Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC weighing carry-on bags

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2012, 1:26 pm

Programs: AC LT E50K; AC*MM; SPG LT Gold
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Please correct me if I´m wrong, but I thought the bag goes into the regular luggage hold when it´s gate-checked and is not delivered to the jetbridge, but rather goes to the regular baggage carousel.
I've never had to do this on AC, but on CO the gate-checked bags are brought up to the jetbridge.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 1:55 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
I think it's great AC is enforcing this. Too many people bringing their kitchen sink nowadays.

Originally Posted by upgradesecret
http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviatio...-faq4-1346.htm
4. What are the requirements for the amount of carry-on baggage that a passenger may carry on board an aircraft?

The Canadian Aviation Regulations require each airline to establish the maximum number of articles or combination of articles that can be carried on board an aircraft per passenger per flight. This requirement forms part of an airline's Carry-On Baggage Control Program, which must be approved by Transport Canada. The airline's carry-on baggage control program must be appropriate to their aircraft types and configurations. The purpose of this program is to prevent the boarding of carry-on baggage that exceeds the weight, size, shape and total volume limitations of the approved stowage areas of the aircraft. All carry-on baggage must be safely stowed in an approved location on board the aircraft. Therefore, the amount and size of carry-on baggage may vary between airlines, as it is dependent on the amount of available stowage space on each aircraft.

Some airlines have developed a sizing device to assist with the acceptance and refusal of carry-on baggage. Carry-on baggage must fit within the dimensions of this sizing device. These devices are generally located near the check-in and gate areas.

To prevent boarding delays, it is advisable that passengers enquire about the airline's carry-on baggage limitations prior to arriving at the airport.
Too bad CATSA says 2 carry-ons, period. And, I was unfortunate to have that enforced once at YUL.

Originally Posted by yvr76
Likewise. I have a B&R Baseline U421X. Specs are 8" x 14" x 21.5". The width and depth are spot on, but the height is around 22.5" with wheels etc.

AC's requirements are 9" x 15.5" x 21.5". Mind you, the U421X will fit wheels first in every overhead that will fit standard carry-on, so I'm not looking for any special treatment. I'd be pretty annoyed if AC wouldn't let me use my $400 investment to prove a point if it won't fit in their metal sizer by 1".
And that B&R is notorious for being just over the legal sizer limits.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 2:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by fin 645
+1

This is precisely the point. Before AC starts enforcing carry-on rules for everyone, deal with checked baggage delivery times (particularly getting priority bags out quickly), then give its FFs notice, then implement it.

This smacks of AC looking for more revenue without a thought of the impact on its best customers - that wouldn't happen, would it!?
Ridiculous. I have in 30 years of flying NEVER experienced a lost bag. The longest delay was 2 days ONCE. And in less than 1 in 200 flights my bag might arrive a few hours late (next flight type of thing). In the past two years neither me nor anyone I travel with has had ANY bags delayed

I often travel with max checked bags meaning 3-6 pieces when travelling with someone. I estimate last year alone airlines carried about 2 tons of luggage for us with nothing damaged, never mind lost or delayed.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 4:41 pm

Programs: AC E
Originally Posted by Clipper801
They should be checking the piece count, size and weight at the entrance to security, NOT at the gate.
Yes, but who staffs this area, and how do you propose they figure out which passengers are traveling on a particular airline? Security is NOT the place to scrutinize the size/weight/number of bags nor create any further bottlenecks.

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
This is why on WS these problems don't exist.
Well, it helps that WS pax are generally less-frequent flyers who tend not to take advantage of the benefits of carry-on bags only and the overhead bins in a 737 are quite large. But to state that "on WS these problems don't exist" is disingenuous at best.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by threepoint
Yes, but who staffs this area, and how do you propose they figure out which passengers are traveling on a particular airline? Security is NOT the place to scrutinize the size/weight/number of bags nor create any further bottlenecks.

Well, it helps that WS pax are generally less-frequent flyers who tend not to take advantage of the benefits of carry-on bags only and the overhead bins in a 737 are quite large. But to state that "on WS these problems don't exist" is disingenuous at best.
I've flown WS YVR LAX v.v many times over the last 8 months and have never experienced a problem of not having enough overhead space.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 5:18 pm

Programs: AC E
I've flown WS YVR LAX v.v many times over the last 8 months and have never experienced a problem of not having enough overhead space.
Fine. I'm sure a few of WS' hundreds of thousands of other customers may dispute the absolute nature of your original statement: "on WS these problems never exist". Let's just agree the in-cabin space on WS is often greater than on AC.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 6:34 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by Mauricio23
I fully support carry-on size enforcement, with the strictest limits. It is your responsibility to measure a bag before dropping hundreds of dollars on it. Going over size reduces available space for other passengers, and creates delays when people are unable to fit their bags into overhead bins.

On weight, though, I think airlines should stand back. Unless someone is carrying lead or rocks, carry-ons of allowed size will not weight more than 15 kg or so. I regularly travel with my (large) laptop, DSLR, and 2-3 moderately heavy lenses. My bag, which easily fits in the carry-on sizers, clocks in at 13 kg or so. What am I supposed to do, buy a second ticket for it? Most of the time, it weights far less than the difference between my own weight and that of some "customers of size", which pay the same fare as I do.

Ridiculously enough, I could stay within the restrictions by bringing a separate laptop bag (personal item, which I don't normally take) and sticking the 3kg laptop + accessories in it, thus bringing my main bag to 9 kg. This would result in both more weight and more space used, but would be perfectly legal.
I have to agree, although I am a bit biased. I regularly travel with 50+ lbs of camera gear in a backpack. The pack is a milspec, carryon sized legal bag. Glass weighs a lot, particularly with the type of equipment I am carrying. Seeing 225lb, 5'0" men and women get on with 2 carry-ons and a purse the size of me (at 145lbs), and then having my pack weighed and denied be more than a tad upsetting - particularly considering my backpack contains $80 000+ in fragile equipment.

As long as you can fit your bag in the little frame, there shouldn't be a problem.

Not to mention, when I get to where I am going, I have to be able to work. AC has lost my checked bag at least a dozen times int he last 18 months. Add another half dozen times for partner star alliance airlines. It's a red and black checkerboard Ogio wheeled bag. It is LARGE, 9900 cubic inches. How on earth do you lose that? If they lose, yet won't insure, my professional equipment that I need the minute I arrive - I'm sunk.

I can buy fresh underwear in Africa, the chance of buying a 400mm F2.8 lens and at least 1 pro body on the ground is not likely.

Last edited by Transcendmag; Jan 28, 2012 at 6:41 pm
Old Jan 28, 2012, 9:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Tangoer
Not really a big deal? If your bag is gate checked you simply pick it up on the bridge while exiting plane? Takes a little longer - retreiving it from belly of the beast - but not so long as regular baggage.
If a bag is gate checked and not charged for, its certainly not a big deal at all.. I thought the purpose of checking the weight of carry ons was to charge for checking the bag.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
If a bag is gate checked and not charged for, its certainly not a big deal at all.. I thought the purpose of checking the weight of carry ons was to charge for checking the bag.
I always bring oversized carry on when my boss forces me to fly (gasp!) Delta.
I always gate check it for free.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 9:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
I always bring oversized carry on when my boss forces me to fly (gasp!) Delta.
I always gate check it for free.
Delta was no frills, and our experience last year with DL wasn't too bad.. We used their gate checking services with each leg as we folded up a stroller at the gate.. Once IIRC, they gate checked our carryons, and appeared on the luggage belt upon arrival..
Old Jan 28, 2012, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Talking

Delta was no frills, and our experience last year with DL wasn't too bad.. We used their gate checking services with each leg as we folded up a stroller at the gate.. Once IIRC, they gate checked our carryons, and appeared on the luggage belt upon arrival..
Luckily I haven't flown them at all this year.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 10:06 pm
Suspended

Luckily I haven't flown them at all this year.
DL scored me a return flight Christmas Break YYC-MCO for $320 all in..

At that price, I'll suffer..
Old Jan 28, 2012, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

DL scored me a return flight Christmas Break YYC-MCO for $320 all in..

At that price, I'll suffer..
Here in YVR I just go to SEA and those prices can be found on UACO and AA as well.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 10:15 pm
Suspended

Here in YVR I just go to SEA and those prices can be found on UACO and AA as well.
For Christmas Break? At YYC, all the prices were over $1,000 round trip in Y for Christmas Break when I was checking..
Old Jan 28, 2012, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For Christmas Break? At YYC, all the prices were over $1,000 round trip in Y for Christmas Break when I was checking..
Were they at least Y or B so that you need less eUGs?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.