane, and anything which boosts the spirits of everyone involved with the airline (customers and staff) is a good thing.

Still appalled no one knew Andrew.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 8:12 pm

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by jarusoba
My guess is, only the early birds get to go up there. We did, before the crowd appeared.

The entrance to the crew rest is at the rear of the plane. That was on our way out of that exhibit. The crew rest area is so small that only one person at a time can go up, take a peek, and go down. If everybody was to go up and take a peek, the line would have moved even more slowly.
There are, of course, two rest areas - one with two spaces right behind the cockpit, and the other at the rear with more spaces. There are no centre bins at the front, as the pilot rest area occupies that space.

Shortly after, about 1145, there were lines for everything.

At that point I figured it was EliteTrash, a group sort of like EuroTrash.
There were evidently 800 SE RSVPs, so the early lines were all SEs. The AC staff, families etc arrived after 2.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 8:19 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller
was celine dion there singing?
ahaha!
Old Mar 2, 2012, 8:39 pm

Programs: AC MM 50K, Marriott LTT
More cockpit images.

Last edited by Melville; Mar 2, 2012 at 8:59 pm
Old Mar 2, 2012, 9:18 pm

Programs: ACMM SE100K; *G
I thought it was a fantastic event. I really appreciated the chance to see the B787 up close, chat with the Boeing staff, meet some FlyerTalkers (wish I'd met more) and chat with some of the AC folks. I thought the fashion show was a nice touch. And touring the Lockheed L-10A was cool but claustrophobic for a 6'6" guy like me.

I talked with the guys who run @ACTopTier and @AirCanada on twitter. They said that they knew of Andrew Yiu but they thought he'd taken a new job. The guys that manage the twitter accounts are not the same as our FT member ACTopTier. I was surprised by that.

I tweeted my pics (some are pretty bad), so here's my shameless twitter plug.

...also ran into Parnel.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 2MM_Guy
Going with Panasonic for the IFE (as mentioned in either of the MP/FT threads - they are blending in today)
Which they might as well as done originally back in 2006......
Old Mar 2, 2012, 11:37 pm

Programs: AC*SE 1MM
They were handing out posters with a nice scene of a 787 crossing the Canadian landscape - with iconic Canadian images. Mountains! Curling! Mounties! Chuckwagons! Vancouver! Skydome! Olympic Stadium!

And a photo of a hockey game between, of course, the New York Rangers and Washington Capitals.

Old Mar 3, 2012, 2:06 am

One of my best mates and best man @ my Wedding Red Shannon report CIBC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yM_IS...ature=youtu.be
Old Mar 3, 2012, 7:14 am

Programs: Just a kettle now :)
Originally Posted by j_the_p
The guys that manage the twitter accounts are not the same as our FT member ACTopTier. I was surprised by that.
Yep, I asked about whether they support members on Flyertalk, or other forums, and got a very "we don't touch that with a ten foot pole" reaction

Overall, a very fun event, lots to see and do. The fashion show was cool, too. Well done ^
Old Mar 3, 2012, 8:02 am

Programs: AC S100K (formerly AC*SE), AC 2MM, AMEX Plat, Marriott Platinum Elite
It seems like a lot of FTers/MPers made it. In retrospect, maybe we should have thought of a meeting point to put faces to handles. or a game of tag with Shareholder (as everyone knows him - lol)
Old Mar 3, 2012, 9:24 am

Programs: AC SE, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold, Priority Club Gold
Originally Posted by Away from YYZ
I guess we are all SE/VIP, this is the priority boarding lane.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Hey, that's my ear!

(I took the same pic too thinking the thing )
Old Mar 3, 2012, 10:11 am

To those who took Picts thank you very much. I really like the new windows but think it a step back to lose the private pods we have now in the 777.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 10:29 am

Programs: ACMM / Altitude S100K / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by nobody-elite
To those who took Picts thank you very much. I really like the new windows but think it a step back to lose the private pods we have now in the 777.
No one has said we are losing anything. The layout in the 787 was simply for the test configuration. It did not reflect ACs choice of seating at this point-in-time.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by j_the_p
...also ran into Parnel.
My condolences...

BTW did anyone else think it was curious that there was no Aeroplan presence at the event. No booth. Didn't spot any familiar AE staff/exec faces in the crowd. Were they afraid to face the complaints over increased redemption chart, fuel surcharges and other degradation to the program? (FYI: I don't count the AC elite group as Aeroplan.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.